07-16-08 – Wind Beneath My Wings

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-16-08 – Wind Beneath My Wings

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I tried not to post this, but sometime the NY Post headlines in my head must be broadcast…

FutherMucker Flags Flying Fried Fowl Photo as Foul for Forbidden Finagling?

FutherMucker
    Participant

Well done !!!! 😆 😆

I’m Friggin’, fantastically flabbergasted.

I wouldn’t have raised an eyebrow, but the bottom of that bucket appears to have “selective application” applied….I honestly hope I’m wrong. I love just about every photo U-Man has entered. I apologize if I have offended you for questioning this image…That was not my intention.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

For what it’s worth, here’s a shot I like but decided not to submit this week (since the birds are the main focus of the image).

Pelicans at sunset

It’s from yet another set I took documenting how severe the wildfire smoke/ash has been. I don’t know why capturing images of the side effects of the fires is so compelling to me. It’s not as if wildfires are a new phenomena in California. But they are much worse this time and the visual impact to people hundreds of miles away is pretty surreal.

mopsy
    Participant

Mods, Am I blind or did my kite get thrown out. There’s another kite on the thread. I will not be able to see your responce until later today. Thanks.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

P.S……I still question “selective application” in this case.

I know this sounds harsh, but even the ~”BOOBIES”~ Farktographers deserve a fair chance….Yes ?

Well sure., we definitely want to keep things fair for everyone. Looking at the light direction, I sort of expect the bottom to be a bit brighter, but it would depend partly on the shutter speed and other objects out of the frame that might be blocking some of the light to the bottom. I’ve also taken photos in mixed light and shadow where I expected the shadow areas to be brighter but they weren’t–they were quite dark. So my jury is out on that point. But ultimately I’m not sure how much advantage it would really confer for U-Man to (hypothetically speaking) selectively burn the underside of the bucket. Yeah that would be against the rules, I just don’t know how much that would really help his voting. Just my thoughts. It’s not bad to call things like you see them because we do want things to stay on the up and up. But ultimately we all have to be on our best honor.

.Mods, Am I blind or did my kite get thrown out. There’s another kite on the thread. I will not be able to see your responce until later today. Thanks.

Nope, I see it at 2008-07-16 08:04:08 PM

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

whoops…sorry for my 2 flubs… hopefully the 3rd try doesn’t get nuked!!! Great pics everyone!

justkat
    Participant

Hey, my husband is kicking my ass in this contest. And rightly so, his pix are better than mine. But as this is his first and my third, sheesh! heeheehee. However, he’s a better photographer and also had better pix sitting around. I think I’m going to do better in next week’s. Not necessarily better than him, but better than this week’s. It would be difficult to do worse. 😛

soosh
    Participant

what happened to my eagle picture? it was deleted once, and i thought there was a problem with the path, so i posted it again from a new location on my website, and now they are both gone.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I dunno…I’ve seen it disappear a couple times with hosting hiccups. I’ll check again.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Looks like a hosting blip again. It’s back but I don’t know why that one’s disappeared repeatedly but the others are ok. Maybe more people clicking on that one to see the larger size? Wouldn’t think that would matter for the overall hosting, though.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And it disappeared again. I restored it again, but I really don’t know what’s going on.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ve emailed the powers that be to see if they have any insight…

Killerclaw
    Participant

Damn, I would have been better not entering then using two throw aways from the back catalog.

soosh
    Participant

For what it’s worth, here’s a shot I like but decided not to submit this week (since the birds are the main focus of the image).

Pelicans at sunset

It’s from yet another set I took documenting how severe the wildfire smoke/ash has been. I don’t know why capturing images of the side effects of the fires is so compelling to me. It’s not as if wildfires are a new phenomena in California. But they are much worse this time and the visual impact to people hundreds of miles away is pretty surreal.

I know what you mean about the surreal aspect. We often get altered sunsets from fires in the interior of Alaska, 600 or more miles away. On occasion, we’ve gotten haze from sandstorms in Mongolia or fires in Russia, which just thrills the weather nerd in me to no end.

soosh
    Participant

I’ve got to say I’m a bit surprised by how low mine did this week. Stiff competition as always, and I don’t mean to take anything away from the high vote getters, because I like all of them and voted for several. Just thought mine would get more votes as well.

Here are a few that didn’t make the cut:

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • The topic ‘07-16-08 – Wind Beneath My Wings’ is closed to new replies.