08-27-08 – Panoramics

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-27-08 – Panoramics

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

1st attempt at stitching.

lost 1/2 a dude in the middle 🙁

This is fun….going out at lunch and take some shots.

corsec67
    Participant

And somehow I ended up with an entry to this contest that is fairly politically charged.

And in another attempt, I ended up making the inside of a building look like a doughnut

U-Man
    Participant

And in another attempt, I ended up making the inside of a building look like a doughnut

That is sweet – in an M.C. Escher sort of way. How about presenting it vertically?

soosh
    Participant

that’s pretty cool, corsec.

corsec67
    Participant

That is sweet – in an M.C. Escher sort of way. How about presenting it vertically?

Would that qualify for entry into this contest?

I was thinking that it was too “processed” to be used here, but if I could use it…

U-Man
    Participant

I was thinking that it was too “processed” to be used here, but if I could use it…

I’m certainly not the judge and jury on this one but I think that it fits a panoramic better than a simple skinny crop. Just how proccessed is it? It looks like a nightmare of a stitch – any other fancy/selective stuff?

/plans to use at least one skinny crop because my n00b attempts at stitching look like….n00b attempts.

soosh
    Participant

this is the only pano i’ve done so far

It got all grainy, though, and I’m not sure how that happened.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t see why a vertical presentation would be a problem. I’ve got some verticals I’m considering myself. As for the processing, your page notes that you just used Hugin. I don’t see why that would be considered too much post processing since you just used Hugin to stitch the frames. Plus, there’s a bit of extra leeway for the stitching process in the first place, so if you need to clean something up a bit to line it up, I would see that as fair game. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

corsec67
    Participant

I would like an opinion if this would be “in theme”

This was only done in Hugin, with a final rotation that is always ok.

U-Man
    Participant

I would like an opinion if this would be “in theme”

This was only done in Hugin, with a final rotation that is always ok.

Can I vote for it yet?

I tried to do a stitched railroad track for vertical presentation with completely sucktastic results.

As far as your question Elsinore – I weighed in before. I think that an ALARA approach is OK. (As Low As Reasonably Achievable). We’ve got to do some selective stuff. We just can’t go crazy.

corsec67
    Participant

Can I vote for it yet?

I tried to do a stitched railroad track for vertical presentation with completely sucktastic results.

As far as your question Elsinore – I weighed in before. I think that an ALARA approach is OK. (As Low As Reasonably Achievable). We’ve got to do some selective stuff. We just can’t go crazy.

Actually, this isn’t that distorted, and I will enter it.

What it is like is a panorama where I spun the camera about a horizontal axis. I am getting gaps here because I tried to do a horizontal panorama by spinning the camera on a vertical axis, with two rows.

I guess it is a testament to the wonderful Sigma 10-20mm that I can switch directions like that and get something that even remotely works.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think you’re fine, corsec. And I also think that is one wild, kickass panorama.

I’m wondering if this is going to be to small looking.should I link to
    Oh yeah I forgot to say this is cropped not stitched.

That’s gorgeous. You should certainly link to the large version, but I think the smaller one you have for posting should suffice for the thread. If you can resize the large one to 640, there should be plenty of detail to get a good feel for the photo.

I posted the following somewhere but I can’t find it. Just want to be sure I’m understanding the contest, so here’s my question again. I’ve done two panoramics at size 640×149 and 640×178. Are those the correct sizes? They are really tiny! By the way this is a great contest. Never done it before and am amazed at how well the “stitching” in photomerge works.

I think you’re fine as far as aspect ratio goes. I think trying to define an exact aspect ratio for this contest would be difficult (and I don’t really want to play “measuring stick cop”), but I think it should be fair game if it’s obviously wider than a typical 6×4 (or thereabouts) photo. The 640 max Fark width does present a challenge for this contest, though.

I agree. That was pretty much the understanding with the Stitching theme before.

RcMacStudent
    Participant

Question for you guys, I’ve got his picture but I’m having a hard time figuring out a crop that helps illustrate the height of the falls (300+ feet) AND keeps it in a semi panoramic aspect ratio. Any suggestions?

Super-Biggie-Size stitched original ~5MB

Favorite crop thus far:

Also, is it considered bad photo-fu to post panoramas that have black or white chunks of missing picture in them?

linguine
    Participant

Also, is it considered bad photo-fu to post panoramas that have black or white chunks of missing picture in them?

For the most part Id say youre probably better off without missing chunks, but sometimes it can really fit the picture like swampas entry that won the other time we did stitching.

soosh
    Participant

I think you could go quite a bit tighter on the crop.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)
  • The topic ‘08-27-08 – Panoramics’ is closed to new replies.