09-23-09 – A Day Late and a Dollar Short

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-23-09 – A Day Late and a Dollar Short

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

For clarification, I added some examples and a line about no specialty themes that go beyond normal rules.

corsec67
    Participant

What about themes like homeless, where basically anything was allowed (that didn’t break the rules)?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think that’s pretty similar to Inept Farktographer where most anything was allowed…what was a “screw up” was ultimately defined by each person personally, so there wasn’t much in the way of rules for it.

justkat
    Participant

My instinct is to avoid “themeless themes” so that it’s very clear why the farktographer wanted the picture in question for the contest in question…. it was just too late. Are you following me? I think that would be pushing it a bit with “homeless” contest, myself because of that themeless theme feeling about it. Arguments can be made, and I’m willing to listen, but that’s my feeling on the spirit of this contest.

linguine
    Participant

My instinct is to avoid “themeless themes” so that it’s very clear why the farktographer wanted the picture in question for the contest in question…. it was just too late. Are you following me? I think that would be pushing it a bit with “homeless” contest, myself because of that themeless theme feeling about it. Arguments can be made, and I’m willing to listen, but that’s my feeling on the spirit of this contest.

I agree with leaving out all themeless contests because otherwise this would essentially be themeless too.

justkat
    Participant

Elsinore – what do you think about changing the theme description to something like “difficulty: standard themes only; in other words: no __” and then all that other stuff? Makes it look more like I’m not picking on specific themes but instead just going old-school or whatever, if you see what I mean.

mopsy
    Participant

I think I’ve got it. Thanks.

Oh, and justkat, congrats on being in both the Color Popping theme top 10 AND the stats top 10. I love the pic of the girls. At first glance they almost look like they are floating, until you see they are sitting on the limb of a tree.

justkat
    Participant

*blush* Thank you Mopsy.

And lol, I didn’t see the “floating” because I’ve been looking at that picture for so long… I just looked at it with “fresh eyes” and could see what you mean. 😀 I’m so pleased it did well because it really honestly is one of my favorite pictures I’ve ever taken.

By my calculations I’ll probably be back off the stats top 10 next week, but it was fun to see my name there!! 😀

kashari
    Participant

One more point of clarification, the pictures have to have been TAKEN after whatever contest they’d fit in, right?

oops, I lied, one more thought – I’m guessing we shouldn’t go out and shoot something new to use?

linguine
    Participant

One more point of clarification, the pictures have to have been TAKEN after whatever contest they’d fit in, right?

oops, I lied, one more thought – I’m guessing we shouldn’t go out and shoot something new to use?

Question 1, the pictures have to be taken after the contest.
    Question 2, good question.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I believe the spirit of the theme is to show something you took after the theme and said to yourself, Dammit that woulda been great for… but not to specifically go out and shoot for a past theme.

But I suppose there is no way to stop someone from going out with the intent to reshoot.

/Honor system and all that

mopsy
    Participant

I’m having troubles finding photos that fit this theme. I have lots of B side photos in my files but if there was something I saw after the theme I don’t necessarily take a picture of it. I may go, “Damn I should have taken a picture of that for the last theme,” but I don’t actually take the picture. So does that leave me unable to enter this contest? It would be the first one I missed since starting Fark.

justkat
    Participant

you may not use b-sides in the sense that you actually took the picture and considered it for the contest when the contest was running. we had a contest for that. however! you can go back through your archives and say “why the heck didn’t I think to use THAT picture for X contest?!”

Mopsy
    – you CAN enter this, and you still have time, even if you want to take new pix not sift through your archives. Go back through the contests and pick a favorite or three and go take pictures as if that contest were this contest. Say to yourself “if X contest were this week, what would I do differently?” or go back and take the pix that you thought of and didn’t bother to take because the contest had already run, or take the pix that you thought of when the contest was running but didn’t take because you decided to go a different direction. See? Not impossible at all. 🙂

justkat
    Participant

to answer that other question which i think i just did, i think it’s okay to take new pix if it’s something that you thought of already in context of a past theme but didn’t shoot because the contest had past.

mopsy
    Participant

Thanks! That opens it up some.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • The topic ‘09-23-09 – A Day Late and a Dollar Short’ is closed to new replies.