07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I’m partial to the first pickup, and the second-to-last Dart.

A-yep.

orionid
    Participant

Echoing the above comments, but also wondering why you haven’t broken into the abandoned houses you mentioned?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I’m partial to the first pickup, and the second-to-last Dart.

A-yep.

Yep, I agree with them.

clouddancer
    Participant

…wondering why you haven’t broken into the abandoned houses you mentioned?

I guess you could say I haven’t gotten there yet. Also worried about stability issues. Things are rather unstable in one and I guess completely collapsed in the other. Depending on how long my interview is, I’ll likely explore on Tuesday. If I don’t get to it then, hopefully by Thursday afternoon or Friday when someone else is here with the kid(s). I’ll get there.

spaten
    Participant

I have a whole Flickr page dedicated to this.

It’s going to be tough choosing one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larchaeo/

ravnostic
    Participant

You get to choose three. Which doesn’t make the selection process any easier, it seems…

olavf
    Participant

…wondering why you haven’t broken into the abandoned houses you mentioned?

I guess you could say I haven’t gotten there yet. Also worried about stability issues. Things are rather unstable in one and I guess completely collapsed in the other. Depending on how long my interview is, I’ll likely explore on Tuesday. If I don’t get to it then, hopefully by Thursday afternoon or Friday when someone else is here with the kid(s). I’ll get there.

Long story short, we met a ….dude last Sunday. Dude is a regional manager for Amtrak and has keys to stuff. Like 2/3 of the local Amtrak station that have basically been abandoned since the ’70’s (or earlier). Unfortunately we were drankin’ (he’d literally just rolled back in town from that horrific train wreck in NV last weekend) and I gave him my number but didn’t get his. I’ve seen him around though, and we have mutual friends, so it’ll happen, I just don’t know if in time for this contest.

He was also saying there’s a slim chance he could get me into the old train yards. They’re owned by the city, so it’s slim, but….I can’t even tell you how awesome that would be.

olavf
    Participant

Do you UrbEx or just happen on things? Options on the latter are fairly limited around here unless you travel.

Also, Welcome!

spaten
    Participant

This one is kind of amusing and fits the Abandon All Hope:

It’s at an abandoned Cold War Air Force Base that apparently raves were held at.

spaten
    Participant

Do you UrbEx or just happen on things? Options on the latter are fairly limited around here unless you travel.

Also, Welcome!

I’m lucky, I have a job where I get paid to document historic and prehistoric things.

I UrbEx’d when I was a kid, before there was even a term for it.

spaten
    Participant

I notice you are from Sacramento.

There are quite a few abandoned things in the Central Valley of California, some of my pics are from the Central Valley.

I cannot disclose locations, because of professional ethics.

olavf
    Participant

I’m lucky, I have a job where I get paid to document historic and prehistoric things.

I UrbEx’d when I was a kid, before there was even a term for it.

That’s cool..

olavf
    Participant

I notice you are from Sacramento.

There are quite a few abandoned things in the Central Valley of California, some of my pics are from the Central Valley.

I cannot disclose locations, because of professional ethics.

I can understand that. *Most* things in the general Sacto area have been re-purposed, or are slated/in the process of though. I know of a few things around – like the old PG&E substation off I-5 – but I’m not going to have time before next week.

Thankfully I made a trip through the Owens Valley a few months ago, so I’m good.

//but you know, if you ever need an extra camera, I won’t tell

spaten
    Participant

Another of many…Hope Has Left

spaten
    Participant

Bad Photo over-exposed, but Fark worthy meme:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 110 total)
  • The topic ‘07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People’ is closed to new replies.