10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Sicing polar bears on fellow Farktographers isn’t against the rules of Farktography, but it probably would be considered in bad taste.

Farktographers taste bad? Not like chicken?

Learn something new every…. 😉

linguine
    Participant

Would wild ponies be fair game?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

linguine, we discussed it in the suggestion thread and if I remember correctly, I think we said that would be OK as long as it was a wild setting (e.g., no visible fences or barriers that would imply a farm or ranch).

Uranus
    Participant

do fish fit the theme?

lokisbong
    Participant

As long as the fish don’t look like they are in a fishtank I don’t see a problem. Do you mean swimming free or caught on a hook?

Uranus
    Participant

swimming…

lokisbong
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with fish swimming in their native environment. To say otherwise would leave out the possibility of scuba or snorkeling shots.

aspidites
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with fish swimming in their native environment. To say otherwise would leave out the possibility of scuba or snorkeling shots.

So, me in the cage. Great White trying to get in the cage…..

Uranus
    Participant

are you saying we’re in with a chance because there’s no internet connection inside the shark ? 😆

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I guess I stand just as much of a chance of winning whether you post sharks trying to eat you or polar bears. All I have are desert lizards and a jack rabbit. No funding to get to the really spectacular wildlife.

U-Man
    Participant

Hey photo geeks – check out this nifty DIY trick.

http://www.wimp.com/easystabilizer/

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

U-Man, I’d read about that trick a while back and just got around to actually trying it when I took my oldest to Vegas a few months ago. My experience with it is that it works, but it’s in no way a substitute for a tripod or even monopod. It’ll give you (or at least gave me) another stop, maybe two at most.

U-Man
    Participant

I’ve never tried it. My father-in-law e-mailed the link to me. It fits in the camera bag better than a tripod. 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

//I linked it on G+ just today U-Man. I think the only difficulty would be in getting used to keeping the string taut. I wonder if a string loop wouldn’t do better–additional horizontal hold–just have to watch the stance.

Went to the zoo today, last resort. My original plan, having a really nice (I think) road runner picture by crazy-random-happenstance, was to go out east Tues. morning, and get a coyote where I know they happen to frequent. Having them both, I was going to toss breadcrumbs atop my brother’s signage for his business (ACME something-or-another), and wait for a token bird to land.

Since I’d kinda felt down about my chances, I was going to post each with it’s token latin name (Road Runner: Fasticus Birdicus; Pigeon: Aviatorus Decoyious; or some such) for the humor angle, at least for a fair show.

Woke up late, though, so went to plan B–the Zoo. And I got some decent picks, I’m happy with them. I think this will be a VERY competitive contest, and there will be LOTS of voting for a great many images, so I don’t expect much–but I’ll at least be happy with my shots, instead of grudgingly accepting.

So on the map at the zoo, “Coyotes” were listed, and I beelined it there (I still liked the idea) right away. But I couldn’t find it, so I asked a zoo guy where they were. Turns out the pair were brought in some 18-19 years ago, and they both died this summer. (“Where’s the coyotes?” “Underground, I imagine.”)

It just wasn’t meant to be.

kashari
    Participant

I’ve never tried it. My father-in-law e-mailed the link to me. It fits in the camera bag better than a tripod. 🙂

Since I’m not a DIYer, I bought a thing like this, but the cord thing winds up into a little box, so you can use it at different lengths. It’s in my bag & I usually forget it’s there. 😳 I think it does help with steadiness, but don’t think I’m steady enough to try and use it for a longer exposure.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are’ is closed to new replies.