12-09-09 – Low Key

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-09-09 – Low Key

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Take a photo where the subject is illuminated from a single point of light. Note: Low key photos show high contrast, and many/most of the tones will be in the shadow range. A bright photo taken with the sun as your only source of light does not qualify.

Theme suggestion by orionid–thanks!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We may need to add a note on this one that the majority of tones in the photo should be dark. As it stands now, an image that is lit by the sun or a 1000 watt light bulb (as long as they were the only point of light) would qualify, though they’re not what orionid was going for with the theme.

orionid
    Participant

That was addressed in the original discussion, but yeah. Always good to clarify.

clouddancer
    Participant

I posted a picture in the other (Themes area) thread asking if it would be okay. Any chance I can get a yay/nay on that? I’m thinking smaller scale since I doubt I’ll be able to get the people I have around in on it. Thanks. (and a welcome back from me, too)

mopsy
    Participant

I assume the subject does not have to be a person. Correct?

orionid
    Participant

I posted a picture in the other (Themes area) thread asking if it would be okay. Any chance I can get a yay/nay on that? I’m thinking smaller scale since I doubt I’ll be able to get the people I have around in on it. Thanks. (and a welcome back from me, too)

Looks good. One candle = one point source.

I assume the subject does not have to be a person. Correct?

Correct.

mrtk421
    Participant

Would you consider a Christmas Tree one source of light? Or is that considered too many lights?

olavf
    Participant

Would you consider a Christmas Tree one source of light? Or is that considered too many lights?

In my mind that would depend on the picture. If the tree were in the shot, not so much

orionid
    Participant

I’m leaning towards no. The point of this theme is low-key lighting, working with a single point source and the shadows it creates with/on the subject.

jpatten
    Participant

A single christmas light bulb would work I think though

orionid
    Participant

True statement.

QueenBee
    Participant

So can the bulb itself be the subject?

I have three examples (altho 2nd & third are pretty much the same)

I figure the first would work since you see the bulb but Im not sure for the other two.

http://tinypic.com/r/23mtuog/6

http://tinypic.com/r/66bz1e/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/hwenb5/6

What says you fellow farktographers?

QueenBee
    Participant

I apologize in advance if that third one hurts your eyes..cause it hurts mine

Kestrana
    Participant

I would think the subject being illuminated from a single point fits the first pic fine, the illumination is just coming from the inside.

orionid
    Participant

What she said.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘12-09-09 – Low Key’ is closed to new replies.