10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    clouddancer
    Participant

I’m sort of on the fence, but I’m also somewhat liberal when it comes to this stuff. I, personally would be okay if she just had the lit cigarette and it was implied that she was smoking, but I would not really care for it if she actually had it in her mouth and looking like she was puffing on it. Like I said though, that’s me. I’m not a smoking fan, but I can see where you’re going. Not sure how much of a say I get though, given I’ve only been doing this a couple of months.

linguine
    Participant

I am going to do at least one landscape. But b&w is so good for dark, depressing, wrong, harsh photography that I want to do some shooting specifically with this mood. I had in mind a kid (one of mine) smoking a lit cigarette. Do you guys think this is tolerable? I mean, I don’t want to cross the ‘OK line’, y’know. I’m going to do some sort of specific moody b&w portrait – I just like ’em.

The posting rules on fark say you can’t post illegal content of any kind which that might fall under, although I’m pretty certain I’ve seen images of other illegal activities in other threads, but they may be stricter about kids. Unless you’ve been giving one of your kids massive amounts of growth hormones recently to make it so they can pass for 18.

linguine
    Participant

On second though after looking through the booze contest again, unless the rules have changed the cigarette may be ok since there were a couple of quite young kids with beer and liquor bottles in their mouths.

U-Man
    Participant

I don’t know what I’ll do with it. To make it work without being a joke, it would have to be my 11-year-old. She’s getting to that age where that sullen good-for-black-and-white look is pretty natural. I thought about the 2.5-year-old. In my opinion, that would be pretty funny – but I am a bit off.

clouddancer – I’d say you have plenty of say. I asked. You answered. Thanks.

orionid
    Participant

If all else fails, claim the photo was taken in VA or NC. It’s illegal for minors to purchase, but not posses. Otherwise they’d have to arrest all the 16 year-olds that work on tobacco farms (there’s even a tobacco category at the VA state fair that extends through all age groups).

U-Man
    Participant

If all else fails, claim the photo was taken in VA or NC. It’s illegal for minors to purchase, but not posses. Otherwise they’d have to arrest all the 16 year-olds that work on tobacco farms (there’s even a tobacco category at the VA state fair that extends through all age groups).

How weird. Me and all three girls are going to be in NC this weekend. I’ll be sure to bring my camera. 😉

The middle one put up the least resistance today for my initial attempts at this mood. For a first try, I’m pleased with the results.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Ems_5526.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Ems_5502.jpg (The mood of this one creeps me out)
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Ems_5519.jpg
    and one not sullen –
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Ems_5515.jpg

I played pretty hard with the b&w tool on these.

olavf
    Participant

U-Man, I know that look all to well. Don’t ever, ever let her have a lighter or a book of matches when she looks like that 😉
    /great shots

U-Man
    Participant

She’s 8 and still thinks that I am at least related to Superman. If I can get this out of her now without much effort…

/Do parents of teenage girls sleep with one eye open? Do they sleep?

orionid
    Participant

U-Man, great shots. The first one looks kind of “Carrie” and the second looks more “Virgin Suicides.” Yikes! The last one has that “Cute but the evil gears are turning”

Be careful in NC though, I’m not 100% certain of their laws regarding providing. So even if possession is legal, you might still get pegged with providing or enabling.

As a side, one of the ideas I had for low-key (if it gets greenlighted) was a self portrait using a lit cigarrette as the only light source. This wouldn’t be encroaching too much, would it?

U-Man
    Participant

U-ManThis wouldn’t be encroaching too much, would it?

Oh hell no. Go for it.

/and I was kidding about NC. I just wanted an excuse for taking that pic. 🙂

olavf
    Participant

She’s 8 and still thinks that I am at least related to Superman. If I can get this out of her now without much effort…

My boy just turned 11 this year. Kat’s girls still have a few years to go. I’m kinda skeered…

orionid
    Participant

My boy just turned 11 this year. Kat’s girls still have a few years to go. I’m kinda skeered…

At first I thought I had no usable input along this line. Then I realized that it wasn’t all that long ago (10-12 years) that I helped contribute to the delinquency of a few teenage girls. Her parents slept resonably well. At least well enough that they didn’t wake up when I would climb the trellace, tap on her window, and have her sneak out. They even had a car sensor in the driveway that would sound a chime in the house. All that meant was I was parking on the street.

/I could give you a whole list of things to beware of.
    //Or her a whole list of pointers
    ///Like this protip: Don’t sneak out when the weather calls for snow.

orionid
    Participant

U-ManThis wouldn’t be encroaching too much, would it?

Oh hell no. Go for it.

/and I was kidding about NC. I just wanted an excuse for taking that pic. 🙂

Thanks man, and fair enough.

nobigdeal
    Participant

My girls are 25 & 18. Not only do you not sleep, but they are responsible for gray hairs, high blood pressure, ulcers,ground down teeth, etc etc…

good luck!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sorry for just now getting to the cig discussion…I’ve really been swamped the last couple weeks. Slowly but surely things are coming off my plate.

Posting a picture of a kid smoking a cigarette would not be NSFW or a graphic image, however, it may be legally inadvisable given they’re your kids and not just random street urchins you saw in a third world country somewhere. clouddancer’s mention of implied smoking rather than actual smoking might be safer from a legal perspective, but IANAL. There are some iconic photos taken in the 60s (can’t remember where) of fairly young kids smoking…like aged 11-13 or so.

FWIW, I once posted a shot of mini-Zeke with a beer bottle, though it was empty and I said so in the post. I debated it a long time, though (this was pre-mod days, I think). Not sure if I’d post it today or not. Think this one’s just going to have to be your call, U-Man.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2’ is closed to new replies.