10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

At first I thought I had no usable input along this line. Then I realized that it wasn’t all that long ago (10-12 years) that I helped contribute to the delinquency of a few teenage girls. Her parents slept resonably well. At least well enough that they didn’t wake up when I would climb the trellace, tap on her window, and have her sneak out. They even had a car sensor in the driveway that would sound a chime in the house. All that meant was I was parking on the street.

/I could give you a whole list of things to beware of.
    //Or her a whole list of pointers
    ///Like this protip: Don’t sneak out when the weather calls for snow.

Heh. I’m not so old that I don’t remember my shenanigans 😉 There’s a reason, for example, that the kids rooms are in the back of the house…

U-Man
    Participant

At first I thought I had no usable input along this line. Then I realized that it wasn’t all that long ago (10-12 years) that I helped contribute to the delinquency of a few teenage girls. Her parents slept resonably well. At least well enough that they didn’t wake up when I would climb the trellace, tap on her window, and have her sneak out. They even had a car sensor in the driveway that would sound a chime in the house. All that meant was I was parking on the street.

/I could give you a whole list of things to beware of.
    //Or her a whole list of pointers
    ///Like this protip: Don’t sneak out when the weather calls for snow.

Heh. I’m not so old that I don’t remember my shenanigans 😉 There’s a reason, for example, that the kids rooms are in the back of the house…

La la la I can’t hear you….

/going to find some sand to stick my head into.

clouddancer
    Participant

U-Man – Do you mind if I borrow your mood idea? Your pictures of your daughter made me think of my husband (I know that came out really wrong, but here I go). He has long hair, shoulder length, and he also has that “look” that your daughter was giving. Even if only practice, I convinced him to let me try. He already has a picture sort of like that for his profile on a couple of places, but I think I can make it better now. He probably won’t let me post him, but it should be fun practice anyway.

I don’t want to be stealing other people’s ideas so I thought I’d ask.

U-Man
    Participant

U-Man – Do you mind if I borrow your mood idea?

I don’t know how to answer this without seeming pompous. Yeah. I mean, no, I don’t mind at all. It’s not my idea. It just is. Go spend 30 minutes googling ‘black and white photography’. You’ll see what I mean.

Shit. Everything I do has been done before. I spend at least an hour every week looking at other people’s photos. It’s a good thing to do late at night.

Just yesterday I was looking at this photo blog of some dude up in Alaska. Sacredartichoke or something silly like that. Anyway, he had a pic of raindrops in a puddle. The text that went with it discussed the ugly mess just outside of the photo frame. That – along with this b&w theme – and the fact that it is rainy and yucky today -and many other things – made an idea crystallize in my head. I have often thought about “good light” for a photo. This implies that there is “bad light”. Well, today the light is “bad”. It is dreary. It has a sad mood. I just spent two hours down in the dingy, old, worn-out, industrial part of town taking photos that I hope will induce some sort of emotion in black and white.

I’m rambling. Go take pics of your moody hubby. 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

U-Man – Do you mind if I borrow your mood idea?

I don’t know how to answer this without seeming pompous. Yeah. I mean, no, I don’t mind at all. It’s not my idea. It just is. Go spend 30 minutes googling ‘black and white photography’. You’ll see what I mean.

Shit. Everything I do has been done before. I spend at least an hour every week looking at other people’s photos. It’s a good thing to do late at night.

Just yesterday I was looking at this photo blog of some dude up in Alaska. Sacredartichoke or something silly like that. Anyway, he had a pic of raindrops in a puddle. The text that went with it discussed the ugly mess just outside of the photo frame. That – along with this b&w theme – and the fact that it is rainy and yucky today -and many other things – made an idea crystallize in my head. I have often thought about “good light” for a photo. This implies that there is “bad light”. Well, today the light is “bad”. It is dreary. It has a sad mood. I just spent two hours down in the dingy, old, worn-out, industrial part of town taking photos that I hope will induce some sort of emotion in black and white.

I’m rambling. Go take pics of your moody hubby. 🙂

I’ve heard of that Sacredartidude I hear he sits out in the frigid cold with a camera for hours on end.

Something wrong with that guy.

Don’t sell yourself short U-man. You may not think you are original but you have a unmistakable style to your photography, and a great eye.

orionid
    Participant

What NBD said. On all accounts.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks guys. Part of me feels like I know what I’m doing. Another part recognizes I’m flying by the seat of my pants and learning as I go. Whatever, I’m enjoying myself.

Came here to give another example of the b&w tool or channel mixer for black and white photos. sleeping suggested it and I like it. I went to the old part of town today and took some shots. I plan on repeating some of them in bright sunlight with distinct shadows to check out the difference in ‘feel’.

Anyway, here is a cool old building front I found. The first one with medium red saturation is good. But I think I like the last one with the red saturation bumped up to give the arrow whiteness.

Original –

Cropped, sharpened, brightness/contrast adjusted –

Medium red tones with b&w tool –

Low red saturation with b&w tool –

High red sautration with b&w tool –

soosh
    Participant

u-man, thanks for the kind words.

I do have to ask you something, totally unrelated. Does that puddle image on my photoblog now look different than the last time you saw it?

justkat
    Participant

And Justkat, thanks for the vote of confidence. But I see through your kind words to the fiendish JINX that lies within. 🙂

Aw, no man. I wouldn’t do that. What would be the point anyway… you could probably take all the votes of the rest of the top ten and add ’em together and still beat ’em! heehee

Anyway, I’ve got some pix I’ve feeling reasonably good about. Of course, that probably means I’ll barely get the votes I “need” to get maintain my “average votes per entry” 😛 We shall see.

clouddancer
    Participant

Well, so much for the moody hubby. It was either flash and get too much light or not flash and end up with fuzzy, out of focus images. Hubby cooperated, but not for long. I tried to do the best I could. My last ditch resort for him might be to get him outside with it, but I’m not sure how much longer he’ll indulge me. I’ll probably just wander around some outside. I’ve found it works better to just take the pictures in B&W instead of converting them after because the balance seems to come out better. Otherwise, I have to adjust the brightness/contrast/midtones and such more. Still working on it though.

U-Man: It actually made sense when you said that just about everything has already been done before. Not sure if I have my own style yet, or if I even recognize other styles that well, but I know I need to just practice, practice, practice (and yes, I hate that 8-letter word).

olavf
    Participant

Clouddancer: for pics of your hubby, instead of using the flash you might try a couple of things:
    First, I suck at teh flash. Mostly because I’ve only got the on-camera one right now, and it never seems to give me anything remotely like what I want. Generally, too many ‘hot spots’ in the picture. Some cameras you can dial down the flash, but that tends to not give me great results either.

Personally, I’ve got an el-cheapo 3-light incandescent kit from SV that I bought online, but you can replicate some of it with some tricks. Lowes sells 300W 4300K bulbs that you can fit into their clip-on aluminum shoplight jobbies. I can come up with some pics if need be, but they should be apparent. Just make sure the base is rated for the wattage. That’ll give you a fair amount of light and some ability to play with lighting angles, etc. You can clip them to chairs or whatever’s handy (and mobile) to get the lights you want. The important thing though, is that you diffuse the light, or you’re going to get the same hot spots you did with the flash, though possibly not as bad – Unless you want the harder lighting for effect (I do that sometimes). If you can use things to bounce the light off to give an indirect light you’ll get much softer edges. My kit has white reflective umbrellas that I can either bounce, or shine through to get the effect I want., but with a bit of playing around you can probably do something similar with any bright surface – the walls may even work.

Most important, though, is that you’re really, really, really going to want to use a tripod. The lighting is much more subtle in these environments, and because you’re dealing with fixed lighting, it’s going to make life much easier. (The more light you have available, the less you’ll need the ‘pod, but it’s still good to have handy

clouddancer
    Participant

I have noticed that about the flash, that I’ll get those hot spots you’re describing. I have been thinking about getting some lights to use with props and stuff, but I’ve no idea what I’m looking for. What I originally wanted was this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras-photography/a205/

Unfortunately, they’ve been out of stock on it for a while. I looked for similar lights at say Home Depot’s website and the like and it seemed that the best value was to get that biceps pack thing. What did not help was that he was against the wall and I was on the bed. I was using the bedroom light because it’s the most diffuse, I guess, the whitest, etc. It’s a simple overhead light but the fixture we use makes it not so direct. I’m considering instead of just jumping to the next stage and getting a DSLR that I simply get a better P&S because I’ve noticed that even some of those have some image stabilization, which will help in no flash situations.

If I use the flash, sometimes I get hot spots, but the colors are more clear and things tend to be crisp. If I don’t use the flash, the image seems subdued, usually a bit out of focus, and definitely tends to be blurry. I’ve been considering a tripod for a while, so perhaps I should get one. I have a mini one, but it’s not good for situations like this, I’ll need something bigger. If I have enough light, the no-flash can come out okay, if I don’t move the camera any. I’ve been wanting lights I can use for photography like this so I can practice with the lighting (direct, indirect, colored, etc). I seem to have the most problems in low-light situations. I’ll probably just have to look around Home Depot (no Lowe’s I believe up here) and see what I can find for portable lights. I worry about getting industrial lights because of the sheer output (might be too much). It could be that I could get a light like that but then get a lower wattage bulb so that I have something, but if the bulb itself isn’t that big, it might work out. I seem to recall my grandmother once had 75 what light bulbs in a 60 watt socket and they blew out faster than they should have.

I like best taking pictures outside because of the light – it’s ambient and during the day even with no flash, I can get rather clear pictures.

Still haven’t figured out what makes good B&W pictures besides people. My son is my favorite subject to photograph, but I don’t want to keep posting pictures of him. *Sigh.* I’ll figure out something. Thanks for the suggestions, olavf. Time to up the amount of tools I use.

olavf
    Participant

Those are great for doing small-scale setups. This guy http://65.78.140.207/TF/farktography/090930.colors/emtevee-2154_sm.JPG, for example, was done in my light box – though we built or own and use the studio lights – plus you can change the lighting angles better.

This http://www.amazon.com/KT900-3-Light-1250-Watt-Mini-Boom-Kit/dp/B0000AJB80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254796629&sr=8-1 is the light kit I have, and it’s not bad, though I wish it put out more light. Unfortunately that’s not going to happen without upgrading to a strobe (and I’m not there yet).

Home Depot doesn’t sell bright enough lights – at least not locally. If you buy the dishes there, your local camera store should have proper bulbs though – and really, don’t exceed the socket rating. That’s a really, really good way to start a fire.

More than anything else though, get a tripod. You’ll be amazed at the difference, especially in lower lighting. Figure, the lower the lighting, the longer the exposure time. The longer the exposure time, the more you breathe, or just vibrate. Your subject actually isn’t quite as susceptible to tiny movements as you are, if you’re holding the camera.

And yeah, the lower the lighting the less crisp the colors will be, because you need that light bouncing off the subject to create the color.[/url]

U-Man
    Participant

Late last night I typed up a post and would swear I posted it. But it’s not here. Maybe I just forgot to click ‘submit’. But it had a photo of a kid smoking and maybe it got deleted for offensive or illegal content. If it is the latter, I can deal with that without whining and go about my business. If it is the former (my mistake) I might re-post it.

Anybody have info?

Like I said in an earlier post – I wanted to do a photo that bothered the viewer. But I didn’t want to cross ‘the line’ of acceptability.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Late last night I typed up a post and would swear I posted it. But it’s not here. Maybe I just forgot to click ‘submit’. But it had a photo of a kid smoking and maybe it got deleted for offensive or illegal content. If it is the latter, I can deal with that without whining and go about my business. If it is the former (my mistake) I might re-post it.

Anybody have info?

Like I said in an earlier post – I wanted to do a photo that bothered the viewer. But I didn’t want to cross ‘the line’ of acceptability.

I never saw it.

I doubt it would be baleeted from here,(esp w/out a pm from a mod) so repost.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘10-07-09 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 2’ is closed to new replies.