01-26-11 – Weather

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-26-11 – Weather

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

up at 5:30am local time, and there’s already 185 posts. but i threw mine in there anyway. not much else to do while i eat breakfast.
    lots and lots and oodles of great photos, many breathtaking ones, the stuff that makes me just want to lovingly place my camera under a truck wheel. hardly any i won’t eventually vote for.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

There are some amazing shots this week.

Rav I really like two of yours, the cloud puking rainbows and the monsoon clouds. I wish I lived where I could see clouds like that.

ravnostic
    Participant

Much obliged Pope. Given my ‘fail’ last week, it’s warms my belly to be faring considerably better. We can thank my upstairs neighbor for the rainbow puke. She pounded on my floor to get me outside and said ‘grab your camera for this!’. I did, and about 10 minutes in the cloud just morphed into Casper. I have a nice panoramic of the whole scene; the rainbow, excepting the whiteness of Casper bleaching it out, was complete.

/edit/ //if I’m not mistaken, olavf, is that perhaps Venus above and to the left of your California weather shot? About 1 thumbprint away? Perhaps Jupiter? ISS?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Eden, I really like your thunderstorm & frozen flower globes. You don’t have a closeup of one of the globes, do you?

rav, you really hit it outta the ballpark this time. I’ve gotta balance out Pope and say my favorite is the sunrise halo.

As several have already said, lots and lots of really good ones this week. I’m just glad I don’t have to try to enforce the “different weather per entry” rule – that’d be a tough call I think.

And it’s really early in the contest, of course, but we’re already almost double the average # votes and even 200 votes above the last “epic” contest!

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

CauseISaidSo, glad you liked em, and also glad I made you laugh. Your quarter-size hail shot reminded me of the story my stepdad told me about a nasty hailstorm on his street. After the storm, he saw one of his neighbours climb up on the roof with a ballpeen hammer to make sure there was enough damage that his roof would be replaced by the insurance company!
    Also, Bandit is a great looking dog. Maybe we’ll see that shot in vote whoring?

ravnostic thanks for the shout-out! Honestly, kudos from a fellow photographer I respect are worth a lot more to me than anonymous votes on the internet any day. Not sayin I don’t care about the votes, or that the vote totals are meaningless, but some very wise person once told me that what is popular is not neccesarily good, and what is good is not always popular. One only has to look at the music charts to see the truth of this … Bieber fever? Seriously? 🙄

Thanks to LeicaLens for the kind words as well! I was guessing a parachute for your wind b-side, but an awning makes a lot more sense. Let me turn the tables and say that your glider on a mountain shot should be getting way more votes IMO. Love it.

ravnostic
    Participant

rav, you really hit it outta the ballpark this time.

Shhh! Don’t jinx it!!

And it’s really early in the contest, of course, but we’re already almost double the average # votes and even 200 votes above the last “epic” contest!

Last epic as in last week? I’ll quote Perry White: “I don’t believe it!” Graphs, please. (but yeah, Kestrana’s theme pick is a ‘win’)

I promised myself I’d go to bed 12 hours into the voting. ‘cha right–like that’s gonna happen! I’m supposed to sleep now? I was expecting the usual–everyone’s shots blowing mine out of the water. And…a lot are. I’ll never figure out these voters. It’s still early, and I see climbers. I’m shooting for a 3rd place–that’s the only top ten spot I’ve yet to get. I’ve already bested a few of my personal stats–why be greedy?

Rav: The Puking Rainbow is Full of WIN!

//Apparently, you aren’t too far off. How much do you charge for a tea leaf reading?

olavf
    Participant

/edit/ //if I’m not mistaken, olavf, is that perhaps Venus above and to the left of your California weather shot? About 1 thumbprint away? Perhaps Jupiter? ISS?

It was taken facing roughly North at around 3pm on 1/23, so surely not Venus and I did a quick look – ISS is visible in the early morning here so that’s doubtful. I dunno. I can look at the full-scale shot again this evening but I doubt there’ll be anything discernible.

Haven’t had a chance to really look at all the shots yet, but from what I’ve seen there are some good ones in there this week.

ravnostic
    Participant

It was taken facing roughly North at around 3pm on 1/23, so surely not Venus and I did a quick look – ISS is visible in the early morning here so that’s doubtful. I dunno. I can look at the full-scale shot again this evening but I doubt there’ll be anything discernible.

Checking the history, it passed on the 23rd, but in the south, and wrong time. Would be interested in what it was, though. Maybe lens flare, but awefully sharp, if so. Ideas, anyone?

Oh, and I forgot, here’s the pic of the full rainbow panoramic, a few minutes after Casper gave up the ghostly fascade:

Gives a good idea how dark the skies were, excepting Casper, at least.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

CauseISaidSo, glad you liked em, and also glad I made you laugh. Your quarter-size hail shot reminded me of the story my stepdad told me about a nasty hailstorm on his street. After the storm, he saw one of his neighbours climb up on the roof with a ballpeen hammer to make sure there was enough damage that his roof would be replaced by the insurance company!
    Also, Bandit is a great looking dog. Maybe we’ll see that shot in vote whoring?

Ha! Unfortunately, there was no need for the hammer after that storm. Literally every roof in my neighborhood (and several others) had to be replaced.

And thanks from Bandit! That’s actually why I didn’t enter that one in this contest (possibly saving it for vote whoring). I’ve got another of her as a puppy that I might use instead, though. Maybe both, I don’t otherwise have a lot of vote whoring material.

Last epic as in last week? I’ll quote Perry White: “I don’t believe it!” Graphs, please.

You know I can’t pass up an opportunity to whore out my stats. 😉 But, no, aside from orionid stealing all the votes ;), last week was just slightly above average in total vote count. I was talking about the week before’s epic:

Gray is the average of the past 13 contents, #297 is the epic “Five Is Right Out”, #298 is “Color Popping Naturally” and #299 is where we are today. Almost twice the average and above even 5IRO.

I’m shooting for a 3rd place–that’s the only top ten spot I’ve yet to get.

I’ve got two of those – wanna trade for a 2nd? 🙂 Also need a 5th & 7th.

orionid
    Participant

😉 But, no, aside from orionid stealing all the votes ;), last week was just slightly above average in total vote count. I was talking about the week before’s epic

I brought some back this week to share with everyone. I just wanted to make sure there were enough to go around.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’ll never figure out these voters. It’s still early, and I see climbers. I’m shooting for a 3rd place–that’s the only top ten spot I’ve yet to get. I’ve already bested a few of my personal stats–why be greedy?

I’ve got two of those and nothing else in the top 10. I’d gladly trade one of mine for one of yours this week 😀 .

chupathingie
    Participant

Eden, I really like your thunderstorm & frozen flower globes. You don’t have a closeup of one of the globes, do you?

That one really grabbed my attention, but there are so many outstanding shots up in this contest.

Y’all have outdone yourselves this time around.

/applause

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

thank you much. i’m blushing. dig the ice-covered trees of yours, how they contrast with the greens and water.

no worthwhile closeups of that globe, if i recall. would have to archive dig, but i’m betting against it. i have some others from more recent storms; however, they lack the same appeal.

hey, olavf: i saw your photo of the red clouds and said, “well howdy-doo, i have one quite similar.”

ennuipoet
    Participant

//Apparently, you aren’t too far off. How much do you charge for a tea leaf reading?

Merely a third of your vote total attributed to any one of my pics 😛

Seriously good shots all this week, a broad and esoteric selection of weathers.

As far as over all vote totals, watch next week for a major spike. Farkers can’t resist rewarding Vote Whores with their votes!

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

so many killer photos…….

i think i mentioned this already

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)
  • The topic ‘01-26-11 – Weather’ is closed to new replies.