10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

heh i love bridges but be careful about photographing them. I’m not sure in other states but after 9/11 there were signs put up all over the NJ/NY bridges that photos and videos are forbidden. i still got some shots but I’ve known other people who were seen taking pics and they got their cameras taken and authorities deleted the images as a warning.

*bites tongue* I hate NY. Seriously. This is the closest thing to a police state that I have ever lived in. I’m actually waiting for something like this to happen to me, I won’t be quiet and compliant, and it won’t be pretty.

QueenBee
    Participant

*bites tongue* I hate NY. Seriously. This is the closest thing to a police state that I have ever lived in. I’m actually waiting for something like this to happen to me, I won’t be quiet and compliant, and it won’t be pretty.

i dont know if you’ll have as much of an issue with it upstate as you would near Manhattan. I took pictures as I was driving over the Verrizanno (I lived on Long Island for 8 hellish years). No one saw me or said anything but the signs are posted all over.

U-Man
    Participant

Been posted before. Seemed like a good time to do it again.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Links for outside the USA – http://digital-photography-school.com/photographers-rights-and-photography-privacy-advice

orionid
    Participant

i dont know if you’ll have as much of an issue with it upstate as you would near Manhattan. I took pictures as I was driving over the Verrizanno (I lived on Long Island for 8 hellish years). No one saw me or said anything but the signs are posted all over.

Saratoga’s a pocket-sized artsy town that embraces it, but albany gets touchy around the capital building or any of the historical sights.

QueenBee
    Participant

Saratoga’s a pocket-sized artsy town that embraces it, but albany gets touchy around the capital building or any of the historical sights.

well albany is the gray gray capital 😛 I can see them being touchy about it

nobigdeal
    Participant

http://www.freedomtophotograph.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1069817341&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

by tunnelman @ 12 May 2005 01:47 am
    I’am a NYC Bridge and Tunnel Officer at the Queens Midtown Tunnel. The Bridges and Tunnels as well as entrance and exit (marginals) streets are NOT public property. They are owned and operated by the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA) and are therefore private property!!! As far as the law goes there are laws, and signs to remind people of such laws, which prevent photos from being taken on TBTA property.

Private property, unfortunately that means if you are standing on the property they can make you stop shooting. If you raise a stink you probably will be arrested and charged with trespassing.

This does not mean that you cannot stand on public land and photograph bridges or any other building or landmark. keep in mind though that some building images are copyrighted and you need a release to use the images for commercial purposes (Empire State, etc…)

edited to add: http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/media-access.html

thepostess
    Participant

So-did we decide whether or not we have to link to the original photo?

U-Man
    Participant

I’m doing two HDR and I don’t know for the third.

/unless we’re doing a dedicated HDR in the next 6 months or so. Then I would save one of them.
    //are we doing a dedicated HDR some time?

U-Man
    Participant

So-did we decide whether or not we have to link to the original photo?

Oh. I don’t know. My input would be that it is suggested/encouraged/advised but not required. I’ll probably make a link for mine.

thepostess
    Participant

That is my thought too.

clouddancer
    Participant

I’ll likely link to an original as well.

Me thinks I’ll be boring with my shooping though. I have 2 that I’m probably going to enter, even though they’re similar, at least in the process I used, if not the filters, and in how I selected things to do.

Maybe I’ll take a B&W and colorize it….though that could take a LOT of time.

olavf
    Participant

One of mine I’ll probably link the original, because the before/after is pretty dramatic. One of them will probably be multiple exposures, so I think it’d bog down the post.

Which brings me to a question:

I have an image that’s a combination of two exposures of the same subject(s), but taken at different levels. I stacked the images, but rather than adjusting the transparency of the layer, I made most of that layer transparent (kind of a reverse of what we did for ‘colour popping’. Is that kosher? I can link the shot in question if need be.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That sounds very similar to HDR to me, and as such I would think that would fly.

Now here’s a question: What about composites of the same scene stacked similarly to an HDR, but where subjects may be in different places in the scene creating duplicates of the subject? It’s something that can happen with HDR (ghosting of cars moving in a scene, etc), but it can be taken advantage of by stacking exposures a la HDR and even erasing through the layers to bring those those subjects out more. On the one hand, we’ve already said you can’t add in (unrelated?) subjects, but in this case, they’re part of a series of exposures of the same scene, and that can happen with the HDR exemption we’re already allowing. How/Where do we draw the line?

nobigdeal
    Participant

That sounds very similar to HDR to me, and as such I would think that would fly.

Now here’s a question: What about composites of the same scene stacked similarly to an HDR, but where subjects may be in different places in the scene creating duplicates of the subject? It’s something that can happen with HDR (ghosting of cars moving in a scene, etc), but it can be taken advantage of by stacking exposures a la HDR and even erasing through the layers to bring those those subjects out more. On the one hand, we’ve already said you can’t add in (unrelated?) subjects, but in this case, they’re part of a series of exposures of the same scene, and that can happen with the HDR exemption we’re already allowing. How/Where do we draw the line?

I think the point was not to have any lines.

As long as you took all the photos you can do anything you want to them.

In other words. No putting Abe Lincoln in your picture. (Unless you took the photo of Abe)

Anything else is fair game for this contest.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Although reading back over the OP it does state no adding elements to the photo that were not in the original photo. So you may be pushing the limits there.

I say it’s ok, as this is not like a PS contest because you have to go out and shoot your own stuff.

Soosh, its your theme so?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)
  • The topic ‘10-14-09 – Software Hootennany’ is closed to new replies.