08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

While 2nd place is nothing to scoff at, I think I got bumped out of first with a last minute, after-it-was-called vote two weeks in a row. That stings a little.

U-Man stats:
    – Average Standing: 16.71 (1st place, almost half of 2nd place)
    – Average Votes/Entry: 27.05 (1st place)
    – Recent Vote Count: 723 (1st place)

And not just the one, but TWO entries tied for second place. Forgive me if I don’t shed too many tears. 😆

Seriously, though, both of those pix were really nice. I actually favored the Peoria airport pic.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

While 2nd place is nothing to scoff at, I think I got bumped out of first with a last minute, after-it-was-called vote two weeks in a row. That stings a little.

This is why I hate calling these things, especially when they’re close. I only call it because people asked me to after we stopped doing it for awhile. But calling it does nothing to prevent late votes, and once the thread’s closed, I can’t post a congrats, even as a mod. Soooo yeah, sorry 🙁

U-Man
    Participant

Oh, I’ll live. 🙂

How/when does a thread close? Is there a specific time? Does a person do it or is it on auto-pilot?

orionid
    Participant

I was there once and it stung a little.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve been there, too. My very first “win” was called as a tie that ended up with me 3 votes back in second by the time the thread closed 😕

As for the time the thread closes, it’s random thing as far as I know. It typically closes sometime after midnight Sunday morning, but beyond that, it seems random.

Maybe I just shouldn’t call it on Farktography.net until it’s for sure closed on Sunday. The Fark thread might still be inaccurate, but the thread here will reflect what the actual final tally is. I think when it’s a tie and it’s called before being closed, it’s kind of like a beacon saying, “Hey, somebody break this tie!”

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh, I’ll live. 🙂

How/when does a thread close? Is there a specific time? Does a person do it or is it on auto-pilot?

Gee, and I thought I’d broke the top 5 again! I certainly can’t complain; I’m in the top 10 in 3 of the last 5 (and 2/top 5), and that’s a far cry from where I started 6 months ago. A whole heap of credit and kudos to the folks here who’ve helped me improve my skills with advice and suggestions.

I’m AM disappointed,though, at Because I Said So‘s finish with the towel critter. I thought for sure that would be in the top 3; it’s STILL my favorite pic. Just goes to show them voters are hard to gauge.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

First, I hope everyone took my previous comment as the light-hearted ribbing that it was intended to be. I know that even though it’s all just good fun, it’s still a competition and that’s what adds to the fun, so last minute upsets can be “heartbreakers.” In my world, that consists of seeing a couple of entries slide out of the top ten.

Maybe I just shouldn’t call it on Farktography.net until it’s for sure closed on Sunday. The Fark thread might still be inaccurate, but the thread here will reflect what the actual final tally is.

Are you saying you just should delay posting the winner (with the winner still based on the Sat night cutoff), or that the winner should be as reflected in the Fark thread when voting is closed?

Personally, I like the latter option. That’s what the FSM stats are based on, so otherwise the stats don’t truly reflect the results and are somewhat meaningless. I’d hate to think Schnee put all that work in for nothing. 🙂

Gee, and I thought I’d broke the top 5 again! I certainly can’t complain; I’m in the top 10 in 3 of the last 5 (and 2/top 5), and that’s a far cry from where I started 6 months ago. A whole heap of credit and kudos to the folks here who’ve helped me improve my skills with advice and suggestions.

And justly so, rav. Your last-minute entry was quite a nice pic. I really loved the color of the reflected sunlight on the water.

I’m AM disappointed,though, at Because I Said So’s finish with the towel critter. I thought for sure that would be in the top 3; it’s STILL my favorite pic. Just goes to show them voters are hard to gauge.

You and me, both, brother, you and me both. I guess I can’t say I’m really surprised, though, because I have no freaking clue what drives the voters. 🙂

zincprincess
    Participant

I’m AM disappointed,though, at Because I Said So‘s finish with the towel critter. I thought for sure that would be in the top 3; it’s STILL my favorite pic. Just goes to show them voters are hard to gauge.

I really liked that pic too.

I can’t figure out the voters either. My highest vote getter and best place finish was this week, and I was sort of meh about even entering that picture. Clearly, I know nothing about what the voters want.

ravnostic
    Participant

I can’t figure out the voters either. My highest vote getter and best place finish was this week, and I was sort of meh about even entering that picture. Clearly, I know nothing about what the voters want.

More often than not, it seems ‘the simpler, the better’ is a good general rule. At least that’s what I’ve been going with (when I can get it, of course), and it’s certainly improved my rankings. I think that’s where I ‘failed’ with my shot this week. I should’a cropped out the bird.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Maybe I just shouldn’t call it on Farktography.net until it’s for sure closed on Sunday. The Fark thread might still be inaccurate, but the thread here will reflect what the actual final tally is.

Are you saying you just should delay posting the winner (with the winner still based on the Sat night cutoff), or that the winner should be as reflected in the Fark thread when voting is closed?

Personally, I like the latter option. That’s what the FSM stats are based on, so otherwise the stats don’t truly reflect the results and are somewhat meaningless. I’d hate to think Schnee put all that work in for nothing. 🙂

Ummm yes? 😆 I mean I could delay posting the winner here until after the Fark thread itself closes, so I wouldn’t be doing the congrats here until sometime Sunday. That way, the winner would be as shown in the final Fark voting results just as the FSM stats are. I could still “call” the winner(s) on the Fark thread for congrats, but it would just be understood that the result is never final until the thread is closed. Hell, maybe I should put that as a disclaimer when I do the Fark thread congrats…

U-Man
    Participant

CauseISaidSo, no harm, no foul. I took it as intended. Actually, I hesitated with my post because, well, because I didn’t want look like a jerk. But it’s true, first is better than second and missing out X3 (in the past two weeks) after the congrats go out is stinky. 😛

Elsinore, I think your ideas are good. For both here and there.

Kestrana
    Participant

Now I feel bad for being happy about winning :/

ravnostic
    Participant

I wouldn’t be, Kes; going up against–and winning against–the U-Man is some damned high praise from the voters. U-Man is a photographic God*; to best him is to say something special about your picture.

*disclaimer: I don’t mean the U’ey is photogenic–though he is, in his own, humble way. I just mean he’s an excellent photographer whose skill is wasted upon whatever profession pays the bills that afford him his magnificent toys. Unless them skills save lives. Then it’s a close second. But on the hottie scale, you’re still better off with the big O. Just sayin’.

olavf
    Participant

Nah, you shouldn’t.
    /unless you bribed someone… 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nah, you shouldn’t.
    /unless you bribed someone… 😉

lol this^^^ 😆

They were both good pictures. Clearly the voters thought it was pretty tough to call either way. Enjoy your win–you were worthy. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • The topic ‘08-18-10 – Have a Seat’ is closed to new replies.