10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

The best B&W has lots of contrast and fills the frame of the photo. Large areas of blank space make for boring pictures. (Dark or light)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

In SilverStag’s first photo, it does look more sepia toned to me, but the second where he boosted the blue in the shadows is very subtle, and I doubt anyone would notice the difference. If we want to keep it true black and white/grayscale as opposed to monotone/allowing various toning effects, we need to put that into the description, and just know that it’s going to be somewhat difficult to police given different monitors can impart different color casts….

sleeping
    Participant

Large areas of blank space make for boring pictures. (Dark or light)

Not neccesarily?

nobigdeal
    Participant

Large areas of blank space make for boring pictures. (Dark or light)

Not neccesarily?

There’s exceptions to every rule 😉

clouddancer
    Participant

Which explains why when I played with sending this to BW as a change of pace for my desktop (I have a widescreen desktop, 16×10) it came out okay. Thoughts?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/clouddancer19/Atrus/Barrelscolor.jpg
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/clouddancer19/Atrus/barrelsbw.jpg

I won’t post a picture of Atrus, but it does appear that a not so empty picture worked rather well.

justkat
    Participant

It’s my feeling that a not-too-busy picture is also good? But i guess that’s true for color too. =P Sometimes things that look busy in color look less busy in B&W. I’s learning! lol

Keep desaturating your pix, clouddancer, and see what looks good! I’m still developing my eye for what will look good B&W *before* I take the picture, but I am learning…

U-Man
    Participant

I know I got the credit for this theme, but that’s just ’cause I suggested the do-over. I don’t feel like I have any authority. That being said, if you’re looking for a decision to be made, I say we do shades of gray. No other colors.

And Justkat, thanks for the vote of confidence. But I see through your kind words to the fiendish JINX that lies within. 🙂 I have no real input for you. Bounce around on the web and see what other photogs have done. Open up several pics that you have taken that you just like and desaturate them. See what works. During the Color Pop discussion, sleeping suggested using the ‘Channel Mixer’ in PS for different B&W effects. I’ve played with that and suck at it. It’s easier (but probably not as good) for me to desaturate and then mess with brightness and contrast. I find that alot of the stuff I desaturate looks better when I make it darker and more contrasty.

corsec67
    Participant

Keep desaturating your pix, clouddancer, and see what looks good! I’m still developing my eye for what will look good B&W *before* I take the picture, but I am learning…

I am going to enter 3 IR pictures for this contest, but I will need to desaturate them since the filters aren’t perfect.

That is harder to visualize, since IR is a frequency we can’t see, so I have to visualize it by using the camera, although I can get a pretty good idea before I break out the camera.

sleeping
    Participant

During the Color Pop discussion, sleeping suggested using the ‘Channel Mixer’ in PS for different B&W effects.

Actually, I recommended the Black and White tool which does basically the same thing, but tends to be a bit easier to use and has presets. (layer > new adjustment layer > black and white)

U-Man
    Participant

I think I read that wrong because until about a week ago I was using CS2. Just updated to CS4.

U-Man
    Participant

That Black and White tool is pretty neat. It can really change the mood of a B&W pic. I especially like what I can do to the sky. Thank you very much for pointing it out, sleeping.

U-Man
    Participant

I am going to do at least one landscape. But b&w is so good for dark, depressing, wrong, harsh photography that I want to do some shooting specifically with this mood. I had in mind a kid (one of mine) smoking a lit cigarette. Do you guys think this is tolerable? I mean, I don’t want to cross the ‘OK line’, y’know. I’m going to do some sort of specific moody b&w portrait – I just like ’em.

soosh
    Participant

lines were meant to be crossed.

save now for therapy bills later.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I am going to do at least one landscape. But b&w is so good for dark, depressing, wrong, harsh photography that I want to do some shooting specifically with this mood. I had in mind a kid (one of mine) smoking a lit cigarette. Do you guys think this is tolerable? I mean, I don’t want to cross the ‘OK line’, y’know. I’m going to do some sort of specific moody b&w portrait – I just like ’em.

Do it do it do it do it do it do it.

If U-Woman gets PO’d tho I will deny all instigation!! 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Uhhh. Yeah. You guys weren’t really who I was asking. 🙂 (Mainly because I knew your answers would be the same as mine)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2’ is closed to new replies.