01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, I had an idea for this one that I really like but I’m not going to have the time to do it right, so I’m throwing it out for anyone else’s use. It’s the Three Wise Monkeys (Hear No Evil/See No Evil/Speak No Evil). With the right kids in the right poses, I think it could be really cute.

I’d planned on doing it with my semi-cooperative 14-year as a multi-exposure single shot, but as I said, I’m not gonna have time. olavf and/or kat, I particularly had y’all in mind – if you can grab one of your two daughters’ (you’ve just the two, right?) friends, I think it’d make a cute shot. You likely already have your entries, but if not, you’re free to use it (and of course I’m not going to be offended it you don’t).

caradoc
    Participant

All right… archive diving.

I won’t have time to shoot, so old stuff has to do.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Ugh, finally finished this weeks shots. The thing I like about Farktography is often the same thing I hate about it…forcing me to do things I would not normally do. I HATE still life shooting! I might feel differently with better lights and space to work in! Trying to light and compose in an apartment with a cat that is convinced it is her job to investigate everything that goes in front of lens, except when I want to put HER under the lens. I am committed this year to shooting specifically for a thread as much as possible whenever possible…but I don’t have to like it!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That’s funny, ennuipoet – I prefer still life ’cause it doesn’t complain that I’m taking too long to get it just right! And I’m gonna try to do the same this year (shoot at least one new per theme), time permitting.

olavf
    Participant

OK, I had an idea for this one that I really like but I’m not going to have the time to do it right, so I’m throwing it out for anyone else’s use. It’s the Three Wise Monkeys (Hear No Evil/See No Evil/Speak No Evil). With the right kids in the right poses, I think it could be really cute.

I’d planned on doing it with my semi-cooperative 14-year as a multi-exposure single shot, but as I said, I’m not gonna have time. olavf and/or kat, I particularly had y’all in mind – if you can grab one of your two daughters’ (you’ve just the two, right?) friends, I think it’d make a cute shot. You likely already have your entries, but if not, you’re free to use it (and of course I’m not going to be offended it you don’t).

That might be worth a go, just for the fun of it. The girls are with their dad until Friday night though, so I’d have to try the multi-exposure route. I was actually thinking something along those lines anyhow, since I haven’t really had a chance to play with my new strobes yet (Yay 2x Britex HS-600’s W000!)

olavf
    Participant

That’s funny, ennuipoet – I prefer still life ’cause it doesn’t complain that I’m taking too long to get it just right! And I’m gonna try to do the same this year (shoot at least one new per theme), time permitting.

Heh. Wait until you see the one I finished last night for this week’s contest. It took an number of takes, and was definitely a bit painful to pull off…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

my new strobes

Awesome! I was just thinking last night as I was taking one of my entries this week that it would sure have been easier if I had better lighting. I’ve only got one external flash, so for shots that require it, I usually put the camera on bulb and then walk around and light it, but that really lengthens the whole shoot-review-try-again process.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I operate solely on the “found” photography principle, seek, shoot, sell…err, post. When I first started shooting in High School I dreamed of being a photojournalist, so I lean hard on the documentary style of shooting. (OK, I’ll be honest, I still kinda dream of being a photojournalist 🙂 just one that doesn’t get shot at) No matter, learning the fundamentals of lighting and composition in studio is a weak spot and something I need to work on. Contests like this week do just that.

Curious
    Participant

i have one good idea but can’t figure out how to shot it so it will get votes look semi realistic.

ravnostic
    Participant

Is it Tuesday night already? I hate that I have 1) 4 composed scenes, all of which I love love love (well, 5 actually, but one I can hold for another contest) and 2) 1 scene with 5 different shots taken, all of which I like, and I have to pick among them.

How do you people make those final hard choices!?!?

[edit to ask] do ya’ll prefer scenes of people that look completely candid and simply meet the theme very well, or scenes of same said people that invoke humor and intra-theme qualities?

olavf
    Participant

my new strobes

Awesome! I was just thinking last night as I was taking one of my entries this week that it would sure have been easier if I had better lighting. I’ve only got one external flash, so for shots that require it, I usually put the camera on bulb and then walk around and light it, but that really lengthens the whole shoot-review-try-again process.

You can get an entry-level kit for under $200 either with strobes or hot lights. And most of the stands I’ve seen have pretty standard mounts so you can upgrade in the future without having to replace your whole kit. Just stay away from the CFLs if you can – I haven’t seen any that give out a decent light level.

My starter set was a 3-light Smith Victor tungsten rig, and I’ll probably still use it depending on what I’m doing.

/of course, then you start getting into backdrops, light boxes…

-edit: I don’t know if I’m going to try the strobes tonight. I spent a good three hours making props for my 2nd pic and I’m not sure I’ve got the energy now :/

QueenMab
    Participant

I operate solely on the “found” photography principle, seek, shoot, sell…err, post. When I first started shooting in High School I dreamed of being a photojournalist, so I lean hard on the documentary style of shooting. (OK, I’ll be honest, I still kinda dream of being a photojournalist 🙂 just one that doesn’t get shot at) No matter, learning the fundamentals of lighting and composition in studio is a weak spot and something I need to work on. Contests like this week do just that.

This.

Almost all of my photos come from my archives and I’m surprised that I can almost always find something that fits without needing to stretch the contest parameters. However, I carry a camera with me everywhere I go and I keep upcoming contests in mind, especially when I’m traveling. I do occasionally go out to shoot for specific things if time permits (the fall foliage contest for example) but I don’t really have the equipment or space to do composed studio-type shots at home (or the expertise, but that’s another issue)

So…a question. The contest description does not specify “still life” or composed pictures specifically. I was intending to use existing shots where groupings of three things are the prominent feature. Is this within the guidelines?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

if it’s pretty obvious that it’s 3 groupings, that would probably be fine. I’d defer to SilverStag on that, though.

Curious
    Participant

i now have 3 and never used my original idea. two use the original items but while looking for their “pond” i found three other thing to make a group of. so once again the voters have a chance to tell me i failed 🙂

Uranus
    Participant

ha! i started staging stuff for this, and wound up by some bizarre progression getting shots for CPN….only new shot for this round, and 2 from the archives.

weird how things go sometimes.

i now have 3 and never used my original idea. two use the original items but while looking for their “pond” i found three other thing to make a group of. so once again the voters have a chance to tell me i failed 🙂

you will certainly not be alone…keep a seat on the bench for me 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)
  • The topic ‘01-12-11 – Five is Right Out’ is closed to new replies.