08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-18-10 – Have a Seat

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Looks like I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

I don’t have a clear answer for you. It’s probably a bad idea to just hope it isn’t an issue. Isn’t it?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We can always hope. Whether it’s reasonable or not is another question altogether 😆

As for what qualifies/doesn’t qualify, would you see staircases, rocks, logs, car bumpers, pickup truck wheel wells, skateboards, etc etc as completely on-theme *on their own*? Cause someone might sit on any of those objects, but they’re not chairs, sofas, benches, etc. My personal bias is that if it has to be captioned to “make” it a seat, it isn’t a seat for the purposes of the contest, whereas if the photo shows someone sitting on any of those object, they’re obviously being used as a seat, and I can see an argument for them fitting within the theme. But without the context of someone actually sitting on them, they don’t really fit for me. Does that make sense?

/more glue?
    //And then the dinosaurs came!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

If it makes any difference to you CauseISaidSo I am also using a picture from the Concorde…

Cool, good luck with it! It really is a tiny cabin, isn’t it? It’s not one of my final selections, so we won’t have competing pix.

I’m an idiot. I have been looking at this name – CauseISaidSo – for the past couple months wondering who CAUSEL was.

Yeah, I think the ‘I’ is sometimes mistaken for an ‘L’ when abbreviating. You’ll also see it as CISS. I had to drop the “Be” from the name when registering here because when I registered BISS (my fark name), I screwed up and entered the wrong email and so could never confirm the account. I thought it might timeout without confirmation, but it never did and so here I’m CISS instead of BISS. Clear as mud, right?

As for the name itself, when I registered it on fark some 7 years ago I was up to my elbows in teenagers and my dad’s favorite answer to “Why?” suddenly made a whole lot more sense. 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

orionid is pronounced “hay-ewe”, or when talking to the cat “dah-dee”.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I think I understand what you’re saying, Elsinore, and if so, I agree. Basically, it’s this: if it’s not a “traditional” seat (something with the express purpose of having people sit on), then it should have some(one/thing) sitting on it to make it a seat.

Of course, it’s U-Man’s theme, so I’ll let him deal with that quagmire… 🙂

lokisbong
    Participant

LOL! That made perfect sense to me but I have been sober for a few days now. I am thinking really hard about moving to Nevada and need to be sober if I am gonna get a job there. My friends that live there say getting a job should be no prob as long as I am. The job market here is so bad I am having a hard time even finding minimum wage work.

orionid
    Participant

Also, just how am I supposed to pronounce orionid? Orio-nid? Orion-I-D? Oreo-nid?

Orion-id. Like the meteor shower.

Also, I like the U-Man / Elsinore consensus. Actual seat? gtg. Non-traditional? Must be holding ass or obvious to usage as ass-holder sans captioning.

orionid
    Participant

What’s your vector, Victor?

olavf
    Participant

When I was working on this one, my thoughts were along the lines of “obviously intended for sitting on” or “actively being sat on”. So besides the obvious chairs… A rock isn’t a seat unless someone is using it for one. The exception would be the “obvious” like a bunch of rocks arranged around a campfire (to provide seating for the campers).

U-Man
    Participant

I was at the dentist getting a cleaning and check up and I tried three times to respond on my smart phone and kept getting cut off because they were prompt. Dammit.

Yes. We’re all in agreement. If it is an actual, usual seat it is good-to-go. If it is an atypical, non-traditional seat, it has to be in use or obviously a seat without any sort of captioning.

I love dictionary.com with sound. Here’s orionid. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Orionids My wife and I have put in “dirty” words just for fun.

U-Man
    Participant

A hospital? What is it?

It’s a big building with patients. But that’s not important right now.

ravnostic
    Participant

/Listen Betty, don’t start up with your white zone sh!+ again.

Carry on.

ennuipoet
    Participant

What’s your vector, Victor?

We have clearance, Clarance.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    U-Man
    Participant

Nervous?
    Yes.
    First time?
    No. I’ve been nervous lots of times.

BTW – My airport pic is a different frame and different crop from the 2008 ‘Terminal Madness’ theme.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 118 total)
  • The topic ‘08-18-10 – Have a Seat’ is closed to new replies.