01-26-11 – Weather

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-26-11 – Weather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph terrestrial based weather phenomena: sunshine, clouds, rain, snow, fog, wind, lightning, tornadoes, hurricanes, sleet, hail, ice, mudslides, flooding and rainbows. For photos in which the main subject isn’t the weather itself but rather evidence of weather, the subject should be directly affected or interacting with the weather. Difficulty: each entry must have a different kind of weather.

Thanks to Kestrana for the theme suggestion!

ravnostic
    Participant

Been waiting for this. God pukes rainbows. 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, it’s been half a year since the Rain theme, so I think it’s time 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

I should go back to the original theme and look but I kind of want to take out the difficulty, otherwise people who live in certain terrestrial zones may have difficulty coming up with 3 entries.

lokisbong
    Participant

I can do 3 different types of weather as long as I go archive diving for the third. so far here it has either been clear and sunny or snowing.or clear with snow every where I look.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

i think caradoc and his lightning shots should be excluded so the rest of us might have a chance.

good thing with being in the midwest: we see all of those. yup, even remnants of hurricane winds. bonus: we also get earthquakes/tremors.

caradoc
    Participant

i think caradoc and his lightning shots should be excluded so the rest of us might have a chance.

Hey, now!

Look on the bright side – only one of my shots *could* be lightning.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I should go back to the original theme and look but I kind of want to take out the difficulty, otherwise people who live in certain terrestrial zones may have difficulty coming up with 3 entries.

I’m ok with that. Up to you.

ravnostic
    Participant

KestranaFor what it’s worth, I prefer the ‘only one of each kind’ difficulty. I’d much rather see only 1/3 lightning and 1/3 rainbows than 1/2 lightning and 1/2 rainbows (maybe a little simplistic, but there’s LOTS of different kinds of weather–I’m looking for tangent arcs myself, now that I found my camera filters).

olavf
    Participant

With that difficulty, you’ll be getting blue skies, and grey skies from me this time of year, quite frankly. We haven’t even had any interesting sunsets lately.

Kestrana
    Participant

FWIW I’m planning on using 3 different types of weather anyway, but I feel for people like olavf and kat because I used to live where they lived and yeah there isn’t much variation.

Maybe change it to “Suggested: each entry should have a different type of weather” that way most will read it as a requirement but if people aren’t feeling frisky they can post the same type more than once.

Curious
    Participant

Maybe change it to “Suggested: each entry should have a different type of weather” that way most will read it as a requirement but if people aren’t feeling frisky they can post the same type more than once.

rant
    it’s neither a sin nor a crime to miss a contest* nor not have three entries. the idea(l) for these contests is to make folks expand their photography horizons. (and have fun.)
    /rant

*if you are thinking too much about the FSM and your place therein your doing it wrong.

ravnostic
    Participant

I posted in ‘Color Popping Naturally’ that this argument is parallel to the one being discussed over there. I’m sure it sucks to live in an environment where, perhaps, it’s cloudy all the time during one part of the year, but even so, there are likely archive shots that could be used (I know I have my share of those).

Further, steady clouds can mean a dewy morning, a misty afternoon, a hazy sunset breaking through clouds, a foggy evening–surely it’s not complete monotony. I’m good with weather myself, but feel I’ll have troubles with CPN, yet Kes brilliantly suggested that the foreground, not the background, could be the grey area (so to speak), and that gave me an idea for at least one photo in that contest.

Contests can be something of a box to work within, and part of the unique challenge is to find a way to think outside of it, yet meet theme requirements.

Personally, I hate to fail, and I am compelled to submit 3 photos per week for my own reasons–I hem and haw back and forth on this point, but I think I’d rather post a few *meah* shots and suffer the votes than not participate at all for lack of what I deem to be interesting.

Case in point, this shot was part of a set I took just to have a 3rd shot, but it was well received and my best vote getter that week (8th place, “Artistic Bent”).

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah you’re right that I shouldn’t bend rules in one place and then the other. The difficulty can stand as it was originally designed and I don’t personally care if you make a lego scene of a rainbow 😛

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m conflicted on the issue. On the one hand, I think stricter/more narrowly defined requirements can lead to more variety and interesting pictures. On the other hand, I hate to see anyone unable to participate, especially our regulars, and if the regulars are left out, you know a lot of the casuals will be, too.

Personally, I hate to fail, and I am compelled to submit 3 photos per week for my own reasons–I hem and haw back and forth on this point, but I think I’d rather post a few *meah* shots and suffer the votes than not participate at all for lack of what I deem to be interesting.

Case in point, this shot was part of a set I took just to have a 3rd shot, but it was well received and my best vote getter that week (8th place, “Artistic Bent”).

I’m the same way about posting 3 entries, for reasons I can’t quite fathom.

And I have a similar anecdote about a 3rd entry – my Christmas Balls entry from Optimus Prime. That was literally a last-minute, “what can I shoot for my third entry?”, 3-takes-and-that’s-good-enough shot. And it came in 4th. The car entry, which I carefully planned and spent 2-3 hours and 50+ takes to get just the look I wanted, was my worst performer that week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • The topic ‘01-26-11 – Weather’ is closed to new replies.