10-21-09 – Music

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

In 8th grade my band teacher offered very inexpensive lessons for any student that wanted to take up a second instrument. My grandfather was professional trumpet player in the 1920s-1940s and I have his trumpet/coronet in storage, so I took trumpet lessons that summer and played it occasionally at basketball games when we had an abundance of flutes and not enough brass. So I can cling to the female trumpet club too. I knew lots of female trumpeters though, in high school and college. One year in high school I think we had 5.

I actually played my piccolo almost all the time in high school and college though, because no one else wanted to.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Add me to the band-geek list too. I started with trumpet in elementary school (I wanted to play sax but the only choices were clarinet, flute or trumpet). But I switched to french horn after 2 years and loved it. As far as I know it’s the only brass instrument where the primary controls for the instrument are for your left hand. There’s a historical reason for that, but I’ll spare you from a total band geek out… I always wanted to play percussion (timpani! marimba!!) and double reed instruments (oboe, english horn, bassoon) but never got the chance. The mechanical complexity of flutes, clarinets, and other woodwinds was fascinating to me as well. Basically I wanted to play everything except piccolo, baritone, or violin/viola/cello.

I guarantee that there’s a guitar in my future, we just haven’t made each other acquaintance yet. The ones John Hiatt plays, shallow depth, hollow body acoustics with pick-ups have haunted me ever since I saw him play live…

sleeping
    Participant

Is there anyone here who isn’t a musician? (Not me, it’s what I studied at university….)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So you were the only girl in the trumpet section? Were your motives as ulterior as mine for being the only dude in the clarinets? As far as the American Pie quote?

No, I played trumpet mostly because I fell in love with it when I tried it out at a summer enrichment course, then when my Dad told me that it was a guy’s instrument, I figured “Screw that, now I REALLY want to play it.” It didn’t help his case when my Grandmother let it slip that her sister played cornet. When I pointed to that, he suggested I play cornet since the name “sounds” more feminine than trumpet. That was the third and final vote for trumpet in my mind.

Our high school band was small and the other guys in the trumpet section (all 2 or 3 of them, depending on year) were either gay or totally not my type. I was more into the trombone guys for some reason. In college, I dated non-musicians and for some reason they didn’t work out. Zeke played baritone horn, so I at least kept it in the brass family 😉

As for the American Pie quote, I didn’t play flute, so it’s a moot point, however, I was Band Council President, so that should tell you something or other.

Choc-Ful-A: I always HATED that the French horn is played wrong handed. I think if I could have switched to euphonium, I would have been pleased as punch to have that range, but not deal with playing the instrument with my left hand.

swampa
    Participant

Trombonist in high school checking in (start your “blowing your bone” jokes below :P)

Also does playing the drums on rockband count? 😛

nobigdeal
    Participant

Is there anyone here who isn’t a musician? (Not me, it’s what I studied at university….)

Raises hand.

Not a musician, just a music lover

orionid
    Participant

Also does playing the drums on rockband count?

Only if piss-poor karaoke counts. Or {insert “I made some pretty spectacular sounds come out of your mom” joke here} counts.

/Edited for bbcode fail.

Kestrana
    Participant

Also does playing the drums on rockband count? 😛

I hope so cuz that’s the only part of Rock band I’m really good at.

olavf
    Participant

Also does playing the drums on rockband count?

Only if piss-poor karaoke counts. Or {insert “I made some pretty spectacular sounds come out of your mom” joke here} counts.

/Edited for bbcode fail.

Ooooh….what about *good* karaoke?

lokisbong
    Participant

I spent a year failing to learn the clarinet. I am a huge fan of most types of music but I seem to be better at remembering lyrics and not so much the making music part. My friends keep telling me I should stick to my day job.

olavf
    Participant

Raises hand.

Not a musician, just a music lover

Same here. Self-taught on a church organ my folks had, but never really, really serious about it, and that’s been a lot of years…

/Side note, I just had a cool idea for this contest. Question is, can I get the instrument and the people together in time 😛

linguine
    Participant

I always HATED that the French horn is played wrong handed. I think if I could have switched to euphonium, I would have been pleased as punch to have that range, but not deal with playing the instrument with my left hand.

When you just start with the french horn its just natural because youre not used to doing those fingerings any other way.

swampa
    Participant

You are doing it wrong, you obviously need more alcohol 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

When you just start with the french horn its just natural because youre not used to doing those fingerings any other way.

Yeah yeah yeah. Every other brass instrument is for the other hand. But nooooooooooo French horn has to be different. And I was thinking mellophone earlier, not euphonium, that’s basically a French horn wound differently and played the right way 😉

olavf
    Participant

You are doing it wrong, you obviously need more alcohol 😛

hah! I know better than to sing 😉

I mean, I can croon a bit, and I’ve been told that with some lessons, I’d make a decent basso, but honestly, I’m not sure I can even give Jimmy Durante justice…

/leaves the singing to other folks. Now my ex, she can *sing*. classically trained soprano… could have been a coloratura if she hadn’t taken a hiatus.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • The topic ‘10-21-09 – Music’ is closed to new replies.