01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Also, why stop short of suggesting a scanner themed contest? In the original scanner discussion, it came up as a possibility, and it sounds fun.

I’d enjoy this, but I’d be tempted to use an image of Mars I requested from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter/HiRISE camera, which is essentially a scanner (they use a single row of pixels and the pushbroom technique). I have the feeling that’d be illegal for some reason or other-probably more than one. 😀

orionid
    Participant

Also, why stop short of suggesting a scanner themed contest? In the original scanner discussion, it came up as a possibility, and it sounds fun.

I’d enjoy this, but I’d be tempted to use an image of Mars I requested from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter/HiRISE camera, which is essentially a scanner (they use a single row of pixels and the pushbroom technique). I have the feeling that’d be illegal for some reason or other-probably more than one. 😀

Did you press the button that told it to take the shot? I’ll allow it.
    /Mostly out of sheer curiosity.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah pretty much this^^^. If you hit the shutter, you took the picture.

ravnostic
    Participant

I love these close contests. I’d love them better if I were up there in the top 3, but still.

Seems no matter how well I prepare, some of you just seem to prepare ‘weller’. I’m happy with my results, though; we dropped of in the ‘recent contests’ stats a week that I’d gotten 70 votes, and due to the *massive* voting this week, I’ve at least stayed pretty close on my recent averages #s. Yay!

Congrats to Olafv–so far–but congrats to the other top contenders as well–tain’t over till the fat lady sings, as they say.

orionid
    Participant

I love these close contests. I’d love them better if I were up there in the top 3, but still.

Seems no matter how well I prepare, some of you just seem to prepare ‘weller’. I’m happy with my results, though; we dropped of in the ‘recent contests’ stats a week that I’d gotten 70 votes, and due to the *massive* voting this week, I’ve at least stayed pretty close on my recent averages #s. Yay!

Congrats to Olafv–so far–but congrats to the other top contenders as well–tain’t over till the fat lady sings, as they say.

Heh. You said “taint.”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

A very fitting win–congrats, olavf!

yrkddn
    Participant

I second Elsinore’s congratulation, Olavf, and commend all this weeks submitters.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

olavf was on fire this week!
    He may have three burn marks to prove it, too!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats again, olavf. That had to have made all your prep work feel worth it, eh?

orionid
    Participant

A very fitting win–congrats, olavf!

Agreed. A tip o’ the hat to ya.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Here’s the final tally on this one: 2748 votes, which puts it almost 1000 votes more than the past 11 contests’ average and at the #17 spot all-time. What I found most interesting, though, is the comparatively low number of entrants and entries in this one:

So, something about this one spoke to the voters even if it didn’t get quite as many farktographers.

Curious
    Participant

for me this was a fun theme. i enjoyed taking the pictures and even if the voters didn’t like them … well there’s next week.

lokisbong
    Participant

I also enjoyed shooting 2 of my three. The third was an archive dive that turned out to be a decent choice considering I didn’t plan on using the three steps in a contest but it got the most votes of my three this week. I think I might have done better on the other two if I had better lighting. Or something that resembled a studio instead of just using a chair for the movies under a cfl in an old and not white anymore ceiling mounted light fixture. No complaints here for sure. Oh and congrats olavf. The holy hand grenades were very cool. Yours and orionids both.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Here’s the final tally on this one: 2748 votes, which puts it almost 1000 votes more than the past 11 contests’ average and at the #17 spot all-time. What I found most interesting, though, is the comparatively low number of entrants and entries in this one:

So, something about this one spoke to the voters even if it didn’t get quite as many farktographers.

Interesting. My first guess would be the geek factor of the theme itself. There were a lot of awesome entries, though, so that didn’t hurt, either.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Congrats to Olav also! Great contest. I’m honored to have made the top ten in this one!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • The topic ‘01-12-11 – Five is Right Out’ is closed to new replies.