03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

Well there’s two of you who were confused enough to archive dive. I don’t think that fits the theme, but if it’s that confusing, should we allow it? To some extent, without people being honest, there’s a good likelihood I wouldn’t be able to police every entry for whether they were taken after this theme was scheduled or not. I’m usually an admitted stickler for the rules and theme intention/requirements, but I also don’t want to go so far that participation is overly prohibited. Maybe plamadude3000 will wander in and let us know what he’d prefer to see done….

Yeah, I didn’t want to go outside the rules but sometimes theme wording is ‘go shoot it’, but diving is ok. Since fewer themes require new shots, maybe those that don’t should say specifically ‘no diving allowed’ to help avoid confusion.

If everyone else interpreted it as new shots only too, I’m fine with leaving mine out.

cameraflage
    Participant

I was under the impression that while the book was to be randomly opened, the selection of the book itself was up to the individual. I picked a few books about the Colorado River (“A Story that Stands like a Dam”, about the construction fo the Glen Canyon Dam, Edward Abbey’s “Desert Solitare” and John Wesley Powell’s “The Exporation of the Colorado River and its Canyons”) but only managed to randomly pick crappy quotes that didn’t quite fit images I had of the Colorado or the dam. Thus, I have little plastic men standing around with little plastic tanks, and Dave Bowman.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I was under the impression that while the book was to be randomly opened, the selection of the book itself was up to the individual. I picked a few books about the Colorado River (“A Story that Stands like a Dam”, about the construction fo the Glen Canyon Dam, Edward Abbey’s “Desert Solitare” and John Wesley Powell’s “The Exporation of the Colorado River and its Canyons”) but only managed to randomly pick crappy quotes that didn’t quite fit images I had of the Colorado or the dam. Thus, I have little plastic men standing around with little plastic tanks, and Dave Bowman.

So the crux of hte question is, if you’d picked quotes that did, in fact, fit images you already had in your archive, would you have felt they were fair game? Or did you interpret the theme as requiring new photos shot specifically for this theme?

Yugoboy
    Participant

If I’d have thought that archive diving was OK, I’d have picked some books about Rome or Italy… 😉

I’m glad I had to go out and shoot something new. It was a challenge I enjoyed.

cameraflage
    Participant

So the crux of hte question is, if you’d picked quotes that did, in fact, fit images you already had in your archive, would you have felt they were fair game? Or did you interpret the theme as requiring new photos shot specifically for this theme?

I think they would have been fair game, but the quotes I was pulling, even in a book about the Colorado, were more about pouring concrete or activities in the town or about Powell losing his barometers. I could have continued looking for quotes that fit preexisting images, but that would have been a bass-ackward interpretation of the theme. Even in the case of the Patton book, I had a heck of a time finding a usable quote, mainly because Patton is a lousy writer.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, so in that scenario we have someone else interpreting the theme as being open to archive diving in the scenario where you pulled quotes that fit things you already have. While I wouldn’t have expected that interpretation going into this theme, I am concerned there will be a sizable number of people thinking the same thing, and given the theme itself didn’t say specifically “no archive diving”, it may not be fair to prohibit it. Anyone else have thoughts about that?

nobigdeal
    Participant

I was only putting the “new shot” restriction on myself because finding shots to fit random quotes seemed like a big hassle. It wasn’t specified in the theme so I don’t see an issue with archive dives.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, unless a number of people raise significant objection (or pamadude30k says otherwise), I think it may be best to let the archive dives be. In the future we should definitely put “No archive shots” in the theme description if that’s a requirement of the theme.

kashari
    Participant

In my case, here was my process; knew a couple of my horse books should have something that would work with shots I have. I opened the ‘Spirit’ book to a picture of an Arabian, went to the next page and first saw the highlighted quote I used in the thread. I knew I had at least one Arabian with all four feet off the ground. Then I remembered I’d used that shot in the first Software Hootenanny, so I used a different horse from the same day’s shoot.

On the one I haven’t posted yet, the first page I looked at, again it had pictures (lol me likey picture books!), so on the following page, the quote used was what I saw first and knew what picture would fit it.

But, if I’m the only one who dived, don’t change it. I’d feel bad that others restricted their choices and I went off on my merry little way…as usual. (too much of the good stuff!) 😆

kashari
    Participant

Oh, FML…I left my post on ‘Preview’ and got distracted, then hit Submit before seeing the new replies. So I’ll go ahead and post my last one, then if it’s decided differently that old shots shouldn’t be used, they can be pulled.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

You aren’t the only one who dived, and even others who didn’t archive dive interpreted the theme to be open to it, so I’m letting them be.

Barracuda
    Participant

I just have to say fluffybunny’s windmill shot is superb. A number of other standouts as well. I only managed to get two shots done for this one and not going to attempt to find a 3rd quote to fit an archived shot. So onward to the next contest.

kashari
    Participant

Ok, thanks Elsinore! (btw, now I’m not sure if I enabled voting on my last one or not…) 😳

kashari
    Participant

I just have to say fluffybunny’s windmill shot is superb. A number of other standouts as well. I only managed to get two shots done for this one and not going to attempt to find a 3rd quote to fit an archived shot. So onward to the next contest.

I agree, that shot is awesome! 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, thanks Elsinore! (btw, now I’m not sure if I enabled voting on my last one or not…) 😳

Yep, you did

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration’ is closed to new replies.