01-25-12 – Stoned

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-25-12 – Stoned

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    bender16v
    Participant

mopsy, I go up to Bessemer every January to ski with a big group of guys. This was my 8th or 9th year and the 28th year for the charter members of the group. I came across the north route this time through Marquette but I have taken the south way once before. I took some extra time on the was over to see some falls, etc. I’ve never been up there in the summer but really, really want to get to the Apostle Islands this year. The long drive makes it somewhat tough though.

The U.P. is very remote and reminds me of when I lived in the middle of the Adirondack Park. I really loved it there but being so remote has some drawbacks so unfortunately we moved south.

I’d like to visit the U.P. a lot more and had hopes of going to the Porcupine Mountains for this contest but I didn’t make it over there.

U-Man
    Participant

Did anyone else notice they bumped the limit on filesize to 256K?

No… I hadn’t noticed…

This is relevant to my interests…

Will it be permanent, or, if I take advantage of it, will it go *poof* later and I’ll have a bunch of red x’s?

This would be very nice. Where did you learn of it? (i.e – prove it, sucka 🙂 )

U-Man
    Participant

mopsy, I go up to Bessemer every January to ski with a big group of guys. This was my 8th or 9th year and the 28th year for the charter members of the group. I came across the north route this time through Marquette but I have taken the south way once before. I took some extra time on the was over to see some falls, etc. I’ve never been up there in the summer but really, really want to get to the Apostle Islands this year. The long drive makes it somewhat tough though.

The U.P. is very remote and reminds me of when I lived in the middle of the Adirondack Park. I really loved it there but being so remote has some drawbacks so unfortunately we moved south.

I’d like to visit the U.P. a lot more and had hopes of going to the Porcupine Mountains for this contest but I didn’t make it over there.

My sister, Mopsy’s daughter, went to Michigan Tech for chemistry up in Houghton/Hancock. I never realized how far north that was until I just looked at a google map. I visit Mopsy a few weeks every summer but their place is so damn wonderful that I never want to go anywhere else.

Mopsy – should we try to pack up the kids and find some good U.P. falls this summer?

googles……

GEEZ! Mopsy. Look at this… http://home.comcast.net/~ratburt/web/up.html

U-Man
    Participant

GEEEEEEZ Mopsy. This is in Pembine! – http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/longslide.shtml

/ why yes. this is my personal chat page with my mom. why do you ask? 🙂
    // let her answer and we’ll take our conversation to conventional email. 😛

ravnostic
    Participant

Did anyone else notice they bumped the limit on filesize to 256K?

No… I hadn’t noticed…

This is relevant to my interests…

Will it be permanent, or, if I take advantage of it, will it go *poof* later and I’ll have a bunch of red x’s?

This would be very nice. Where did you learn of it? (i.e – prove it, sucka 🙂 )

…when I tried to upload a 350k pikture, by accident, of course!

Farktographer
    Participant

Just realised today was posting day – went to sleep too early last night, blast!

Went through and voted – finger is sore from this one. So many good entries this week, good job everyone. Lots of participants too.

The Andy Shirley postings by vuprop, though – I don’t know much about spotting HDR or photoshopping, but they seem a little *too* colourful. Maybe it’s just being at the right place at the right time to capture something so ethereal? They just strike me as too good to be really taken with just one click of a camera and no heavy post-processing.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Just realised today was posting day – went to sleep too early last night, blast!

Went through and voted – finger is sore from this one. So many good entries this week, good job everyone. Lots of participants too.

The Andy Shirley postings by vuprop, though – I don’t know much about spotting HDR or photoshopping, but they seem a little *too* colourful. Maybe it’s just being at the right place at the right time to capture something so ethereal? They just strike me as too good to be really taken with just one click of a camera and no heavy post-processing.

I thought this too but then I batted it down as the same jealous rage I get against several people here (but stronger cause those were super whoa)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The first looks more like he cranked up the green saturation, but the third does make me wonder. I asked in thread if they’re HDR…we’ll see what he says.

mopsy
    Participant

Thanks iwant for spurring U-Man and myself to get off the river and catch some of these waterfalls. Take a look at that site U-Man gave. It may be worth a summer trip for you!

gambitsgirl
    Participant

I hate you all

gambitsgirl
    Participant

In the most gentle and respectful way, of course

ennuipoet
    Participant

The first looks more like he cranked up the green saturation, but the third does make me wonder. I asked in thread if they’re HDR…we’ll see what he says.

I don’t think they are HDR (I can tell by some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few in my time) but I concur they are edited in post rather heavily. I’m not going to huck rocks though, the Kaaterskill shot has some greater than normal post on it…nothing outside the rules just some dodging and burning to compensate for being down in a deep hole shooting into bright light with a digital camera and limited dynamic range.

gambitsgirl
    : Don’t hate us because we’re beautiful! 😛

orionid
    Participant

I don’t think they are HDR (I can tell by some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few in my time) but I concur they are edited in post rather heavily. I’m not going to huck rocks though, the Kaaterskill shot has some greater than normal post on it…nothing outside the rules just some dodging and burning to compensate for being down in a deep hole shooting into bright light with a digital camera and limited dynamic range.

gambitsgirl
    : Don’t hate us because we’re beautiful! 😛

They’re not HDR, but at least one of them certainly has a graduated color filter applied. It could very well be external (IE Cokin, etc), but in this day and age, not being a “regular” (IE, I have an ever-growing set of cokin filters), it’s quite likely applied in post.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

ravnostic, sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the new kitty (clean those scratches real good with a disinfectant–cat scratch fever is an actual thing). I have been busy this week trying to get the local media to run stories on a cat that needs a home. Successfully, to my surprise and delight. The smallest local paper ran a story today, featuring it as their “top story” on their website (why yes it was a slow news day). Bonus: they used one of my photos! First photo credit, sweet! The two other newspapers want to do stories on the cat as well, so I’m super-confident somebody out there will want to give the cat a new place to live.

http://www.metronews.ca/winnipeg

PS I can confirm the new filesize limit; my second entry got rejected and I had to go smaller. I would assume this is a permanent thing–we just got an upgrade, ka-ching!

Yugoboy
    Participant

(IE, I have an ever-growing set of cokin filters)

What filters do you find most helpful in this age of digital photography?

I’ve got a cokin system also, and I’ve only got about 8-10, some of which I’ve abandoned using due to the magic of Photoshop (Speed filter, for example). I’ve had the filters and rack since my Pentax K1000 (OK… who’s nostalgia meters did I just trigger?).
    I’ve found that there’s only a few that I end up using anything like regularly, and others are money ill-spent.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • The topic ‘01-25-12 – Stoned’ is closed to new replies.