08-25-10 – The Book of Armaments

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-25-10 – The Book of Armaments

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

I gave up trying to out-guess the voters a looooong time ago, and don’t even try to cater to them so much any more. I just take the shots I want to take, and hope enough people like them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

The TP-51C I used this week is currently my desktop background at work. I like it because it gives the feeling of flight, and the impression that it was taken from the air. And the subtle nuances like the fact that you can see the horizon line reflected in the aircraft body. And, the fact that I could get a decent shot of an airplane moving at 250+mph with a 300mm non-IS without a tripod makes me happy. Other people disagree. *shrugs* The B-24 was fun, because it involved sitting on the roof of my house for 45 minutes to get 30 seconds of photos. With the plane coming straight at me, so I had to constantly adjust the telephoto to keep the framing right. I don’t think I cropped more than 5% out of either picture, if at all.

and, lokisbong I love the framing on the swivel gun. It’s definitely a nice shot. (it also seems to have bumped up a bit since I started typing lol). On the cap-n-ball, It’s definitely got the ‘cool’ factor, but shooting from a lower angle, so the trees were the background would have made it stand out better. And the lighting is a bit on the harsh side (FWIW, these are the sorts of things I complain about on my own pictures).

And, my recent average is finally higher than my overall average again 😛

-edit: and just to make me feel good about my photography, I kicked butt in a Fark contest. Won by 20 votes. Unfortunately, it was a photoshop contest :/

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

IMO, lokisbong your gunfire shot, cropped to just the gun and the smoke/fire area, would have ranked much higher.

That’s just what I was gonna say. loki, your timing and capture of the actual flash is what makes that pic special and at the small size we’re constrained to, if the interesting part of the pic isn’t a majority of the frame, I think it can get lost in the background and be overlooked.

zincprincess
    Participant

I’ve given up entirely on predicting the predilections of Farkers.

Me too. The stupid Elmo picture has gotten more votes than the picture I actually made some effort to make. However, I should thank Rav for giving me the idea for the Elmo picture.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well thanks for all the advice people. I will try to remember those points next time. I knew the smoke and flames were the important part but just didn’t think cropping it that much would be that much better but I never actually tried it. My bad I guess. My plan is to keep on learning till the day I fall over dead.

olavf
    Participant

FWIW, I’m really good at analyzing (my own) photos after the fact. Remembering all the shiat while I’m taking them, not so much 😛

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I knew the smoke and flames were the important part but just didn’t think cropping it that much would be that much better.

Something else you can try is to make a portrait crop of a landscape-oriented picture. That way you can still get some context to the picture while allowing your important part to fill a larger part of the frame.

I don’t know that it’s really worked for me, but who knows? The one’s I’ve done that way haven’t knocked any outta the ballpark, but they may well have done much poorer without it. YMMV, I guess is what I’m trying to say. 🙂

orionid
    Participant

FWIW, I’m really good at analyzing (my own) photos after the fact. Remembering all the shiat while I’m taking them, not so much 😛

*THIS*

/especially on film.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think I’m actually safe in offering congrats at this point this week–congrats, (Be)CauseISaidSo!

olavf
    Participant

I meant to post this in thread, but my dad is the guy that got me started in photography, way back when. I mean, he bought me a Yashika FX-3 when I was nine and let me loose. Which has me thinking I need to just show up at their house one day and take whatever prints and negs I can find before they’re all gone. He had an eye, and I like to think I inherited a tiny piece of that.

Anyway, the last Vigilante (RVAH-1) leaving the USS Enterprise, circa 1979. Some of y’all may know how purely awesome this aircraft was.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RVAHNAVY.com/RogerFolland?feat=email#5363280734476012962
    //the rest of the shots in that gallery are from the bellycam.

ravnostic
    Participant

Cause; congrats on your 1st #1!! (Don’t it feel good?)

olavf
    Participant

*THIS*

/especially on film.

yeah. I don’t have anything for film these days, but part of me wants to get back to it. It’ll probably mean medium-format though 😛

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Nice win, BecauseISaidSo!
    Also conga rats olavf on the PS win. If it’s the one I’m thinking of, that involved an Aardvark in space, I voted 🙂 😛

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Nice win, BecauseISaidSo!
    Also conga rats olavf on the PS win. If it’s the one I’m thinking of, that involved an Aardvark in space, I voted 😛

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks everyone. (And yes rav, it do feel good!)

I’m coming to realize that farktography is a bit like golf, at least for me. See, the thing with my golf game is that if I could be consistently bad or even mediocre, then I could say, “ya know, golf’s just not my thing,” sell my clubs and move on to something else.

But every once in a rare while, everything gels and the ball goes exactly where I was willing it to and it’s chasing that feeling that keeps me coming back for more punishment. 😆

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol in psychology, we call that intermittent reinforcement. And it forms habits that are hardest to break 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 174 total)
  • The topic ‘08-25-10 – The Book of Armaments’ is closed to new replies.