08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph chairs, stools, sofas, benches, etc…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Switcheroo’d this theme since consensus was that “Fish” was too soon. So no, your eyes aren’t deceiving you–this was previously “Fish” and now it’s “Chairs”.

ravnostic
    Participant

Photograph fish that look like chairs. *wait* I’m confused. 😉 The musical chairs is too my liking; I can do that in a week…

Kestrana
    Participant

ugh I had a great idea of where I wanted to go to take pictures for this but can’t pull it off in a week.

Thanks kat
    *grumble*
    Ignore me I just drove from Chicago to Connecticut and I’m really really bitchy. Chairs is fine. At least I own some.

U-Man
    Participant

I had my fish all ready. I understand that it is a harder one to pull together, though. So, it’s all goooood.

Kes, can I do a punctuation joke? Yes? Thanks

Ignore me. I just drove from Chicago to Connecticut. And I’m really, really bitchy.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I went out this morning to shoot for this one, I had a shot in mind, I scouted the locale during another shoot.
    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/4824604866/in/set-72157623259318279/) it’s the couch on the right, there were also some chairs on the platform to the right.

I showed up this morning and someone was sleeping on the couch, and I thought ‘shot, I can’t photograph that now’. A second later I felt bad, because that was the guys bed and all his worldly belongings. Then I started to wonder if I could photograph that scene instead…

Does that make me a bad person? My first thought wasn’t ‘poor guy living between an industrial building and a railyard’, but rather, that the planned shot was gone.

In the end I walked away quietly without any pics. I had to go with plan B, which I think will work out fine.

ravnostic
    Participant

Pope I’d have taken the opportunity; even if not for this contest. You never know what contest will be coming up that you could use it in.

I, too, went shooting this morning for this contest. Had a particular seat in mind in Downtown Mesa, then wound up walking around for two hours taking pics of other seats and other stuff I thought were good (plenty of fodder for the contest, haven’t even looked yet but they are downloading now.) I happened into the Mesa Arts center, and there was an opportunity there so I was shooting. There’s a large pool/stream/artsy sculpture thing next to me, but it’s dry. As I’m shooting, the water comes on and it starts to fill. Moved the camera to a location to focus on that; took a few dozen pics; I think I’ll have one in ‘waterscapes’. Serendipity, completely! I never pass up a shot if I think it will be a good one.

U-Man
    Participant

Pope, I understand your emotions. And no, having emotions doesn’t make you a ‘bad person’. 🙂 If I could do it without being a jerk, I totally would have taken some shots of the homeless guy. I am really, really attracted to that gritty stuff.

Curious
    Participant

Does that make me a bad person? My first thought wasn’t ‘poor guy living between an industrial building and a railyard’, but rather, that the planned shot was gone.

In the end I walked away quietly without any pics. I had to go with plan B, which I think will work out fine.

short answer no. you were in your “photographer” mode not your “help the homeless” mode. photo journalists face this regularly.

overall i think you made the right choice but mostly because IMO the shot wouldn’t have worked as well for this theme with the guy in it.

Curious
    Participant

Pope, I understand your emotions. And no, having emotions doesn’t make you a ‘bad person’. 🙂 If I could do it without being a jerk, I totally would have taken some shots of the homeless guy. I am really, really attracted to that gritty stuff.

my sister has a sort of symbiotic relationship with a homeless guy near where she lives. she likes street shots and had seen the guy regularly and finally ask if she could take his picture. a series of shots from that resulted in a couple of local art show prizes for her and a few bucks for him. a win win.

in her case a grab shot wouldn’t have worked since she wanted close ups of his face 🙂

zincprincess
    Participant

This discussion brings up an question, are people in or out for this contest? Since it hasn’t been stated I’m assuming it’s fine either way. U-Man can correct me if I’m wrong.

olavf
    Participant

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’ve probably got plenty for both, but y’all know me…I’m partial to stuff with people in them 😛

but if not, that’s fine too.

On a side note, what about people using things that aren’t ordinarily chairs?

LeicaLens
    Participant

This discussion brings up an question, are people in or out for this contest? Since it hasn’t been stated I’m assuming it’s fine either way. U-Man can correct me if I’m wrong.

Surely people should be allowed for this one. I mean, sometimes who is sitting there defines the seat.

lokisbong
    Participant

Surely people should be allowed for this one. I mean, sometimes who is sitting there defines the seat.

I sure hope so because 2 of my favorite choices are self portraits because the seats just “needed” somebody sitting there. I was also wondering about the nontraditional seats. Like a guy sitting on a natural rock overlooking the ocean

justkat
    Participant

Yeah, one of our favorite people watching haunts has plenty of real seating, yet people tend to make chairs — if you will — of just about anything that doesn’t move too quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)
  • The topic ‘08-18-10 – Have a Seat’ is closed to new replies.