07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photos of places and things abandoned by humanity. If humanity abandoned it, it fits. Find it. Photograph it.

Theme suggestion courtesy of ravnostic!

olavf
    Participant

So, I’ve a few shots for this one already, but I haven’t been doing enough camera work lately, and want to get out and shoot more…and I think Kat’s looking for a few ideas too.

What’s the threshold for abandoned? We’re going to try and find some shuttered factories down in the Alkali Flats area, but for the most part things around here are being reclaimed and/or repurposed. The neat old mill silos have been turned into condos, for example, so they’re out. The old SP railyards have been mostly abandoned, but not quite…the remaining structures are going to be incorporated into the railroad museum as an area to showcase refurbishment of old locomotives and rolling stock – but not yet. It’s mostly sitting there and…waiting. Behind a number of tall fences and a couple of 24-hour security guards to be exact. ‘Going there’ would be fool-hardy. Another example is the town of Locke, CA. Once a thriving Chinese Delta community, it’s population has dwindled to about 70-80 people, only 10 of whom are of Chinese descent. But it hasn’t been abandoned.

But my main question, is what’s left. Aside from shuttered factories and stores, everything around here that hasn’t been torn down has been preserved as a park of some point. The main one we’d both like to go back and shoot again is the Folsom Powerhouse – it was shuttered in the 40’s or so, but was handed over to the State and is a forgotten, but significant park/location in US history (It was the first place in the US that power was generated and sent somewhere else to be used). So it’s more or less been abandoned, but it’s preserved as a relic of times gone by. Does that fit, or is it pushing it? Similarly, most of the ‘ghost towns’ of the gold rush are preserved in a similar way up in the hills. Bodie would be an exception, but we’re not going to be able to make it down there in time for this contest.

edit- tl;dr: What about stuff that’s been abandoned, but preserved as parks?

ravnostic
    Participant

Ah, the dangers of recycling!! (They don’t tell you that in the commercials!)

My thought on this contest is things that currently don’t have a use, and aren’t being tended to/for, as in the television series ‘Life After People’ (of which, if you have NetFlix, you can see episodes.) But being realistic, ask yourself “Is it currently being used?” and “Is it being cared for?” If no, then it’s probably good. Obviously some geographic areas will present more difficulties than others. Your abandoned Folsum powerhouse, for example, may not be abandoned per se, but can you capture a picture of it that lends to the impression that it is? (i.e., if they mow the grass around it–shoot above the grass for example).

And perhaps Elsinore or one of the newer mods could change the description to read “places and/or things”? An old doll, lying 1/2 infused in the soil for 1/2 a year where a little girl (or boy for that matter) dropped it, could make a photo that would fit the theme nicely.

As usual, I prefer to keep the theme somewhat liberal in scope, to make it easier to moderate and allow people to adapt to whats available–the voters usually sort such things out in the end.

But stuff that’s obviously been repurposed–like the mills turned into condos–would definitely *not* be what this theme is about.

Kestrana
    Participant

Adjusted the theme description as you requested.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Olav, I’m running into the same problem, any building that was abandoned downtown has been made into condos or repurposed for something else. Nothing sits empty any more, unless they are attempting demolition by neglect.

I’ve been looking at Urban exploration sites for ideas, you might want to try the same.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Adjusted the theme description as you requested.

Actually I’ll have to go in and fix it under the hood as well, but that’s fine.

olavf
    Participant

Rav, I figured the repurposed stuff was out – I just threw that in as an example of what’s around here. We may still try and make it down to Locke, just because there simply has to more buildings than people there these days. Otherwise we’re mostly stuck with recently shuttered stuff that’s not so interesting, generally. They’ve discovered ‘history’ around here the last ten or so years, so stuff gets gobbled up so fast your head will spin.

I’ve got three already, I think, especially including the non-building stuff. I just need to get out and shoot more. I’ve been in a slump lately, and I hate it.

(as far as the powerhouse goes, we’ll probably save that for another thing. I could make it look abandoned, but I don’t like fudging)

Pope there is a place we want to try and get into. I’d love to get into the railyards, but that shiat is monitored so heavily I’m pretty sure I’d get arrested as soon as the pics hit the net. Big signs, multiple fences… was a Superfund site for a while because they had 140 years of continuous operations fixing trains there. But there’s an old PG&E substation nearby that has been rediscovered. Fences are all holey and the door is busted. Just need an evening without the kids….

Curious
    Participant

it’s so hard to find abandoned stuff around new orleans. 🙂

what’s really sad is that new orleans is full of katrina damage still and yet the MS gulf coast has done a fantastic job cleaning up. rebuilding is going on and while they are years away from what was lost the lots are empty and kept mowed and the area looks good. at least at first glance until you think of what was there.

Kestrana
    Participant

olavf, one word: Oakland.

Actually if you have time I can give you plenty of leads from Sacto to east of Reno. Auburn, CA would be a good place to start – even though a lot of their “abandoned” stuff isn’t really abandoned, it looks abandoned enough to photograph as abandoned.

clouddancer
    Participant

Ok, y’all need to come out to Maine. We have a crapton of abandoned stuff here. Hell, I live between two abandoned houses, not to mention all the crap out in the woods behind the house that’s been forgotten about for ages upon ages.

olavf
    Participant

We’ve got one car that needs to be registered and get a tune-up and the other one needs to get the A/C fixed and new front axles. We’re not driving anywhere far for a while =/

I’ve got plenty of stuff I took for this contest already, and some archive shots (thanks for the 9th Ward reminder Curious). I was just hoping to get a few more new ones. We’ll see what happens.

orionid
    Participant

Ok, y’all need to come out to Maine. We have a crapton of abandoned stuff here. Hell, I live between two abandoned houses, not to mention all the crap out in the woods behind the house that’s been forgotten about for ages upon ages.

So, we’re going to see your first win, right?

clouddancer
    Participant

orionid: A ha ha ahahahahaha! You’re funny. Me win? It’d take a miracle. I just play for fun.

clouddancer
    Participant

Alright. I have a few potentials. Anyone care to weigh in? I can certainly go back out and try again to do better.

Are these sufficiently abandoned enough?

olavf
    Participant

I’m partial to the first pickup, and the second-to-last Dart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • The topic ‘07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People’ is closed to new replies.