10-13-10 – Fish

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

This pike was caught by my daughter

Bah! That’s nothing. 😉 Here’s my daughter (from my first bee):

Yes, she did catch it.

She’s a good bit older now and wasn’t particularly fond of my caption: “Captain Ahab prepares to release her great white whale” 🙂

LeicaLens
    Participant

U-Man
    Are pike good eating? I have heard mixed reviews. They used to be popular in mediaeval England, apparently, though with pretty strong sauces to hide the taste (could be due to lack of freshness).
    Also, I have heard similar stories about zombie pike, though nothing quite as drastic as yours. A guy caught a pike, took it home and put it in the fridge. Later, as he was watching TV, he heard a scream from the kitchen.
    His wife had been bitten by the pike as she was about to clean it.

Anyway, some b-sides.
    http://flic.kr/p/8JFEpz
    http://flic.kr/p/8JFEt2
    http://flic.kr/p/8JFEqB

SilverStag
    Participant

Looks like some folks don’t quite get the rules. A picture of abe vigoda is Fark-ish, but not kosher.

olavf
    Participant

That one was non-votey. There are a few crustaceans and the like in the mix though.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

My dad is commercial fisherman but I moved to the other side of the country 10 years ago and couldn’t find the negatives with the photos I remember taking. So I took a trip to a Monterey Bay Aquarium a couple of weeks ago instead. Here’s a couple b-sides from that trip.

Green pipefish

Fish in kelp tank

Egg Yolk jellyfish

Leafy Sea Dragon (extra fancy Seahorse basically)

ravnostic
    Participant

Choc-Ful-A, I especially liked your entries this week.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Choc-Ful-A, I especially liked your entries this week.

Thank you sir! I had fun with this one and ended up I voting for quite a lot of entries. But given my background in fishing, crabbing, dredging for oysters (which is disgusting btw) and all the aquariums I’ve kept, it’s probably no surprise that I found this theme engaging.

I’m such a fish/crustacean nerd that I even noticed all the crabs in Ennuipoet‘s b-side photos were female. 🙂

oi_piss_me_off
    Participant

… I was expecting to see the stereotypical Field and Stream cover-worthy Bigmouth-breaking-the-surface-to-snag-a-spinner shot.

oi_piss_me_off 2010-10-13 10:45:14 PM

There you go!

heh…

ennuipoet
    Participant

Looks like some folks don’t quite get the rules. A picture of abe vigoda is Fark-ish, but not kosher.

I REALLY tried to brain up a way to use Abe Vigoda this week. I went so far as to search the intrahwebs to see if there were such a thing as an Abe Vigoda doll.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That one was non-votey. There are a few crustaceans and the like in the mix though.

I noticed the crayfish, but since it has fish in the name I allowed it. But I’m seriously full of fail lately; were there others besides the crayfish?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Here is another b-side, it was taken at the same time as the jumping salmon in the contest. I wasn’t sure if I was going to use ti or not until this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5079206499/

Through this contest I learned a lot of interesting things: There are salmon in the Humber River in Toronto, how to shoot in low light levels, the importance of a monopod, and how to evaluate a situation for taking pictures (instead of just snapping away when you get there).

LeicaLens
    Participant

Through this contest I learned a lot of interesting things: There are salmon in the Humber River in Toronto, how to shoot in low light levels, the importance of a monopod, and how to evaluate a situation for taking pictures (instead of just snapping away when you get there).

I just saw that salmon jumping picture, read the caption, and thought, “Wow, there are salmon in the Humber now??”
    Of course, I was thinking about the Humber river in East Yorkshire, which probably hasn’t seen a live salmon in 200 years…

mopsy
    Participant
    LeicaLens wrote:
    U-Man
    Are pike good eating? I have heard mixed reviews.

They are very good. You just have to learn how to cut out that extra row of bones. U-Man has learned how to do that just this summer and will agree it’s worth the effort.

mopsy
    Participant

Oh. And here’s a true fish story. –

This pike was caught by my daughter; ice fishing with a sucker.

To add to the story, our granddaughter was yelling across the ice at Grandpa to come help her and he yelled back, “Catch it by yourself!” And she did. I wish I’d taken pics of all the excitment during the catch.

olavf
    Participant

I noticed the crayfish, but since it has fish in the name I allowed it. But I’m seriously full of fail lately; were there others besides the crayfish?

My brain went all ‘crawdad’ on that one. I could have sworn there was one or two others, but apparently not. I chalk it up to too many hours at work 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • The topic ‘10-13-10 – Fish’ is closed to new replies.