01-26-11 – Weather

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-26-11 – Weather

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

My apologies. That sounded a lot more whiny and a lot less simply frustrated than I intended. Can I blame it on a general lack of sleep? kthx

The weather around here is, at best, completely un-cooperative though. To the point where if it is going to vary, it’ll change in the middle of the night so usually it quite literally does go from being overcast and grey one day, to clear and sunny the next. It usually rains at the most inconvenient times, and then in the most inconvenient way possible, etc. Finding decent conditions at a time when it’s possible to get out the camera can be a challenge. I think I worked on ‘rain’ for something like two months to get anything postable – and my one good shot was literally getting home from work, grabbing the camera, grabbing the wife (model) and hoofing it to the spot I’d been thinking about before the conditions changed. In the dark because it’s generally dark when I leave the house, and dark by the time I leave work this time of year.

Anyway, I’ll get something, I’m sure. I always manage to.

I haven’t missed a contest in two years or so, and I don’t intend to any time soon. In some ways Farktography is my version of Project365 – I try and get at least one good picture every week expressly for a contest. I often archive-dive too, but I try not to go there *first*. I’m not exactly expanding my horizons if I’m constantly using pictures I’ve already taken, yanno?

/tl,dr; frustrated and had to vent. My apologies. Carry on.

orionid
    Participant

And I have a similar anecdote about a 3rd entry – my Christmas Balls entry from Optimus Prime. That was literally a last-minute, “what can I shoot for my third entry?”, 3-takes-and-that’s-good-enough shot. And it came in 4th. The car entry, which I carefully planned and spent 2-3 hours and 50+ takes to get just the look I wanted, was my worst performer that week.

Story of my life. 😛

U-Man
    Participant

Heh. One could probably take photos of 3+ types of “weather” and never leave the house. I know that the outside type of weather is the idea behind the theme but, if necessary, most folks have a freezer, a shower, a swimsuit, some sunglasses, an umbrella, maybe winter boots, etc. With some thought all of these could mean “weather”.

Kinda like this one says “Distance” – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Reach_8427.jpg

As rav said, outside the box but inside the theme can work.

ennuipoet
    Participant

What? Nice isn’t weather? A beautiful sunny day, which around the Sac-A-Tomatoes isn’t to hard! 🙂

caradoc
    Participant

Farkback = nonresponsive. I’m still unable to post comments in Fark threads at this time.

Can I impose on someone to post OBO for me again this week?

ravnostic
    Participant

Farkback = nonresponsive. I’m still unable to post comments in Fark threads at this time.

Can I impose on someone to post OBO for me again this week?

I’d be happy to if I can have time to work with the scratchpad and make sure I do it right–but you do know it’s ‘5 is right out week’ and not ‘Weather’, right? 😉

caradoc
    Participant

Yeah, this would be for next week – assuming I can’t get it fixed. I don’t have time to deal with “5 is right out,” having started a new job as of yesterday.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah if the links are posted, I can OBO again

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

… having started a new job as of yesterday.

Yikes! A new job and a baby on the way. Sounds like it could be the recipe for a perfect storm of stress. Here’s wishing you smooth sailing on both counts.

U-Man
    Participant

Yikes! A new job and a baby on the way. Sounds like it could be the recipe for a perfect storm of stress. Here’s wishing you smooth sailing on both counts.

Between June and early August in 2001, I:

Took oral boards (GIANT, HUGELY stressful exam)
    Finished residency on Friday
    Started my job on Monday
    Sold a house FSBO
    Bought a house
    Moved
    Had baby #2

All good things…but whew! 🙂

caradoc
    Participant

Thanks… but “new job” in this case means spending a lot of time filling out a lot of paperwork to eliminate three layers of management and change the name appearing on my paychecks.

It’s a good thing.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Between June and early August in 2001, I…

Yeah, I don’t know how you doctors do it. I ended up pursuing two degrees, so by the time I got through undergrad, I’d had enough of school to last me for quite a while and post-grad was not even a remote consideration. I can’t imagine doing post-grad and then residency.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah I went straight from undergrad to post-grad and burned out from the stress. I have a healthy respect for anyone with 6+ years of college.

Kestrana
    Participant

Of all the things to double post…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

My story isn’t as compressed as U-Man’s, but I can relate. I went straight through undergrad to masters with professors telling me to go on for the doctorate…at that point I needed the break. And as cool as those doctoral velvet tams and extra wide and long hood are, I don’t think I’ll end up getting one now. Moved across country twice in 4 years, joined a group practice, passed my boards, got pregnant a few months later, then decided not to go back to it after the baby. Now I do a lot of things..just none of them degree related 😆

caradoc: I’ll see if I can ping someone in Farkback and see if they’ve figured out what’s going on (they might not have pinned it down).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • The topic ‘01-26-11 – Weather’ is closed to new replies.