01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-12-11 – Five is Right Out

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Error403 here. First, thank you all for your kind words and the votes. My intent here was only to present an image I had made for a Photo class I took a few years back. My wife suggested I put it up when she read the contest subject. Reading the back and forth here has been a lot of fun.
    I’m glad that there has been such interest in the relationship between camera and other forms of image capture. In fact, at that time I had planned to convert the scanner to a “camera” but was sidetracked by other concerns. Perhaps now would be a good time to dust off that old idea, however I’ll stop short of suggesting a scanner themed contest.
    Thanks again.

Welcome aboard! I’m glad you jumped into the discussion. Also, why stop short of suggesting a scanner themed contest? In the original scanner discussion, it came up as a possibility, and it sounds fun. It certainly presents its own set of challenges, and I’d love to convert a scanner to a scanning camera sometime (in all the free time I have 😆 ). Either way, I’m glad we haven’t scared you off, and I hope we’ll see more of you around here and in the threads 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ve made scans of wildflower arrangements, and I would consider them photographs. I certainly wasn’t copying documents.

So have you also changed your mind officially? In the original scanner discussion thread, you’d said,

I think you get a different thing with a scanner than with a camera. I’ve done scanner art, it’s awesome with say a whole bunch of mixed wildflowers. but I don’t know that it’s photography. maybe it is. I’m honestly not sure.

Looking through the original discussion, I’d really gotten caught up on the fact that the scanner is making what amounts to be thousands of exposure slices then assembling them into what I figured was akin to a stacked exposure. Now I’m not so sure that analogy is entirely accurate. There was also the discussion of whether scanner images are more photograms vs photographs. But I’m not sure photograms would violate the spirit of Farktography, really. Just some more food for thought…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Here it is graphically:

The gray is the average of the past 11 contests, the red is the highest of those contests (Blur from 12/15 with 2277 votes) and the blue is where we are now. It’s looking to be, as you said, epic!

Whoa…

Uranus
    Participant

and some of us only vote at the end of the contest….

ennuipoet
    Participant

Ennuipoet, you may recognize the dude in the last one.

Damn, you did, my heavy drinking years have totally wrecked my brain cells. I wonder if I can Veteran’s disability for that?

re the vote totals, I noticed that last night when I was voting that we are roughly double the usual. Of course, when you put a Monty Python reference in the thread it’s like crack to the Nerd Herd. I should know! 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I noticed that last night when I was voting that we are roughly double the usual. Of course, when you put a Monty Python reference in the thread it’s like crack to the Nerd Herd. I should know! 🙂

Then I think we have another key to collecting votes to store in the back pocket.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah Uranus that’s what really got my attention – all my entries were beating my personal average on the First Day of Voting – and none of them were in the top 10.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

and some of us only vote at the end of the contest….

Yep, that’s what I do. I vote for my own shortly after posting so they show up in my stats scraper and then I come back Sat night and vote for everything else I like.

(Please tell me you all vote for your own also, right? I mean, if you like them enough to post, you like them enough to vote for them, at least that’s my thought. If no one else does this let me know and I’ll stop too so it’s fair.)

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m pretty sure everyone votes for their own 😀

Uranus
    Participant

I always used to, but went off it for a while… seeing “Number of votes : 1” seemed a lot more pathetic than nothing at all. 😆

now that I’m happier with what I submit (and shoot) I do so unashamedly. If you can’t like your own work no-one else will…

mopsy
    Participant

I vote for my own.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I had no idea you could vote for your own shots. Off to bump up my stats, brb.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Vote for my own? Oh hell yeah! My grandfather always told me toot my own horn, because no one else would. He also told me that Bolivians were stealing the weasel from our garden…so, his advice might be suspect.

soosh
    Participant

I’ve made scans of wildflower arrangements, and I would consider them photographs. I certainly wasn’t copying documents.

So have you also changed your mind officially? In the original scanner discussion thread, you’d said,

I think you get a different thing with a scanner than with a camera. I’ve done scanner art, it’s awesome with say a whole bunch of mixed wildflowers. but I don’t know that it’s photography. maybe it is. I’m honestly not sure.

Looking through the original discussion, I’d really gotten caught up on the fact that the scanner is making what amounts to be thousands of exposure slices then assembling them into what I figured was akin to a stacked exposure. Now I’m not so sure that analogy is entirely accurate. There was also the discussion of whether scanner images are more photograms vs photographs. But I’m not sure photograms would violate the spirit of Farktography, really. Just some more food for thought…

yeah, I was on the fence, but the more I think about it, why the hell not. You could get the same effect by laying stuff on a sheet of glass and photographing from underneath, so it’s not like you would have to have a scanner to create a similar image. I don’t have any problem with the fact that a scanner is mechanically reading the data differently. That seems to be more like a distinction that could be made between digital and analog, in a way.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Good points, soosh.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 157 total)
  • The topic ‘01-12-11 – Five is Right Out’ is closed to new replies.