05-18-11 – Classical Elements

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-18-11 – Classical Elements

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

I like the collage idea, but I don’t think my shots are going to arrange together all that well. Maybe I’ll come up with something once I start shooting 😛

Yugoboy
    Participant

Query:
    Rocks are “earth,” right?

Water I got covered.
    Fire may or may not get done (got some ideas, but time is fleeing fast)
    For earth, however, I’ve only got one set if “earth” = mud/dirt and I’m not thrilled with it. Got a ton o’ rock shots, though…
    As for air, I think I’m punting, ain’t got the deep archive yet.

U-Man
    Participant

IMO, rocks and mud and mountains and sand and the salt flats and etc. are all ‘earth’.

ravnostic
    Participant

^^yep. ^^ I’d stop short of ‘animal’ and ‘vegetable’ and stick with ‘mineral’, though. Just my preference.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Thanx. Got a nice one. Just tweaked it (didn’t need a lot, but you guys are tough competition!) and now I’ve got 2 (I think)

linguine
    Participant

I’d lean towards allowing plants for earth too, I’ve seen them used for earth in lots of photos before.

olavf
    Participant

I would say plants *in* earth yes. But there’s got to be some kind of soil, rock, etc involved IMO.

Farktographer
    Participant

I would say plants *in* earth yes. But there’s got to be some kind of soil, rock, etc involved IMO.

Feeling this. It’ll probably end up being decided by the voters, but I feel dirt/sand/rocks are earth, but trees just don’t cut it unless you’re showing earth incorporated with them.

Personal preference is that photos like these are good “earth” shots:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28119819@N07/5689870358/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mauandsa/2184373833/

…but that photos like this wouldn’t cut it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vst/2905067523/

/Personal opinion, to each his own, yadda yadda…

U-Man
    Participant

I agree with the last two O and F comments.

olavf
    Participant

Your second one, a bit more than the first, but I think they should both past muster, Farktographer.

But yeah, that’s what I was thinking regarding plants in the shot.

lokisbong
    Participant

So would a kite or a paraglider be kosher for this one? They both need air to do their thing.

olavf
    Participant

I’ll vote for kosher on both. I think airplanes would be out since they’re more about the engine than the air acting on them, though.

sleeping
    Participant

IMNSHO if we’re talking about classical elements those are really symbolic concepts, and I’m not sure it should be necessary for an image to literally contain fire/air etc to be appropriate here. Consider that the basic theory was that everything in the universe was made of those components….

ravnostic
    Participant

Elsinore, it’s probably a moot point, but if the gods are favorable and I get lucky, a response to my PM would be helpful. (b.CISS said if I can do as described focally it should be okay–let the voters decide.)

U-Man
    Participant

After thinking that ‘Air’ would be most difficult, I have a good shot and another good idea. I want to do the second one, but then again, it will only cause me pain trying to decide with one to use…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 135 total)
  • The topic ‘05-18-11 – Classical Elements’ is closed to new replies.