02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Participant

Are Muslim foot-washing rooms, Scientology centers and/or bible-study rooms kosher for this?

They have rooms for foot-washing where you are?!? All the places I’ve been have them outside, or have none at all.

Yugoboy
    Participant

how about buildings that used to have a roof? have some potentials of ruined abbeys churches in the UK and France.

I’m cool with that. I just didn’t want Stonehenge, or crop circles and stuff. It should be a building dedicated to some worship practice.

staplermofo – Scientology is a form of worship. I’ve got my opinions, but people believe it, and if you can make it look good (and it’s a building) go for it. The Muslim foot washing fountain – if it’s in the courtyard and you catch the mosque in the image, or if it’s indoors (as the one at the local mosque I’ve visited is), I can’t see a major problem with that. I suppose the “Bible Study Room” could work, so long as you’re not just shooting your den or something. If it’s like the Christian Science Reading Room sort of deal, I can see that being wedged into fitting the theme. The voters WILL let you know just how close to the theme you are.

staplermofo
    Participant

They have rooms for foot-washing where you are?!? All the places I’ve been have them outside, or have none at all.

A couple colleges and office buildings here have them. You can have only so many people washing their feet in the sinks and drying them with toilet paper before you look like an asshole for not providing a more dignified way.

orionid
    Participant

A couple colleges and office buildings here have them. You can have only so many people washing their feet in the sinks and drying them with toilet paper before you look like an asshole for not providing a more dignified way.

Penn State has not learned this. It was always a higlight of my evening to watch my roommate try to get his feet up to the sink.

Yoyo
    Participant

Penn State has not learned this. It was always a higlight of my evening to watch my roommate try to get his feet up to the sink.

New Mexico State doesn’t have any either, but I never saw my grad-school math partners wash their feet or pray. (Mech. engineering was only Chinese and Indians.) The only Moslem thing they ever did was ask if there was no work on Easter, er, um, I mean on “Spring Holiday,” and Ayman also asked, “why rabbits?” I never really thought about foot washing.

Of course, I have had much more interaction with Muslims since then. In fact, of all the mosques I’ve been to around the world, I’ve never visited the one in my home town. I thought about going over there, but the website said call in advance and the photos on the site showed architecture that wasn’t very inspiring.

So, instead, I did what New Mexico does best: Catholicism. Three churches along the El Camino Real, aka Highway 28.

Farktographer
    Participant

Seems like from discussion this would be kosher, but I’m double-checking. I’m not planning on submitting this one in particular, but clearing it up for other ideas:

Line of Lanterns by Farktographer1, on Flickr

Just not sure because it’s not absolutely blatant that this is a temple.

ravnostic
    Participant

My god, I actually have my trinity. I was about to sit this one out in prayer–but a quick archive dive to Christmas and Colorado this summer (just before my xTi died, and has yet to be resurrected) saved me! Praise bejebus! Now, if only the voters would agree…

Yugoboy
    Participant

Seems like from discussion this would be kosher, but I’m double-checking. I’m not planning on submitting this one in particular, but clearing it up for other ideas:

Line of Lanterns by Farktographer1, on Flickr

Just not sure because it’s not absolutely blatant that this is a temple.

I see roof, I see walls… it’s a bit open, but can be another wedged in qualifier… again, the voters will have the ultimate say.

lokisbong
    Participant

Didn’t someone recently mention that Fark had upped the allowable file size? Can anybody remember what the limit might be now? I will just go by the old size limit if I have to but would love to post higher quality file size.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I want to say that it was 250K, loki, but I’m not absolutely sure about that. The last contest I entered, I had a couple at around 160K with no problems.

lokisbong
    Participant

Eh until I can find it or Fark changes the posting guidelines page I will just keep doing things the old way.

ravnostic
    Participant

It’s 250K. Same size limitations, I think, though.

powerfulkatrinka
    Participant

Methodist, Wesleyan, Christian Science, Episcopal,Presbyterian, Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran,Spiritualist, I think that’s all of them in our little WNY village. At one time the joke was we had more churches and bars per population in the country. I still can’t decide what to post.

lokisbong
    Participant

I don’t mind the size limit as long as I can post them at something close to original quality. I am not gonna re-upload this weeks but next week I will remember the new limits.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So if foot washing rooms are ok, does that mean the photos do not have to be exterior shots?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • The topic ‘02-15-12 – Places of Worship’ is closed to new replies.