05-11-11 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 6

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-11-11 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 6

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

So with this type of contest, do you take the theme into consideration when voting or just whether you like the pic in general?

I’m wondering because some images might not have done as well in their specific theme due to tough competition or maybe didn’t fit the theme real well, where in a ‘free-for-all’, they might do better.

I just strolled through my FSM profile and grabbed the ones I liked from the last year. I gave up on trying to figure out what voters may like best a long time ago.

Oh so much this. I even posted one I have not used before because I like it a lot.

I was going to post new stuff but I decided to save them for the appropriate themes.

U-Man
    Participant

Ok, thanks! So the original theme is irrelevant and just more what you like best. I’m having a hard time deciding if I want to use old or new ones.

Just to confuse the matter… I consider the pic in the context of the original theme. However, there are so many great pics in the Anniversary themes that the pic has to stand on its own too.

U-Man
    Participant

QueenBee, I can’t see this pic –> 2011-05-11 08:02:46 PM
    Battle for Clementine Hill

U-Man
    Participant

swampa, how do you make the orb thing? I tried to find an article or blog or something and failed.

swampa
    Participant

swampa, how do you make the orb thing? I tried to find an article or blog or something and failed.

This tutorial was the video that got me started (and his photos are amazing!)

Instead of having a whole heap of LEDs at one end, I created strands with a 10mm high intensity LED at the end that I could connect to a base plate with the colours I wanted (red, blue, green, white, yellow or a combination there of) and just use some tape at the other end to keep them together in a bunch when being swung around.

orionid
    Participant

This tutorial was the video that got me started (and his photos are amazing!)

Instead of having a whole heap of LEDs at one end, I created strands with a 10mm high intensity LED at the end that I could connect to a base plate with the colours I wanted (red, blue, green, white, yellow or a combination there of) and just use some tape at the other end to keep them together in a bunch when being swung around.

I could spend all day going through his photostream.
    Wow.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks a bunch swampa. I agree with O. That guy knows how to do this shiat.

olavf
    Participant

Pretty much. I listed the theme names to give my shots a little context. If I’d used a b-side, I might have said so, but it’s not important.

clouddancer
    Participant

It has been my experience (and others could prove me wrong) that reposting a picture that I already used in a contest to get more votes in this one, doesn’t work all that well. I just went with ones I liked that I probably wouldn’t use in a contest and that I could probably take again. It’s kind of like one of the random contests in that respect. Of course, I have yet to win any contest, and I’ve only hit the top 10 thrice, so take my viewpoint for what that’s worth.

kashari
    Participant

Thanks all. I was late entering, but finally decided to use two of my favorites from contests and one new entry.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Well this was probably not the best contest to choose to return to Farktography for. Lot’s of high quality entries, and hours of archive diving to choose three shots!
    By the way, I haven’t been around much lately, but I noticed a few changes: I know amount the new ban-hammer wielding Moderators, but what happened to the Farktography link on the Fark site? I thought Farktography had a link in the community box on the right-hand side of the page, but I can’t find it. Have we announced our independence? “No photographs without representation” or something?

Anyway, a couple of Bees:
    http://flic.kr/p/9GJimg
    http://flic.kr/p/9GMb4A (wanted to put this in Show of Hands, but didn’t have time, and I think it had to be human hands, right?)
    http://flic.kr/p/9GMb3J

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Actually, I think all the external friend-site links went bye-bye.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Actually, I think all the external friend-site links went bye-bye.

I think you’re right about that; Farktography was the only one I really used, which is why I noticed its absence.

ennuipoet
    Participant

So with this type of contest, do you take the theme into consideration when voting or just whether you like the pic in general?

I’m wondering because some images might not have done as well in their specific theme due to tough competition or maybe didn’t fit the theme real well, where in a ‘free-for-all’, they might do better.

I just strolled through my FSM profile and grabbed the ones I liked from the last year. I gave up on trying to figure out what voters may like best a long time ago.

Oh so much this. I even posted one I have not used before because I like it a lot.

I actually entered three “new” shots. I kinda figure for used pics if they did or didn’t do well the first time around, retreading them won’t change that. A look at the early voting totals confirms it. Those shots that did well the first time they were used are doing well again. 😀

Plus, I got to use some shots that I really like that haven’t been usable in a theme.

orionid
    Participant

Elsinore, I don’t have a timestamp or anything, but one of my shots (Duke Sucks, from Just Desserts”) has dropped into the ether. I posted three, there’s only two in the thread. I don’t even have the “deleted post” thingy. Any halp would be great, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • The topic ‘05-11-11 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 6’ is closed to new replies.