12-09-09 – Low Key

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-09-09 – Low Key

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Duh. I just went back and read orionid’s comment 0106 which said it’s fine.

olavf
    Participant

Dropping ten and punting…

U-Man
    Participant

Maaaaan, enforcing the rules on this one might really suck. I don’t know what to say. Megain’s is low-key but has two points of illumination.

My $0.02 is to let pics like his squeak through the rules. It may piss off some who followed the rules more closely – but I have a feeling there will be alot like megain’s.

But, on the other hand, the description is right there to read….

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s an awesome photo, but obviously two points of light since the umbrella becomes another light source. In regular low-key photography, his image would be perfect, but the single light source narrows things some. For that matter, Mopsy’s first two are a bit borderline with all the sun, but there is contrast and a decent amount of darker tones, so they’re ok.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    nobigdeal
    Participant

I have to agree with U-Man. I thought Megains shot was acceptable even though some reflected light was technically another source. It was subtle and added to the effect of the shot.
    Plus I think we are going to have much worse offenders as the night goes on.
    I already see a couple shots usning the sun as a light source…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Orionid said the sun could be used if it were used in a way that still led to a low key image with lots of contrast and darker tones to it. I’m torn on Mopsy’s, but because there are darker tones I’m currently letting them stand for that reason.

However, if orionid can give a ruling on reflectors/umbrellas counting as a second light source, that would probably be helpful. In this case, the light was used both un-diffused from behind, then diffused in the front as it was aimed into the umbrella from behind. To some extent, reflected light could be difficult to avoid, depending on the space you’re in since the single light source could bounce off walls. But in this case, it was used intentionally to skim the back of the head, then reflect into and back out of the umbrella as a secondary/fill light. My understanding of orionid’s intent was to avoid fill, but please please please jump in on this one, orionid]!

mopsy
    Participant

My interpretation on the sun was if it was subtle and not glaring it was okay with orionid. When I looked at the tutorials on Low Key, some suggest that natural light can often create good light with clear cut shadows for Low Key photography. Sorry if I over stepped the Theme concept.

Megain
    Participant

It will be interesting to see who’, errrr, which pictures get to stay.

U-Man
    Participant

Don’t take me wrong – I recognize the the description says one light source. megain’s could/should be DQ’ed. I’m just saying that this would be a biatch to police because there will be many offenders but their photos will be low-key. They just won’t follow the rules exactly.

One way of approaching this dilemma would be to strictly follow the rule. Another would be to allow some bending of the rule. Either way – somebody is gonna be miffed.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well clearly that’s already the case

justkat
    Participant

I’m still waiting for my model for pic#3 to come over — she should be here soon. It would be ironic if the picture didn’t work. =P Oh well, this is how I learn. And it’s an excuse to have company for dinner. =)

/yes, we tried to do this before the night OF the contest… it just didn’t work out lol

U-Man
    Participant

Well clearly that’s already the case

Yeah. Unfortunate.

Let’s keep it pretty loose. I think that folks will recognize that this is a somewhat touchy issue this week and won’t want to rock the boat. I don’t think it will be a slippery slope for future themes.

C’mon. We’re playing for bragging rights, not cash and prizes. The main idea is to grow as a photographer and have a forum to show off your stuff and get feedback.

lokisbong
    Participant

I am not sure why but I was thinking this was next week and now I have not a thing for this .bummer for me.

SilverStag
    Participant

Dang, I lost track of time majorly. Damn Skinner box!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘12-09-09 – Low Key’ is closed to new replies.