02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

I was bummed that I’d used my favorite bus shot already in a B&W contest.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Yugoboy’s Artist, U-man’s Dad & Daughter, and Kestrana’s Sunset Viewer are my favorites and far, far superior photos…

Thanx mucho!

When I approached her asking if I could take a picture, she thought I meant of her work. She was much less reluctant when it finally sank in I meant her! Her look is one of bemusement for that reason. 😀

fluffybunny
    Participant

http://sacredartichoke.com/coppermine/albums/11-14-2006/normal_img_8868.jpg

Nice, reminds me of:

Yugoboy
    Participant

I guess vote-whoring is easier over at the photoshop contests… I genuinely figured the Italian hottie would do better. No foolin’ the voters!
    (Not that it was a great photo… as much as I tried to burn in the background, the contrast was far too bright…)

soosh
    Participant

http://sacredartichoke.com/coppermine/albums/11-14-2006/normal_img_8868.jpg

Nice, reminds me of:

he certainly smelled like grain alcohol.

Yoyo
    Participant

Yoyo–I don’t mean to be mean-spirited, demented, immature, or malicious, but it has to be said (or I think so). If there were ever a reason for a ‘funny’ vote, it’s the recruiter shot from Arcelor Mittal. I’m sure she’s a very pretty girl–I can see that–but that makeup has. got. to. end. The penciled brows are not only uneven, but they’re a bit evil looking. The top lashes look like she’s on the Las Vegas Strip (and I don’t mean the burlesque), and this combines with a smile that says, “Yes, I hear you, but I’m ignoring you, you want me to hire you where?”

It got both the votes from me.

Rav, your comment had me laughing out loud. Since the Farkistanis seems to have a morbid fascination with “kill it with fire” photos (often via The Smoking Gun mugshot line-up), I decided to go with her instead of some more photogenic recruiters (a la pharmaceutical sales reps). This portrait captures the theme “strange” on so many levels.

Arcelor Mittal is a global mining and metal company. They have a steel mill outside El Paso Texas where they make rebar.

Regarding this young lady’s style of make-up, I can only describe that as “south-western Chicana chic”. At least she doesn’t use a black Sharpie for her “eyebrows” and doesn’t have tattooed eye-liner (yet). I can’t say I noticed her lashes myself, as the lazy-eye over powered those. On the full size images, there’s something going on with her upper lip as well. Philtrum. Slight case of macrodontia. She may be the kind of woman that perhaps only a steel mill worker would consider pretty, hence my title.

Regarding her expression, it seemed like her counterpart recruiter was leading the show (or at least recruiting for engineers like me), and I did speak with the counterpart at length. While I was taking this photo, there was another employment seeker talking with the second woman. One or the other of them asked about my camera, and since there was someone waiting to speak with the other rep, I asked her if I could take her picture. This is my second shot from a low angle, because I didn’t like my first shot ‘s perspective where I was standing and she was seated.

orionid
    Participant

Notice any difference in the Fark pages tonight? The stats scraper sure did. Lots of major non-visual changes. Have I mentioned how much I love it when that happens? Just came down to make sure everything was running smoothly before heading to bed and then 2.5 hrs later, it’s finally working again. *sigh* Anway, that explains the gap in the voting charts.

That magic place-showing button you coded and I linked in my shortcut bar brokem too :{

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks for the back-story, Yoyo! Glad you got my style of humor (some don’t, ya’know!)

orionid
    Participant

Thanks for the back-story, Yoyo! Glad you got my style of humor (some don’t, ya’know!)

Humor on teh internest is hard.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That magic place-showing button you coded and I linked in my shortcut bar brokem too :{

Yeah, I was gonna ask if anyone still used that. The problem is that the voting “bars” used to be uniquely identified so the script could find them all easily. After the change, that’s no longer the case. I’m not a jQuery expert (which is what that script relied on), so it’s not just a simple fix. I’ll see what I can do…

orionid
    Participant

Don’t stress too hard.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Ha! You didn’t really think I’d let it get the best of me, did you?

javascript:var%20n=0,p=0,lv=0,x=$(‘td.commentHeaderRow[colSpan=”3″]%20font’).each(function(){n=n+1;var%20a=$(this).text();a=a.substr(0,a.indexOf(“%20″));if(a!=lv){p=n;lv=a}var%20b=”th”,d=p%25100;if(d20){var%20c=p%2510;if(c==1)b=”st”;else%20if(c==2)b=”nd”;else%20if(c==3)b=”rd”}$(this).before(‘‘+p+b+”%20Place%20(Entry%20#”+n+”)“)})

For those who don’t know what that is, here’s a link to my original post about it (keep in mind this is all pre-Bibliostats).

orionid
    Participant

Ha! You didn’t really think I’d let it get the best of me, did you?

javascript:var%20n=0,p=0,lv=0,x=$(‘td.commentHeaderRow[colSpan=”3″]%20font’).each(function(){n=n+1;var%20a=$(this).text();a=a.substr(0,a.indexOf(“%20″));if(a!=lv){p=n;lv=a}var%20b=”th”,d=p%25100;if(d20){var%20c=p%2510;if(c==1)b=”st”;else%20if(c==2)b=”nd”;else%20if(c==3)b=”rd”}$(this).before(‘‘+p+b+”%20Place%20(Entry%20#”+n+”)“)})

For those who don’t know what that is, here’s a link to my original post about it (keep in mind this is all pre-Bibliostats).

YAY!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Be sure and get my edited version – the version in the original post link worked but I forgot to turn off HTML in that post so it screwed up the script. It’s fixed now.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-man on the “Best” category win and to Yoyo on the “Funniest” category win this week!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • The topic ‘02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange’ is closed to new replies.