08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I’m suffering from a bad case of “don’t-know-what-the-freakin-voters-want” this week and could use some feedback in narrowing down my choices. If anyone feels so inclined and has the time, my potentials are posted here: Potential Have A Seat Entries. TIA…

I like 10 and 17 especially, but if you do not use 12 (and not 13 but 12), then you are a fool. That’s most excellently executed and a sure hit!

(*sniffles at the lost opportunity to do better*)

I’ve been figuring out that less is more most of the time; some of the others, while very good pictures (love the palms, but not for this contest), come across as too busy to me.

zincprincess
    Participant

My understanding of the theme is that seat or seats should be the focus. That said, I liked #9, 15, 16 and 17.

The inclusion of #12 is a must. Now I’m wondering if I should try to create my own “seat-scape”.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, rav. The ones you selected are at the top of my list, too, but I also really like 14-16 and I’d really kinda like to post the Concorde pic because although the pic itself isn’t really special, it’s a bit of a surprise if you’ve never seen the inside of a Concorde (you’d think spending $5K on a plane ticket would get you a little roomier accomodations).

Regarding the “too busy” comment, I think you’re right and the size limitation figures prominently into that. There’ve been many times when I think I’ve found the perfect pic only to see that it looks like crap when resized small.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks, zincprincess! Between you and rav, you’ve hit all of my favorites as well, which means for all practical purposes you’ve both been no help at all! 😉

Perhaps I should create an alt and run another 3 under that… (j/k of course).

U-Man
    Participant

I’m in for 12, 16 & 17 as well.

Decision making for this theme shows the difficulty in choosing between: a good photo, what fits the theme, what I think the voters will think. Will they understand that this theme is about the seat? Or will they be OK with the ‘shiny thing’ + a seat someplace in the frame. 🙂

I’m going with empty, man-made seats for this one. Partly as a self-imposed difficulty. Partly because I think that fits the spirit of the theme the best.

/unless I change my mind before go-time….

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Decision making for this theme shows the difficulty in choosing between: a good photo, what fits the theme, what I think the voters will think.

Nail. Head. Direct hit.

Thanks for the feedback, U-Man.

ravnostic
    Participant

Decision making for this theme shows the difficulty in choosing between: a good photo, what fits the theme, what I think the voters will think. Will they understand that this theme is about the seat?

Not that I don’t have a hard enough decision, but what’s you opinion of the cat in the tree?

The conflict:

U-Man wrote:
    As orionid so eloquently stated, “If it holds an ass, it is fair game”. I initially thought about man-made seats. But natural or atypical ones are fine.

vs.

U-Man wrote:

As I previously said, open interpretation is fine. I would like the sitting place to have significance though. I mean, just some guy sitting on something isn’t what this is about.

U-Man
    Participant

The cat in the tree is acceptable. The branch is the seat and it has significance to the photo.

That said, I think that there is some risk that people would have a different opinion. They might view it as not fitting the theme well enough to vote for it. Or, it might be a huge hit. I have posted photos that have succeeded because they were different. I have had some do worse than I expected because people didn’t “get it” like I did.

A lonely chair is the safe entry. A cat in a tree is risky but possibly worth it.

Helpful? 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

That reminds me of a pic I had lurking in the archives. (I won’t use this tonight.)

A friend’s dog likes to climb the tree in the backyard. Like, ten feet up.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/Rider_9749.jpg

ravnostic
    Participant

Helpful. Still, it ain’t no #12–that’s the most creative thing I didn’t come up with since…Toybowquelowsis. I’ll nap on it and make the decision in a couple hours. I already took a picture this morning that blew everything prior away (IMHO); to give up two of the original three pains me like a boil on my ass. Damn you, U-Man, for a theme that allowed me to take so many good pictures that I want to be Sybil for a day.

There’s always IDIDSAPT, however.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m at a loss for words. I don’t think I’ve ever seen or even heard about a tree climbing dog, but that’s hilarious. I’m not sure how I’d react if I just randomly stumbled on that IRL.

lokisbong
    Participant

That reminds me of a pic I had lurking in the archives. (I won’t use this tonight.)

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/Rider_9749.jpg

Back when I lived in Portland Or. I had a friend who had a pit-bull that regularly climbed the oak tree in the front yard. He typically would get around 20 feet up and only fell out once.and that was a cats fault. He was chasing it and the cat was way faster back down than the dog could pull off. Luckily the cat escaped and the dog was uninjured.

Kestrana
    Participant

If it makes any difference to you CauseISaidSo I am also using a picture from the Concorde…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

RE: what constitutes a “seat,” I totally am down with non-traditional options like a log or a rock outcropping providing there’s context that shows it’s being used as such. A picture of a random rock or random log with a caption like “I sit here sometimes” just doesn’t really cut it for me. A homeless guy sitting on a railroad tie? That’s a little more in keeping with a looser interpretation of the theme, but I can see an argument for it. It’s not my theme, but surely this theme wasn’t so difficult that people couldn’t come up with photos of actual chairs, benches,sofas, etc.?

/won’t call you Shirley anymore
    //today

U-Man
    Participant

I’m an idiot. I have been looking at this name – CauseISaidSo – for the past couple months wondering who CAUSEL was.

Also, just how am I supposed to pronounce orionid? Orio-nid? Orion-I-D? Oreo-nid?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 118 total)
  • The topic ‘08-18-10 – Have a Seat’ is closed to new replies.