12-09-09 – Low Key

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-09-09 – Low Key

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

QB: your second pic doesn’t open. The first one isn’t terribly fitting with the ‘shadow tones’ part of the contest IMO, though :/

QueenBee
    Participant

QB: your second pic doesn’t open. The first one isn’t terribly fitting with the ‘shadow tones’ part of the contest IMO, though :/

weird…opens for me, but I’ll email you but I have a feeling it’s not going to fit quite right either. I have a couple others i can use, but I was trying for some variety of subjects…

Kestrana
    Participant

From the original thread discussion on this topic was this link with examples of low key lighting: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=low-key&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

orionid also stated “If you could somehow manage to get the sun to work without all that diffuse light….. Like maybe through a small window. I don’t want to discount it entirely, but yeah, for the most part, our favorite flashbulb in the sky would not be the intended type of lighting.” So between both of those U-man your first pic looks fine to me.

I ran this picture by him earlier: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/Kestrana/Photography/Low%20Key/LowKey1.jpg?t=1260332605
    and that was fine, it was lit with exterior light coming through a cracked shutter.

soosh
    Participant

soosh: That photo doesn’t really say “low key” to me. There’s clearly a lot of other light filtering into the scene besides the rainbow.

I added the following to the theme description for clarification:

Note: Low key photos show high contrast, and many/most of the tones will be in the shadow range. A bright photo taken with the sun as your only source of light does not qualify.

I didn’t much think it did either, but wasn’t sure.

no sunlit scenes, gotcha. what about moonlight?

or what about a scene like this? the sky is ambient night sky, and the foreground is lit by a sodium light behind me.

orionid
    Participant

I have a working definition of low key. For this theme, are we using super strict rules? I mean, If a shot embraces the concept of low key, but also has an element of the pic that is backlit – would that be allowed?

Here is one that I’d love to use, but I don’t know if it meets the criteria. Maybe with the new description, it does. What do you think?

The new description doesn’t really change anything in the lighting requirement, only clarifies that the majority of the tones in the image will be in the shadow range. Otherwise, the theme still requires only a single light source. Unless orionid wants to tweak things a bit, the way I read it is that other light sources (including reflectors, fill cards, etc) in addition to that single light source would disqualify the photo.

That being said, it may be somewhat difficult to police that, depending on the photo…

I’m not neccesarily wanting to change anything this close to go-time. What I had typed earlier was to highlight the differences between low key by definition and the theme for mopsy‘s and anyone else’s understanding.

U-man, it looks pretty evident that your first one has only one light for both the subject and the background, so that’s fine. Your second one, while low-key by nature, doesn’t strictly fit the theme. That being said, it’s obvious that the sky isn’t providing any of the illumination (other than itself), and I’d be inclined to allow it.

Soosh, I’m having a tough time making a call on yours. I’m guessing you’re asking more about style than that particular composition, and like I said with U-man‘s, the sky is obviously not providing the illumination, but in your case, it definately changes the whole image. Best I can say is use your better judgement. A glacier lit up by a KC light on your jeep/truck/car and backdropped by a starlit sky, while stunning, would not really fit, but an ambient-lit sky above the trees in your “road-flare-in-the-forest” shot would have been fine.

The moon, while having much less diffuse lighting than the sun, pretty much falls under the same rules. If you can isolate the specular properties of it via window, cracked wall, etc., then go for it.

corsec67
    Participant

Hmm, one thing I noticed is that B&W seems to work better for this theme. Just turning a couple of my entries to B&W made them look like they fit the theme better to me.

Hmm, or with most of the color removed.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

U-man, it looks pretty evident that your first one has only one light for both the subject and the background, so that’s fine. Your second one, while low-key by nature, doesn’t strictly fit the theme. That being said, it’s obvious that the sky isn’t providing any of the illumination (other than itself), and I’d be inclined to allow it.

Playing devil’s advocate, I think the issue with the second one is that the sky is very much providing illumination to the background (e.g. the field behind the barn), so it really is two sources of light.

U-Man
    Participant

As I’ll sometimes do, I was trying to squeeze a pic into a theme. I took some last night and found a single light source pic in my files so I have 3 or 4 that meet criteria. Unless this discussion opens up the theme today, I probably won’t use either of those two. (maybe the first one…)

But thanks for the input from y’all.

Actually, I had an inspiration for a pic last night around 1 am but nobody to model for me. Maybe I can pull it off this evening.

QueenBee
    Participant

Hmm, one thing I noticed is that B&W seems to work better for this theme. Just turning a couple of my entries to B&W made them look like they fit the theme better to me.

Hmm, or with most of the color removed.

I agree. I took a shot I love last night and it looks much better in black and white. i think to me low key =s creepy and creepy is always better in black and white 😛

orionid
    Participant

Playing devil’s advocate, I think the issue with the second one is that the sky is very much providing illumination to the background (e.g. the field behind the barn), so it really is two sources of light.

Good call, I didn’t even notice the field.

U-Man
    Participant

On second thought, I might want to use the little cowgirl pic. Does it meet criteria for this theme?

This one – http://www.ullepics.com/d/364-4/Ally_7415-bw-a.jpg

QueenBee
    Participant

On second thought, I might want to use the little cowgirl pic. Does it meet criteria for this theme?

it does to me, but Im not the authority 😛

linguine
    Participant

I’d think so.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah it should be fine.

harpo
    Participant

I had a couple ideas for this one but they didn’t pan out. So my only contribution this week is to recommend Lars Von Trier’s The Element of Crime to anyone who hasn’t seen it. A great flick and every scene has unique lighting that goes great with this theme.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘12-09-09 – Low Key’ is closed to new replies.