11-03-10 – Defunct

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-03-10 – Defunct

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Mounted on an original in-the-box circa 1977 Intel Development board.

You have an MCS-85 SDK board? One of these?

I worked on one of those while interning in college for the electric company here. By the time I left, the prototype area on the left side was completely filled with an RS-232 serial port, double the RAM (a whopping 4K, IIRC), and a 2716 EPROM reader/burner. I wrote a monitor program to talk to a dumb terminal through the serial port (which I had to hand assemble and then type in the opcodes using the hex keypad) to control the EPROM functions and the shop used it to duplicate firmware ROMS used in some kind of power monitoring device.

I also discovered that the ROMs used in Atari 2600 game cartridges then were just an inverter away from being a 2716. Using that information, one could have hacked a cartridge to hold a wire-wrap board where EPROMs could be inserted and then used the SDK to duplicate cartridges onto EPROMs. But I can neither confirm nor deny that that happened. 😯

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Almost forgot to add, olavf: If you do have one and ever decide to part with it, I would probably be interested. I saw one on eBay a couple of months ago go for $99.

On a more thread-relative topic, here are my bees. They’re all alts from my A’s, but I do really like the alt for the gold record, it just didn’t have the label properly aligned for the caption I wanted.

PandyFarmer
    Participant

He won’t. I’ve sort of suggested it, but he would rather have a camera all his own (not that I can blame him on that), but is is allowed to use mine (but will have to tell me first, of course).

Christmas is coming up…

olavf
    Participant

Mounted on an original in-the-box circa 1977 Intel Development board.

You have an MCS-85 SDK board? One of these?

Heh. That’s pretty cool. I haven’t done anything with this one, ’cause I have a ‘trainer’ from the CC classes I took – It’s basically the same thing without the breadboard area, and yeah, I know the pain of hand-entering op codes via the hex pad 🙄

These days I’m more interested in doing something with the collection of hardware I collected from working at Z-World, or even more fun, making use of some of the stuff from the motion control company I work at now. I’m sure the missus would love it if I got something – *anything* out of the house, but I dunno. It’s cool, and it’s in the box.
    http://www.follandfamily.com/TF/mypics/intel-0805.jpg

I’ll certainly let you know though 😉

lokisbong, thanks! I found that particular one in a collection of junk that was abandoned around Folsom that the town decided to turn into a museum. The countryside is virtually littered with such things though. I just love the curves on this one.

orionid
    Participant

After looking at what’s posted, I might have something to contribute, but I’ll wait until tomorrow to post, let my brain chew on it and also see if the pictures are worth posting at all. I love what I’ve seen so far though!

The longer you wait, the less votes you get.

orionid
    Participant

I also discovered that the ROMs used in Atari 2600 game cartridges then were just an inverter away from being a 2716. Using that information, one could have hacked a cartridge to hold a wire-wrap board where EPROMs could be inserted and then used the SDK to duplicate cartridges onto EPROMs. But I can neither confirm nor deny that that happened. 😯

Your newsletter, etc….

zincprincess
    Participant

A couple of B-sides. I’m pretty sure that at least one of these should have been A’s. My record of not being able to predict the taste of voters is well established.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1331/5144265824_b9ea94aa3a.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/4997090279_426a12a7c5.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/4997682880_c612bd2e49.jpg

ravnostic
    Participant

A couple of B-sides. I’m pretty sure that at least one of these should have been A’s. My record of not being able to predict the taste of voters is well established.

I feel the same way with mine. I love the ‘Slave St’ shot.

Kestrana
    Participant

After looking at what’s posted, I might have something to contribute, but I’ll wait until tomorrow to post, let my brain chew on it and also see if the pictures are worth posting at all. I love what I’ve seen so far though!

The longer you wait, the less votes you get.

It’s not even about votes. I post even I have crap. Participation helps you grow. I was confused why you said you wanted some ideas to grow and then posted that you didn’t want to play this week. Telling yourself you *have* to contribute even if it’s not your best is going to hold your photos to a higher standard. If you’re like me, you’re going to go back and reprocess a photo or come up with a last minute idea if you’re really not satisfied. It takes practice to get creative juices flowing. Plus the voting feedback in some sense directs you to what is working and what is not (although I have lots of photos that I really like that don’t win or aren’t even my highest place photo. It’s balanced out by the ones I think will do poorly and end up doing well.)

lokisbong
    Participant

I only had one bee this week.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lokisbongs-pictures/5130588120/sizes/o/
    I thought more color would be better.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

… the motion control company I work at now.

Cool! Is that as fun as it sounds?

Your newsletter, etc….

Hah! If you’re interested in the 2600, you should check out the Stella project. It’s a 2600 emulator for Windows/Linux. Doesn’t come with ROMs, though (although I may know where you could find some :wink:).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/4997090279_426a12a7c5.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/4997682880_c612bd2e49.jpg

I really like both of these.

I hope you don’t mind me offering unsolicited advice on one of your contest entries, but I think your zip drive photo could’ve been enhanced with a solid background. You’ve got a nice selection of color there and I think it would’ve popped more against a white backdrop.

I took U-Man‘s advice from a few threads ago and bought some white and black poster board from WalMart (I splurged and got the deluxe glossy for 97 cents). That’s what my photo of the Atari is sitting on (and what I used for my sliced mushrooms last week).

Participation helps you grow.

Agreed. Plus, once you get a taste of “victory” (however you define that), it’ll spur you on to try to take it to the next level for your next entries.

zincprincess
    Participant

I hope you don’t mind me offering unsolicited advice on one of your contest entries, but I think your zip drive photo could’ve been enhanced with a solid background. You’ve got a nice selection of color there and I think it would’ve popped more against a white backdrop.

I don’t mind at all. I took several pics of the zip drive a week or so ago. I wanted to try again because I wasn’t happy with the lighting, flash, etc. But then last night arrived and I didn’t have the time.

I bought one of those white three-sided cardboard things that kids use for science fair exhibits at Target. Probably should have tried using it for the zip pics.

orionid
    Participant

Hah! If you’re interested in the 2600, you should check out the Stella project. It’s a 2600 emulator for Windows/Linux. Doesn’t come with ROMs, though (although I may know where you could find some ).

It was more about the hardware hack / copy to EPROM aspect. I could just see [my mental image of] you chilling outside an Ames or K-mart in a black hoodie: “Pssst… You want Atari? I got games half off.” When I was a kid, there was rumor of a guy who knew a guy who’s older brother was able to copy nintendo games.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I could just see [my mental image of] you chilling outside an Ames or K-mart in a black hoodie: “Pssst… You want Atari? I got games half off.”

😆

Nah, the alleged acts described were never done for profit, just personal use. Buy, copy, return, play copies. (Of course, back then copying cartridges wasn’t a consideration so returns were allowed.)

Good times, until the ROM size limitations (4KB) forced game writers to come up with complicated bank switching schemes that prevented a simple one-to-one copy.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I don’t mind at all. I took several pics of the zip drive a week or so ago. I wanted to try again because I wasn’t happy with the lighting, flash, etc. But then last night arrived and I didn’t have the time.

I bought one of those white three-sided cardboard things that kids use for science fair exhibits at Target. Probably should have tried using it for the zip pics.

I liked this one too. The foreground colours are eye catching,

For me, I went to a fabric store and bought remnants of various colours and patterns. The golf club is on one of the purchases. It was cheap and covers the ‘studio’ aka the washing machine.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • The topic ‘11-03-10 – Defunct’ is closed to new replies.