01-26-11 – Weather

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-26-11 – Weather

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

/Crap. Now I have to kill all of you.

Will that be by 45KV or .30 cal? 😆

/Remember to get good pictures for Sparks ‘n Arcs II

orionid
    Participant

Yes. 😀

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Also, I’m half quivering with anticipation, half dreading returning to college. I plan on doubling up between nuclear and aerospace engineering. Hooray for 26th level differentiations of the fission equation whilst maintaining proper thermal properties in set orbital dynamics. But hey, someone’s gotta design the next generation of satellites.

/And if I work where I want to end up working, you’d better throw some optical equations in there for good measure.

I missed this post earlier somehow. Mad props to you. I’m not sure I’d have the stamina to do it now (at least for real – it’d be a lotta fun if it was learning just for learning’s sake). I’ve sadly forgotten most of my high-level math, so I’m dreading when my youngest starts coming to me for calc help.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

When you’re doing physics, there’s usually no real time limit or important stakes resting on your shoulders (like lives, for example). Just my two cents.

You’ve never seen reactor power screaming up at 5 decades per minute. Yes, decades. As in, adding zeros on a logarithmic scale.

Heh. Well, perhaps I should specify my particular subfield. The most dangerous thing we deal with in observational astronomy is a liquid helium dewar, which is pretty dangerous but not catastrophe dangerous.

Kestrana
    Participant

When you’re doing physics, there’s usually no real time limit or important stakes resting on your shoulders (like lives, for example). Just my two cents.

You’ve never seen reactor power screaming up at 5 decades per minute. Yes, decades. As in, adding zeros on a logarithmic scale.

Heh. Well, perhaps I should specify my particular subfield. The most dangerous thing we deal with in observational astronomy is a liquid helium dewar, which is pretty dangerous but not catastrophe dangerous.

Until you spot the asteroid that’s coming to kill us all!

caradoc
    Participant

The most dangerous thing we deal with in observational astronomy is a liquid helium dewar, which is pretty dangerous but not catastrophe dangerous.

That depends on the size of the Dewar.

I was in a building once that had a catastrophic dump of a rather sizable Dewar, and we had to evacuate. (liquid nitrogen, though, not helium.)

When sections of drywall and lath shatter like glass, that’s messy.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Until you spot the asteroid that’s coming to kill us all!

Yeah, I work right next door to the Catalina Sky Survey guys who discover a significant percentage of the new asteroids per year. Now that’s a high-stress job. I just look at planets outside our solar system.

ravnostic
    Participant

Two questions:

1) Are you counting auroras as weather? Just want to know as soosh sweeps contests with his unbelievable pictures, and it’s nice to know what I’ll be going up against (i.e., am I vying for #1, or #2–as if I could get either!) As I read the interweb, aurora are within the atmosphere (the ionosphere), but are well above the point where H2O plays a role. It’s a matter of where we draw the line on our atmosphere, and that decision is yours, Kes.

2) Besides rainbows, there’s a host of other atmospheric light phenom’s, and I’d like to use an image containing them (rainbows=light reflected/refracted in/through water droplets, there are a host of others can be light via ice crystals). Si, or No?

orionid
    Participant

Aurora’s are direct interplay between solar winds, the earth’s magnetic field, and the ionosphere. I’d say not weather.

The phenomena that are a result of water and ice crystals in the lower atmosphere (Or even man-made noctilucent clouds, as we saw recently) like rainbows, sundogs, and halos, I’d go ahead and say are weather. But I’ll defer to Kestrana for the final call. It’ll be late, though. She’s busy today.

ravnostic
    Participant

Aurora’s are direct interplay between solar winds, the earth’s magnetic field, and the ionosphere. I’d say not weather.

The phenomena that are a result of water and ice crystals in the lower atmosphere (Or even man-made noctilucent clouds, as we saw recently) like rainbows, sundogs, and halos, I’d go ahead and say are weather. But I’ll defer to Kestrana for the final call. It’ll be late, though. She’s busy today.

This is my thinking, also, but I’ll await her verdict. And there’s plenty of time, I’m just looking for a little ‘forecast’ into next week, as I have this week in the bag.

mopsy
    Participant

Can we show a windy day using a person whose hair is blowing and the object she is holding also shows signs of the wind blowing? What about the aftermath of a wind storm, like trees having been blown down?

Kestrana
    Participant

mopsy Yes.

ravnostic what orionid says is the way I tend to think also.

clouddancer
    Participant

So I can re-try the fake fog thing for a better shot for this?

olavf
    Participant

Can we show a windy day using a person whose hair is blowing and the object she is holding also shows signs of the wind blowing? What about the aftermath of a wind storm, like trees having been blown down?

I hope so, ’cause that’s the one idea I had for next week 😕

-edit: It got windy just as the sun went down today, which means this weekend is probably going to be dull and calm and grey again.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

mopsy Yes.

ravnostic what orionid says is the way I tend to think also.

If you want to exclude auroras and space-based phenomena, we may want to add a clarifying statement in the description since scientists do refer to “space weather” and “solar winds”.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 152 total)
  • The topic ‘01-26-11 – Weather’ is closed to new replies.