12-09-09 – Low Key

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-09-09 – Low Key

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Elsinore, I have a question about acceptable content with one of my potential images. There’s nothing outwardly against the rules (nudity, blood, etc.), but it is rather graphic and portraying a grusome act, so….

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4168651832/

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wow nice. And the pic is fine for Fark.

corsec67
    Participant

If the scene is illuminated by one flash, but that flash is sent through a 4’x8′ diffuser, does that count, or it more “It looks like it was illuminated by one point” that matters?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As long as it’s a single light source, I would think it would be fine, provided the majority of the scene’s tones are less than middle gray.

For that matter, you can do low key with multiple lights (schnee did a really cool shot of various glasses that required several flashes, but was definitely a low key image), but obviously this theme’s requirement is only one light.

orionid
    Participant

If the scene is illuminated by one flash, but that flash is sent through a 4’x8′ diffuser, does that count, or it more “It looks like it was illuminated by one point” that matters?

What Elsinore said. I went with the one light requirement to try to get people to focus on contrast and shadows as part of the subject, rather than overcomplicated lighting.

And thanks for the greenlight, Els. I’m not sure if I’m going to use that one or not, but wanted to make sure it was okay before I did. And if anyone else gets a wild hair and wants to try something crazy for farktography, I highly reccomend NOT putting battery clamps on your nipples.

mopsy
    Participant

orionid
    I highly reccomend NOT putting battery clamps on your nipples.[/quote]

All I can say is, “OUCH!”

I’m a little confused about this theme. When I looked up Low Key it showed photos that were deep in shadow. Like a face where one half was visable and the other half almost black. Or do we want to show the light sorce?

orionid
    Participant

I’m a little confused about this theme. When I looked up Low Key it showed photos that were deep in shadow. Like a face where one half was visable and the other half almost black. Or do we want to show the light sorce?

Traditionally, photography has three types of lighting: Key, fill, and back. Key lighting is generally at an angle, and provides depth to the image. Fill lighting evens out the exposure across the image, and back lighting exposes the background. When all three are used extensively for even exposure (think I love lucy reruns where lucy, ricky and the kitchen in the background are all exposed evenly), that’s called high-key (because the key light is typically above the subject).

Low-key, by defintion, eliminates the back lighting and uses minimal or no fill to allow a maximum of contrast between areas in the exposure (lit and not lit). To get any amount of exposure at all, the key light is typically level with or slightly below the subject, hence low-key.

Rather than trying to get all of fark to wrap their collective minds around this, I went with the one-light requirement, which would effectively force low-key lighting and high contrast photos without having to teach the definition. Whether or not the light itself is in the photo has no bearing on the definition. It typically isn’t, but if you can still pull off a shot where it is, that’s bonus. The one I linked to earlier flirts with not quite being contrast-y enough, which is why I was considering not using it.

soosh
    Participant

hey, what about this shot. I don’t know if I’ll use it or not, but it randomly happened in my cube a few hours ago. I have a prism in my window that isn’t aimed or anything, just sitting there, and for the first time in months, the sun hit it today in an interesting way:

so the rainbow is a single light source, the sun, directed through the prism. but I don’t know if it falls within the guidelines for this contest.

what i’d really like to do for this contest is a green laser pointer and a hell of a lot of small mirrors.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

soosh: That photo doesn’t really say “low key” to me. There’s clearly a lot of other light filtering into the scene besides the rainbow.

I added the following to the theme description for clarification:

Note: Low key photos show high contrast, and many/most of the tones will be in the shadow range. A bright photo taken with the sun as your only source of light does not qualify.

QueenBee
    Participant

Just wanted to put my PSA for the day out there..if you’re going to use matches as your one light, please be sure to securely tie your hair back before getting started…unless of course you want to lose some bangs and turn some of your hair to plastic. That is all 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

I have a working definition of low key. For this theme, are we using super strict rules? I mean, If a shot embraces the concept of low key, but also has an element of the pic that is backlit – would that be allowed?

Here is one that I’d love to use, but I don’t know if it meets the criteria. Maybe with the new description, it does. What do you think?

http://www.ullepics.com/d/364-4/Ally_7415-bw-a.jpg

Or how about this one? It has more obvious single-point lighting of the subject. But it also has the backlit element.

http://www.ullepics.com/d/265-4/Lily_6988-bw.jpg

If they don’t work, I have some I did with a single off-camera flash in a dark room with black background for that poke-you-in-the-eye garish low-key lighting. (does ‘garish’ work there?)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And the sun thing wasn’t directed at you, soosh, more of an attempt to fend off the myriad casual Farktographers who won’t read the entire description and won’t understand why their bright photo from the beach got DQ’d when the sun was their only light source…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I have a working definition of low key. For this theme, are we using super strict rules? I mean, If a shot embraces the concept of low key, but also has an element of the pic that is backlit – would that be allowed?

Here is one that I’d love to use, but I don’t know if it meets the criteria. Maybe with the new description, it does. What do you think?

The new description doesn’t really change anything in the lighting requirement, only clarifies that the majority of the tones in the image will be in the shadow range. Otherwise, the theme still requires only a single light source. Unless orionid wants to tweak things a bit, the way I read it is that other light sources (including reflectors, fill cards, etc) in addition to that single light source would disqualify the photo.

That being said, it may be somewhat difficult to police that, depending on the photo…

QueenBee
    Participant

How about these two? I used a flashlight and tried to cover some of it to soften it a bit. They fit the one light source, but I’m not sure if they are low key enough… especially the 2nd one as the light reflected off the white wall a bit…

http://tinypic.com/r/9fpenr/6
    http://tinypic.com/m/6nurfd/2

olavf
    Participant

hm. some of my stuff is heavy on the backlighting, but my understanding that was still low-key by design. It’s all definitely single light source work though, so I guess I’ll let them stand

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘12-09-09 – Low Key’ is closed to new replies.