08-31-11 – Pathways

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-31-11 – Pathways

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Thanks, Els! I was actually disappointed in that ’cause I wanted to make sure it worked properly under real circumstances. 😉

I did notice in scanning the data that there were a lot of entrants this week that didn’t read the part about “no people in the shots”…

Yeah I dont know how many have been moderated but there was only one of those where it really bothered me, the Brooklyn Bridge one. There was one of a big veranda staircase that had one little person walking away in the bottom that I thought fit the spirit of the theme since the focus was on the staircase and they were almost out of the picture.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yep, I lost count of how many images I pulled for that reason…

8, which is probably double the number I usually see (maybe more since if they were both entered and pulled between scans I’d never see ’em in the first place.) Oh, and alot of those I do see get pulled are for scarlet R’s, so it’s even more for rules violations this time…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol I shoulda known you’d know 😉 I can go back and count them up, I’m just too lazy to do that right now 😆 Funny that at least some of those were Scarlet R’s already.

Also, did i miss the Brooklyn Bridge one?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Oh, I didn’t mean that any pulled this week were scarlet R’s (they weren’t) – I just meant that when I thought of entries that were pulled in previous contests, the number that I was thinking was about the average count included those that were pulled for being R’s.

I only know the count because the scraper doesn’t actually delete entries that drop off, it just marks them as “to be deleted later” in case it’s just a hosting glitch. At the end of the contest, any entries still so marked get actually deleted.

I’m pretty certain you got the Brooklyn Bridge one. If this is the one that Kes is talking about, it’s here (assuming you can see deleted entries).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ah gotcha. And yes, I got that one.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, I’m going to be more or less offline through the end of this contest to the end of the next. I’ve got everything setup for autopilot, so there shouldn’t be any problems, but you just never know. I’ll also try to check on things at the start of the next one, but in case of unforeseen catastrophic error of some sort, it may have to wait until I get back.

Good luck, everyone!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Good luck, we’re all counting on you.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah that was a gorgeous photo but too many people. There’s “spirit of the theme but slightly outside the rules” and then there’s “didn’t read directions” – which I know you know quite well.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Indeed

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

oddmind, I immediately liked your “Highway 35, Woodside, California” shot when I saw it Wednesday night. And since I live in the area, sometimes driving home through Woodside when i-280 is congested, I wanted to figure out where it was taken. Well I finally got time to consult Google Maps today and realized Highway 35 is Skyline Drive! That’s one of my favorite destinations when I feel like I need to escape the stress of a normal day and got for a drive. You really captured the mysterious, larger than life feeling you get driving through the trees up there. It’s a fantastic photo.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

oddmind, I immediately liked your “Highway 35, Woodside, California” shot when I saw it Wednesday night. And since I live in the area, sometimes driving home through Woodside when i-280 is congested, I wanted to figure out where it was taken. Well I finally got time to consult Google Maps today and realized Highway 35 is Skyline Drive! That’s one of my favorite destinations when I feel like I need to escape the stress of a normal day and got for a drive. You really captured the mysterious, larger than life feeling you get driving through the trees up there. It’s a fantastic photo.

Agreed-completely agreed. I loved that photo from moment one.

U-Man
    Participant

(I usually don’t ask, but IMO clicking the pops-to-larger is worth it for this one)

It was indeed. I love the mix of stars and fading light.

Thanks. A quiet cornfield was just what the doctor ordered for that night.

Yugoboy
    Participant

My B-Side

I wasn’t sure enough people would interpret the aisle as a pathway…

Yoyo
    Participant

Just gotta say “Huzzah!” for no Scarlet R’s so far, and a shout out to CISS for adding that feature to Bibliostats!

Ok, I’m going to ask the stupid question: what is the Scarlet R?
    (So, I know to avoid it in the future, of course.)

olavf
    Participant

@Yoyo it’s when you post a picture that you’ve already used in another contest. Alternate frames (you know, when you shoot two frames, pick one, but the other one is really just as good) are fine, but you can’t use the same actual shot twice.

-edit: I have the frame number in the file name of every one of my shots, so it’s generally pretty easy for me to check before I post.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • The topic ‘08-31-11 – Pathways’ is closed to new replies.