01-26-11 – Weather

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-26-11 – Weather

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    clouddancer
    Participant

For anyone in the path of the storm that’s over a good chunk of the Northeast, now would be a good time for snowy weather pictures! It’s coming down fast right now. I went out for a check since the wind had died down to see if Atrus would be okay out there (he was asking to go out earlier but it was so windy) and grabbed my camera to see what I could get and the show is just about melting on contact.

U-Man
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t know how you doctors do it.

A certain level of smarts are needed so that you can get through the work fast enough to prevent getting buried. But med school is more a test of endurance than brilliance. I mean, that nuclear physics (and the math involved) stuff is harder than renal physiology. My day-to-day job is harder than med school.

Funny. I see my 7th grader complaining about how hard all of her work is. And I remember thinking that HS finals were a bitch. Then that term paper in college was sooooo hard. Med school was harder, etc.

Life just goes faster and faster and faster. Being a parent can be harder that all of the ‘work’ stuff. I’m glad I have found photography and the farktography community as a source and outlet for fun and creativity.

Els, do you think you’ll ever go back to the office?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Of all the things to double post…

That’s OK. I just took it that you really felt strongly about it. 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

…nuclear physics (and the math involved) stuff is hard…

Man, am I intimately aware of that. One of my degrees is Engineering Physics. It was all good until we got into quantumn mechanics. I took some comp sci classes for math electives and ending up liking it enough that I went on to earn a CS degree, too, but comparitively, CS is a walk in the park. I’ve got a huge amount of respect for the physicists out there.

Life just goes faster and faster and faster. Being a parent can be harder that all of the ‘work’ stuff. I’m glad I have found photography and the farktography community as a source and outlet for fun and creativity.

Agreed, enthusiastically agreed, and agreed. 🙂

And while we’re questioning Els, this may be something mentioned before my time (or maybe something you don’t wanna share, which is fine, too), but for some reason I thought you were in the literary field, so I’m curious as to what kind of practice you were referring to?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Els, do you think you’ll ever go back to the office?

If I do, I don’t think I’ll go back to private practice. I’ve considered Hospice, though, and that’s something I could do part time if I wanted.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And while we’re questioning Els, this may be something mentioned before my time (or maybe something you don’t wanna share, which is fine, too), but for some reason I thought you were in the literary field, so I’m curious as to what kind of practice you were referring to?

I’m honestly not sure if I mentioned specifically on here; some folks know from FB or looking at my Fark profile maybe, but I’m actually a clinical social worker licensed to practice psychotherapy. Along with my undergrad major in psych, I had a minor in English (albeit undeclared cause I never got around to filling out the official paperwork, and it didn’t really matter since I wasn’t going into teaching where it would make a difference). I’ve mentioned the English minor on here, and I’m a big grammar nerd (and very wordy in general 😆 ) so that’s probably why you thought I was in a literary field 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Ah, well that explains why I didn’t see it. I have an account on FB, but it’s only to keep tabs on the kids. I “waste” enough time here. 😉

And you have my respect, too, then. It’s all I can do to deal with my problems, much less someone elses! 😆

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And you have my respect, too, then. It’s all I can do to deal with my problems, much less someone elses! 😆

😆 thanks 😉 If nothing else, it may explain my emphasis on consensus building and trying to find common ground when discussions of this or that come up.

mopsy
    Participant

Elsinore, I actually think you may find Hospice a rewarding choice to persue. I was an Aministrator for Long Term Care and loved it. Our Hospice contacts were a great addition to the nursing home team making it possible for those who wanted to go home.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, I did some Hospice training in grad school, actually, and my family has benefited from their services on several occasions, so I really value the work they do.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Man, am I intimately aware of that. One of my degrees is Engineering Physics. It was all good until we got into quantumn mechanics. I took some comp sci classes for math electives and ending up liking it enough that I went on to earn a CS degree, too, but comparitively, CS is a walk in the park. I’ve got a huge amount of respect for the physicists out there.

As an astronomy/physics student who has taken far too many quantum and thermal classes to be consistent with good mental health, I thank you. Still, I’m not so sure I agree with U-Man-this stuff is pretty difficult, but medicine just seems way beyond difficult in a lot of ways. When you’re doing physics, there’s usually no real time limit or important stakes resting on your shoulders (like lives, for example). Just my two cents.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

As an astronomy/physics student who has taken far too many quantum and thermal classes to be consistent with good mental health…

Yeah, I think there’s something about upper-level physics that either requires or generates (I’m not sure, it’s a chicken-and–egg thing) a certain, shall we say, different way of thinking. 🙂 Every one of my physics professors fit the stereotype to a tee.

And I think Teller and Openheimer might disagree with you about the lack of important stakes. 😉 (Not to diminish the pressure of being doctor at all.)

Anyway, good luck with your studies, stay sane, and keep with it. I consider physics to be the top of pile of engineering-related studies. As I used to rib my friend who’s a petroleum engineer, “The rest of y’all just plug numbers into forumlas, the physicists derived those formulas in the first place!”

Plamadude30k
    Participant

As an astronomy/physics student who has taken far too many quantum and thermal classes to be consistent with good mental health…

Yeah, I think there’s something about upper-level physics that either requires or generates (I’m not sure, it’s a chicken-and–egg thing) a certain, shall we say, different way of thinking. 🙂 Every one of my physics professors fit the stereotype to a tee.

And I think Teller and Openheimer might disagree with you about the lack of important stakes. 😉 (Not to diminish the pressure of being doctor at all.)

Anyway, good luck with your studies, stay sane, and keep with it. I consider physics to be the top of pile of engineering-related studies. As I used to rib my friend who’s a petroleum engineer, “The rest of y’all just plug numbers into forumlas, the physicists derived those formulas in the first place!”

Of course, the mathematicians would say they’re ultimately on the top of that pile, and I’m not going to argue. Anyway, the weirdness in physicists is a combination of the internal strangeness and the external. You have to be a little crazy to do it in the first place, and by doing it, that bit of you is magnified. Everybody needs a release; I’ve got photography (among other things) and I’m always thankful for this place.

orionid
    Participant

When you’re doing physics, there’s usually no real time limit or important stakes resting on your shoulders (like lives, for example). Just my two cents.

You’ve never seen reactor power screaming up at 5 decades per minute. Yes, decades. As in, adding zeros on a logarithmic scale.

/Crap. Now I have to kill all of you.

orionid
    Participant

Also, I’m half quivering with anticipation, half dreading returning to college. I plan on doubling up between nuclear and aerospace engineering. Hooray for 26th level differentiations of the fission equation whilst maintaining proper thermal properties in set orbital dynamics. But hey, someone’s gotta design the next generation of satellites.

/And if I work where I want to end up working, you’d better throw some optical equations in there for good measure.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 152 total)
  • The topic ‘01-26-11 – Weather’ is closed to new replies.