07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

That’s a really interesting job to have, and as olavf already said, welcome!

spaten
    Participant

That’s a really interesting job to have, and as olavf already said, welcome!

Thanks

ennuipoet
    Participant

Could a PERSON meet the definition of this contest? “If humanity abandoned it, it fits.” I am particularly thinking of homeless vets here. (No, I am not going to go out and shoot homeless vets for a Farktography thread, but I am thinking of shooting some self portrait work appearing as a homeless vet. Before I start smearing myself with dirt and crap I wanted a ruling.)

ravnostic
    Participant

My personal inspiration for the theme came from the series “Life after people”, which docu-drama’d the world if people were suddenly (and thereafter), just ‘not there’.

The series delved into the many canines and felines left behind, and what would happen to them. How many poodles would die? How many pit-bulls would make do? How various feline critters would retake up mousing, and reclaim those roots?

I do understand what you’re asking. But consider:

What a compelling image to find a dog abandoned on some lonely highway or rural road, matted, starved, dehydrated, and capture that moment on film…then post it in a contest.

Not for me. At least not in this venue–and it may violate some of the TOA in fark.com, in general. I’d have problems voting for such an image without a clear history of that animal’s rescue, and a continued and better life among caring people, providing a happy ending. I roll that way. If this were for National Geographic from something shot in a 3rd world country…another story, perhaps.

And there are homeless vets here (and abroad), and others. People abandoned by the rest of ‘quote unquote’ humanity. It’s not a light subject.

I’m reminded of a picture U-Man had a short while back; I don’t know if she was homeless, I remember him writing about how he told her she was beautiful, and asked to take her picture, and she smiled–it won the contest (the Stat’s Mgr is down for me right now, or I’d repost it); but that image gave me the feeling of abandoned, yet with hope. I don’t know that she was even homeless–but that’s the feeling I got from the image.

Because of that hope, I don’t think that sort of thing fits the theme (though, U-Man, to me it’s one of the best images I’ve ever had the joy of observing).

And without that hope–I don’t personally feel it’s appropriate for a contest in this venue, whether–God forbid–real, or ‘staged’.

In summary, I guess I’m saying “Abandon All Hope: Life After People” shouldn’t go there.

I’ll consider the mods’ weighing in, but I’d rather keep it inanimate.

//mean no offense.

ennuipoet
    Participant

My personal inspiration for the theme came from the series “Life after people”, which docu-drama’d the world if people were suddenly (and thereafter), just ‘not there’.

The series delved into the many canines and felines left behind, and what would happen to them. How many poodles would die? How many pit-bulls would make do? How various feline critters would retake up mousing, and reclaim those roots?

I do understand what you’re asking. But consider:

What a compelling image to find a dog abandoned on some lonely highway or rural road, matted, starved, dehydrated, and capture that moment on film…then post it in a contest.

Not for me. At least not in this venue–and it may violate some of the TOA in fark.com, in general. I’d have problems voting for such an image without a clear history of that animal’s rescue, and a continued and better life among caring people, providing a happy ending. I roll that way. If this were for National Geographic from something shot in a 3rd world country…another story, perhaps.

And there are homeless vets here (and abroad), and others. People abandoned by the rest of ‘quote unquote’ humanity. It’s not a light subject.

I’m reminded of a picture U-Man had a short while back; I don’t know if she was homeless, I remember him writing about how he told her she was beautiful, and asked to take her picture, and she smiled–it won the contest (the Stat’s Mgr is down for me right now, or I’d repost it); but that image gave me the feeling of abandoned, yet with hope. I don’t know that she was even homeless–but that’s the feeling I got from the image.

Because of that hope, I don’t think that sort of thing fits the theme (though, U-Man, to me it’s one of the best images I’ve ever had the joy of observing).

And without that hope–I don’t personally feel it’s appropriate for a contest in this venue, whether–God forbid–real, or ‘staged’.

In summary, I guess I’m saying “Abandon All Hope: Life After People” shouldn’t go there.

I’ll consider the mods’ weighing in, but I’d rather keep it inanimate.

//mean no offense.

Well said! I, too, felt the theme called for things not people, but the idea was ticking around in my head, so I asked.

Regarding the photographing of homeless folks, I don’t do it. OK, strike that, I do it, but only with their permission and that only rarely. There a subset of homeless in NYC that kind of make their living off being photographed by tourists. (Yeah, weird right!) They put on a big show for them and then ask for money. A few of these guys have given me a good enough show that I will take their photo and give them a few bucks, but for the most part I don’t.

That being said, I would actually like to do a serious piece on homeless vets. The guys I am used to seeing are all Viet Nam era, but a few younger people are showing up in the stream. I can speak the language but the thought of doing it damn intimidating. There but for fortune, you know.

Any way, I am good with the ruling, basically if I am asking I am expecting the answer “No” because if I think it might fly, I’ll go ahead and do it! 🙄

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

What are the rules regarding posting of phone numbers? I have a shot with a ‘for rent’ sign with a phone number, it is a business number not a personal number.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5899252182/

There is a huge back story to this building, and why it is in the state it is.

Kestrana
    Participant

In general things of a personal nature such as phone numbers and license plates should be blurred out (these cases don’t violate the rules of farktography). If it’s on a billboard or business sign though, it would be different. Something like that could go either way. Bottom line, if you’re uncomfortable with the general public seeing the number, blur it.

P.S. your photo is marked private so we can’t view it 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Can’t be any worse than this place:

Lava field by Orionid, on Flickr

At least, nothing a bulldozer won’t fix.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What are the rules regarding posting of phone numbers? I have a shot with a ‘for rent’ sign with a phone number, it is a business number not a personal number.

Business numbers usually aren’t a problem, though if you blurred it out, no one would have a problem with it. Personal numbers definitely should be blurred–Fark has a rule against posting personal/private information, so even though we don’t have a specific rule about that in Farktography, it’s always been acceptable to blur things like that.

QueenBee
    Participant

How about something that people walk through frequently, but it’s in total disrepair? Case in point, my pics from the Graffiti contest were taken on the Asbury Park Boardwalk, On each end they had these buildings where shows were held, etc. One end has been totally renovated while the other end sits open to walk through but is falling apart. Does that work?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I just changed the settings on the photo.

Thanks for the answer, I think I’m going to edit out the number.

ravnostic
    Participant

How about something that people walk through frequently, but it’s in total disrepair? Case in point, my pics from the Graffiti contest were taken on the Asbury Park Boardwalk, On each end they had these buildings where shows were held, etc. One end has been totally renovated while the other end sits open to walk through but is falling apart. Does that work?

I think that should work fine. I’d suggest trying to get images without people in them, though, in keeping with the spirit of the theme.

Grafitti hasn’t come up in this thread. I’m avoiding it, trying for as ‘abandoned’ as I can get. But there’s so damned much of it (including in the 800 year old ruins at Tonto National Monument, from the 1920’s-70’s!) that it would be too restrictive to forbid it.

Damned taggers…

justkat
    Participant

What do y’all say about stuff abandoned in our garage? Life after roomate? It’s been 3.5 years…. 😉

U-Man
    Participant

I had the abandoned person thought, too. I agree with rav‘s input.

Ennipoet, do you refrain from taking photos of homeless people out of respect?

I love this theme and wish I could have done some dedicated pics for it. Damn life got in the way though. I haven’t really done a proper search of my files and we’re going out for dinner. I’ll be posting late.

Oh yeah, rav, thanks for the compliments on the Chicago lady photo. She was not homeless. She was selling some sort of newspaper on the street. It is from “A Day in the Life” theme. While I really like the photo, I’ll admit that it probably would not have won without the story. Then again, the story is 100% true. 🙂

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Well, I think I’m going to sit this one out-the only shot I have that I would consider using was already used in a previous contest. Unfortunately I just didn’t have time to go out and shoot stuff this week. I’ll be watching it as avidly as ever, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)
  • The topic ‘07-06-11 – Abandon All Hope 2: Life After People’ is closed to new replies.