10-21-09 – Music

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

Yeah yeah yeah. Every other brass instrument is for the other hand. But nooooooooooo French horn has to be different.

Well, to be fair, they *were* being played with the right hand until someone came along and stuck valves on them…

swampa
    Participant

hah! I know better than to sing 😉

I should know better, but it is just so much fun belting out (out-of-tune) tunes 😀

/Off to karaoke tomorrow night … maybe I should take the camera 😀

olavf
    Participant

hah! I know better than to sing 😉

I should know better, but it is just so much fun belting out (out-of-tune) tunes 😀

/Off to karaoke tomorrow night … maybe I should take the camera 😀

lol! Last time I tried that I picked a Harry Connick rendition of a Sinatra tune. Right words, wrong tempo. It threw my off so badly I couldn’t even finish :/

I think I’m best saving my singing for the corner of the bar on a Friday night. It’s supposed to be loud, it’s supposed to be out of tune, and it might even be a Merle Haggard song.

clouddancer
    Participant

I miss singing. I have the stuff to practice with, but I’d just annoy everyone. Hubby told me a few times he thought I sang too loud, or otherwise was just wrong about it so I stopped doing it around him and from there it wasn’t too hard to just stop altogether. Solo was never really my thing. I liked ensemble. It wasn’t so much for the hiding, but more that I thought it was cool when our voices made harmonies. I’ve switched between soprano and alto, but I don’t have that low of a voice. On the occasions I give in and head to church with my parents, Dad and I will purposely not sing the melodies of the hymns and instead make our way with the other parts.

Kiddo seems to be inately attracted to music. If any toy played it, he was on it. He’s particularly attracted to theme songs. Ever since before he could walk, if a theme song came on he’d stop what he was doing, watch intently until it was over and then go back to his business. Doesn’t matter the show, he just wants the theme music. Strange. He abuses the crap out of his musical toys, loves them, plays the songs over and over, even if it’s not their initial function. If he hears music say played from the computers or anything, he stops to listen. It’s kind of scary. I want to do my best to encourage him in it, should he want, and there’s good reason to believe he’ll at least have some inclination toward it, but I’m not about to push it.

I was the only female trumpet in my band too. Usually there about 2 or 3 of us, maybe up to 4 or 5 but that was rare. We always had lots of flutes and clarinets. I initially picked it (I think, it’s buried and fuzzy in my memory) because that was what my sister had played for the all of 5 minutes she was in band before off to do something else. One year we actually had 2 tubas in the band. That was weird, but also really cool. My Dad’s been known to have people if they’re interested swap instruments in the same family. He’s taken some alto/tenor sax players and made them bari sax, altos to tenor, etc. He’s maybe been able to get a couple of clarinet players over to sax too. Brass seemed to be the lowest number, and never enough, so I never switched. I wanted to try others, but never did. I was valuable where I was. Plus being brass I was loud so I got to sit back and listen, look, pay attention. Only thing behind me was the percussion section. That’s the only part of middle and high school I’ll miss – band. Only place I felt like I belonged.

And yes I’m quite fond of the shenanigans. That one time, at band camp, well, let’s just say that’s where I met my husband…and yes we did.

Wow, the memories this thread brings up. They’re good. I had just forgotten how many there were. I’ll be sure to share my preliminary photos when I get them up.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Yeah yeah yeah. Every other brass instrument is for the other hand. But nooooooooooo French horn has to be different.

Well, to be fair, they *were* being played with the right hand until someone came along and stuck valves on them…

Exactly! The right hand in the bell isn’t just for looks. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That hand-in-bell-producing-semitones trick could have been done with the left hand. Just sayin’.

linguine
    Participant

Actually I believe at least since the formation of orchestras its been played from the same angle because it was easier to change the different sections of pipes for different keys when it was held with the left hand up high and the right hand in the bell.

staplermofo
    Participant

I cannot believe there is a discussion about how French horns have historically been played.
    I refuse to believe it!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s not Photography, it’s Farktography.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Bunch a freaking nerds…

sleeping
    Participant

Actually I believe at least since the formation of orchestras its been played from the same angle because it was easier to change the different sections of pipes for different keys when it was held with the left hand up high and the right hand in the bell.

What I meant was, in the case of horns, the right hand in the bell was being used to bend pitches so you could play a complete scale, so effectively you were “playing” it with your right hand, not that they switched hand positions 😉

ennuipoet
    Participant

why was it latter in life we learn all the really cool people were in band?

Because most of us were to busy thinking that all the cool people were in A band.

/was in a band
    //a very bad band
    ///we thought we were cool

Upmqtguy
    Participant

I have read the instructions for posting, and yet I still feel somewhat confused. Let me see if I have this…on Wednesday night I can come in to this discussion, and post the links for up to three photographs. Is this correct?

orionid
    Participant

I have read the instructions for posting, and yet I still feel somewhat confused. Let me see if I have this…on Wednesday night I can come in to this discussion, and post the links for up to three photographs. Is this correct?

On wednesday night, go to http://www.fark.com or http://www.totalfark.com (if you’re a paid subscriber). Look for a link titled “Theme of Farktography contest #blah: Music. Rules and description in first post, LGT next week’s theme” (or something like that). It will show up on TotalFark right around 8pm eastern, and the fark main page around midnight eastern.

To the right of the link, you’ll see a number. Clicking on that number will take your browser to the comments section of the contest thread. Once you’re there, you can provide a hotlink to your image. It needs to be less than 640 pixels wide, 1100 pixels tall, and should be less than 180kb (size limit is fuzzy, sometimes bigger gets through, sometimes smaller gets rejected, usually 160k is safe).

If you don’t have a separate username/password for fark.com, I’d reccomend getting one now, since there’s a 24 hour cooldown period before you’re allowed to post comments.

Good luck, and welcome!

millera9
    Participant

1.) Played alto saxophone for a year and a half, then quit. 🙁

2.) Took up guitar freshman year of college and still play. It’s a much more satisfying instrument IMHO.

3.) Sang in a band for about 2 years.

None of the above things has given me any ideas for this contest. Hmmmm…

This, however, did! http://vimeo.com/6428069

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 113 total)
  • The topic ‘10-21-09 – Music’ is closed to new replies.