10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Shot in black and white or converted after the fact, show us your favourite people, places and things, in grayscale.

Thanks for suggesting this classic theme, U-Man!

justkat
    Participant

Hey U-Man – any tips (c’mon, you’re going to win anyway 😉 ) for those of us for whom B&W doesn’t come naturally?

edited to add: I would think you’d want a pic that naturally has a lot of contrast and (if this isn’t the same thing) you wouldn’t want bokeh. That’s all i got. 😛

SilverStag
    Participant

Grayscale required, or is tinted monochrome OK?

thepostess
    Participant

Excellent question.

olavf
    Participant

My vote would be ‘not’ given we just did selective saturation, and also because it’s more process-oriented than photography oriented.

linguine
    Participant

Tinted monochrome is the same thing as sepia right?

sleeping
    Participant

Sepia is one way to tint an image. There are others

olavf
    Participant

My bad. I was thinking of selectively tinted B&W’s. I’d prefer grayscale only, but I don’t have strong frrlings about it.

millera9
    Participant

I think that – based on the title of this theme and the entries in the previous version – we should limit this contest to grayscale. I do, however, like the idea of a “color monochrome” contest (be it sepia or teal or whatever you want) because I think it’s very challenging to employ that particular style effectively. SilverStag, if you want to submit that in the themes thread I would support it!

linguine
    Participant

Sepia is one way to tint an image. There are others

So sepia is monochrome but brownish only?

sleeping
    Participant

So sepia is monochrome but brownish only?

Basically; sepia toning is a process (or maybe a range of processes) that can be done to a Black and White print, and it produces colors in the red-yellow-brown area, but there are also a ton of other toners that can be used for different effects (iron, selenium, copper, gold etc).

It’s pretty common in BW printing, but it is also quite often done quite subtly.

Examples: http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/galerie/lang:en

SilverStag
    Participant

Here’s an example of what I do to most of my bw stuff:

It’s subtle, but I drove the highlights a little yellow and the shadows a little red. Here’s the same process, but going blue in the shadows:

I imagine some folk might not notice it unless put right next to a straight grayscale.

linguine
    Participant

I don’t care too much about which way we go, but I’d lean towards grayscale for this contest and then doing a monochrome contest where people could use whatever colors they felt like.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I tend to agree with linguine. Keep it black & white.

clouddancer
    Participant

So what makes a good B&W photo? I’m likely going to convert one of my archive pictures, even if only to play with for now, but I’ve noticed that not everything will work well. So, suggestions?

Edit: I can do B&W mode in my camera so playing with that won’t be a problem, I’m just used to doing color.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2’ is closed to new replies.