10-13-10 – Fish

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    justkat
    Participant

Wow, I should pull my two other pix, since they have no votes. some people (like all of them, apparently) have no sense of humor. At least people started voting for olav’s fish-slap picture…

ennuipoet
    Participant

Wow, I should pull my two other pix, since they have no votes. some people (like all of them, apparently) have no sense of humor. At least people started voting for olav’s fish-slap picture…

Yeah, wow, I took a beating this week. I knew I wouldn’t win with what I have but I thought I would do better for thinking outside the box. On the other hand, I am the first to admit my pics were…disturbing. The one of all the little fish staring up at you, even I am freaked out by it.

U-Man
    Participant
    mopsy wrote:

U-Man
    Are pike good eating? I have heard mixed reviews.

They are very good. You just have to learn how to cut out that extra row of bones. U-Man has learned how to do that just this summer and will agree it’s worth the effort.

Yeah. What she said. I just cooked some on a cedar plank on the grill using indirect heat. Put that on mashed potatoes with Italian seasoned tomato chucks over that….delicioso!

Curious
    Participant

well i’ve done worse. and to be frank there were lots of better aquarium photos than mine.

orionid
    Participant

Heh. I needed the shot of humility after the streak I’ve been on. And yes, pike is good eatin’ (and an even better fight when you’re pulling them in).

And then there was walleye. God, I miss living near the great lakes.

LeicaLens
    Participant
    U-Man wrote:

U-Man
    Are pike good eating? I have heard mixed reviews.

They are very good. You just have to learn how to cut out that extra row of bones. U-Man has learned how to do that just this summer and will agree it’s worth the effort.

Yeah. What she said. I just cooked some on a cedar plank on the grill using indirect heat. Put that on mashed potatoes with Italian seasoned tomato chucks over that….delicioso!

Now I think about it, it was the boniness that made them unpopular.
    Slow-baking them like that helps soften the smaller bones, right?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I thought my Finding Nemo pic would’ve gotten a better response. It’s colorful, a decent shot for how difficult it was (low light and long distance) and really, how often do you see a bike-powered manta ray? Almost has a steampunk vibe to me. Guess I shoulda listened to my first instincts and gone with the glowing moon jellies, but with all the talk about jellies here, I figured there would be plenty already.

Oh well, as we prove over and over each week, there’s no accounting for voter taste.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

CauseISaidSo, 4, 5, and 6 are cool. The title for #6 could be “It’s not a tumor!” 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks, Zero!

I was trying to come up with a good caption for #6 and you nailed it, but shouldn’t that be “It’s not a tooomah!” ? 🙂
    The best I could come up with was something like “Scientific name: Herpus Derpus”, but I like yours better.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Kashari this week!

kashari
    Participant

Congrats to Kashari this week!

Thanks Elsinore!

lokisbong
    Participant

Congrats Kashari.

olavf
    Participant

Congrats!

kashari
    Participant

Thanks you guys! I finally had good timing on a contest, otherwise I would’ve had nothing for this one. I’d gone up to Sedona last weekend where my sister owns a glass gallery, so that’s where the art glass pics came from. Then I spotted the Piranha on a tour of my niece’s new house, it was sitting on a shelf in her little boy’s room. (His dad had it since he was a kid…) 😆

Then the funnier thing is, last night, I emailed a copy of the Piranha to the rest of the family and got a reply from another niece saying she had one just like it! And she’s such a ‘girly-girl’, that’s the last thing I’d imagine her having in her house. 😆

oh yeah, besides seeing her house, I was hoping to catch some fall colors for the Autumn contest. So we went up to Flagstaff, but there was NOTHING happening yet. There was still some snow up at Snowbowl from the big storms earlier in the week. I was bummed big time since I’ve never seen good fall colors since I live in the desert.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Quite the streak you’ve got going on there, kashari. Congrats!

I just got back from a cycle ride to check out the fall colors. Just barely starting to turn. “They” say we might not get much color this year because it was so hot this summer, so we’ll see.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • The topic ‘10-13-10 – Fish’ is closed to new replies.