10-20-10 – Travel Photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-20-10 – Travel Photography

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    LeicaLens
    Participant

If you walk three paces without the ball touching the court, it’s traveling.

Hah! That caught me 😆

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Hmm… having a hard time differentiating this from the “Travel Brochure” theme in the hopper. I get the difference – with that being more famous landmarks and this one just that you went somewhere and took pics… But if your destination isn’t really apparent then isn’t that kinda missing the point of traveling there? I dunno. Hopefully that made sense to someone else. I’m going to sleep now. Hoping for some clarity in the morning.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

Ya, it figures. I leave tomorrow for 3 weeks in Europe and what happens? A travel themed contest. Oh well, next time I will have lots of goodies!

kashari
    Participant

Hmm… having a hard time differentiating this from the “Travel Brochure” theme in the hopper. I get the difference – with that being more famous landmarks and this one just that you went somewhere and took pics… But if your destination isn’t really apparent then isn’t that kinda missing the point of traveling there? I dunno. Hopefully that made sense to someone else. I’m going to sleep now. Hoping for some clarity in the morning.

I’m also having a hard time deciding on this one. Should they be scenic types of shots like landscapes, skylines, etc., or could it be things you see while you’re there, i.e., some critter in a zoo?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m also having a hard time deciding on this one. Should they be scenic types of shots like landscapes, skylines, etc., or could it be things you see while you’re there, i.e., some critter in a zoo?

I really wrestled with this issue as well. To be blunt, in my traveling days I didn’t photograph the sites, I took photos of the people I met there. Those Roman ruins have been there two thousand years, the people I drank beer with in the pub next to them won’t. All of my shots this week are of the people at the places not the places.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I’ve always photographed the stuff I want to remember from a trip, it may have been buildings, people, animals, etc. I’ve gone back and scanned some photos from trips I took before I had a digital camera. One or two might show up in the contest.

On as side note my wife (Yzziefrog) sponsored me for a month of TF, no more waiting until breakfast to post for me. It also means my work productivity will drop to zero.

clouddancer
    Participant

My question is I guess the same as what counts as traveling. I was planning to use some pictures from the Orono Bog Walk for the “A Day In The Life Of” contest, but outside of Lincoln, Bangor, Orono, and Madison (my parents live there), we don’t really go anywhere. Yesterday I got a decent shot of Mt. Katahdin and some autumn shots that I may or may not use (depends on if I get better ones). Lately

I have lots of pictures that show the places I’ve been. Unfortunately, 99 percent aren’t scannable, nor were they taken by me and the rest probably aren’t that good. I’ll give a re-look of my Alaska scrapbook and see what I can find. There might be something in there worth using.

I’ll find something, I think. Or I’ll just sit this one out, too.

ravnostic
    Participant

For my part (as the suggestor for ‘Travel Brouchure’), my theme is related to things that would be promoted on a travel brouchure–readily identifiable to anyone who might have been there. So ‘the trip to and from’ wouldn’t relate. I believe this theme is more broad than that, though confirmation would be nice.

FWIW, ‘Travel Brouchure’ was decided to be held back for some time, to keep the two from being done too close to each other. Maybe sometime in the 2nd half of next year.

kashari
    Participant

Ok thanks all, I may do a combo of scenic and character. I’m going to go check the hopper first though, I usually forget to do that.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

This one’s definitely the more open-to-interpretation theme. I’m not about to police a particular distance traveled (there’s no way I possibly could do that anyway), so it’s kind of on your honor that you were somewhere other than your own home/yard when you took the pics. I’d think if you had to walk or drive more than 10-15 minutes to get to your location, that’s certainly “travelling,” but again there’s no real requirement other than if someone seriously posted a shot and said, “oh hey, I walked into my back yard and took this photo” I might consider that in the DQ realm.

As for people vs scenic, to be completely technical, the wording says “where” you’ve been not “who” you’ve seen. But if the “who” is positioned within the “where” (e.g. it’s not simply a head and shoulders shot that could have been taken anywhere–there’s a bit of context/scenery to it), then I would think that should count. Morningbreath is free to chime in, though.

U-Man
    Participant

One of the little ones has a school thing at posting time, so I’ll be a bit late.

I’m pretty sure I will impose an out-of-state requirement on myself this week. I frequently drive up to 30 minutes to take pics so I consider that normal and not traveling – y’know? I have abolustely zero problem with however anybody else defines it though.

I still have camera apathy. Odd. Maybe now that my fishing season is coming to a close I’ll get into the camera stuff more.

U-Man
    Participant

Heh. Chicago isn’t out-of-state for me. Is it? I’m probably going to use at least one from there.

SilverStag
    Participant

Oooops!

Mods, please kill my 2010-10-20 08:02:06 PM screwup. Not sure what I did wrong there.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Soosh: The first thing I said when I saw your first entry was “HEY! No HDR!” Then I read below. Awesome shot!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘10-20-10 – Travel Photography’ is closed to new replies.