12-09-09 – Low Key

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-09-09 – Low Key

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant
    olavf
    Participant

U-Man I love the ‘related’ one. Any thoughts on a re-take with the two of them with their faces at the same angle? I think it might take it from a great pic to an awesome one.

Edited to add: I’m thinking a 5 degree difference in mom’s face. It’d add a dimension to the similarities between them, and were it my family, that’d be the one I’d want on my wall, I think.

U-Man
    Participant

Olavf, thanks. That one started out with trying to do this one – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/4_9468.jpg . I wasn’t happy with how the pic with all four of my ladies was going. The brightness gradient across the four was more than I expected. The little one was super wiggly. I was shooting with a 50 mm that is nice for portraits because of the shallow DoF – but is hard to focus for the same reason. 🙂

Anyway, I called it off. These two stayed and I did a few more. Then my lovely wife started being silly for the camera. While there was nothing even close to nudity, I don’t think she’d be really happy for me to throw those pics out on the intertubes. 🙂

I might try a sitting with these two again. Because I agree, that pic is close to being really good.

orionid
    Participant

(I had to google ‘magnesium ribbon’. Neat stuff. Is it fun? I mean, like, mildly dangerous fire-stuff fun?)

Just don’t look directly at the flame without cobalt or welding glasses.

U-Man
    Participant

So, it’s a little bit bright then? 8)

orionid
    Participant

You could say that. It’s also good for lighting thermite (which is even brighter and hotter).

Oh, and thanks for the kudos on the Marlboro Man shot.

/recovered pyro.
    //I really reccomend not playing with thermite, it’s serious shit.
    ///Still thankful my mom never found that video.
    ////Even more thankful we didn’t have youtube in high school, and the 8mm casette was never copied.

soosh
    Participant

my plans this winter involve using a fishing pole and some steel leader to cast burning magnesium into crevices in the face of the glacier that I’m not willing to brave on foot.`

I use a small blowtorch to light the magnesium, so I don’t have to worry about wind. well, ok, it’s not my smallest blowtorch, but it’ll fit in the backpack.

i was out once in 60mph winds on the beach lighting some off. I was surprised the coast guard didn’t show up.

olavf
    Participant

Haha U-Man, that sounds like trying to get pics of the family here. One at a time, I can usually manage, but they get exponentially more squirmy the more of them there are. I think I might try sedation next time – though I’m not sure if that’ll be for me, or them 😉

If you do try again, lemme know how if turns out.

U-Man
    Participant

Haha U-Man, that sounds like trying to get pics of the family here. One at a time, I can usually manage, but they get exponentially more squirmy the more of them there are. I think I might try sedation next time – though I’m not sure if that’ll be for me, or them 😉

One of the things I like about digital photography is that I can take bunches of pics to try to get the one. Y’know?

Thinking about pics with lots of people made me remember this one. The black girl is one of my daughters friends and I took her and my three girls up to Mopsy’s this past summer. I shot this one as a joke (with my girls, niece and nefews) to e-mail back to her mom. Then I chickened out because I didn’t know her mom’s sense of humor that well and didn’t want to totally freak her out.

SAFETY FIRST!

http://www.ullepics.com/d/846-3/Safety+First.jpg

nobigdeal
    Participant

SAFETY FIRST!

HAHAHA!!! That is freaking awesome!

nobigdeal
    Participant

my plans this winter involve using a fishing pole and some steel leader to cast burning magnesium into crevices in the face of the glacier that I’m not willing to brave on foot.`

I use a small blowtorch to light the magnesium, so I don’t have to worry about wind. well, ok, it’s not my smallest blowtorch, but it’ll fit in the backpack.

i was out once in 60mph winds on the beach lighting some off. I was surprised the coast guard didn’t show up.

When I was in junior high we burned magnesium in science class. I am talking about IN the actual classroom!
    Somehow I don’t think they still do stuff like that…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

SAFETY FIRST!

If only there were corn fields behind them… 😉

orionid
    Participant
    thepostess
    Participant

Funny set up.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to orionid this week!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘12-09-09 – Low Key’ is closed to new replies.