12-01-10 – The Song Remains the Same

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-01-10 – The Song Remains the Same

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    justkat
    Participant

I have a third picture, but I don’t think I’m going to use it. It totally fits its lyrics, but it’s not a very exciting picture. 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Curious wrote: btw i tried curves on an image but couldn’t get the results i liked and used another one that just need a slight crop.

I was so busy with all my failures that I did not have time to experiment with curves. 🙁 I did find it though.

Mopsy, I stink at using curves. In large part, that is due to my red-green color ‘blindness’. I’m always afraid that I will make the image look really goofy and I won’t even notice. 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

So I go to the dollar store yesterday to get the ceramic figurine for my shot and the lady at the checkout says”these are so cute I bought one of each”(there was a whole set of them) to which I replied “yea I’m pretty much just gonna smash it with a hammer for a photograph” I don’t think she was expecting that response!

sleeping
    Participant

Bs – I shot a couple other alternatives for Feuilles mortes:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/awrose/5215523779/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/awrose/5216113622/

And I had considered sticking with Debussy for all three, with Brouillards (Mists):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/awrose/5037900636/
    and Feux d’artifice (Fireworks):
    Clinton Fireworks

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Bigger – http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/601/thedistancebycake.jpg
    Bigger – http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/884/thewallbypinkfloyd.jpg

Hah! I’ve got a feeling we’ll be hearing this a lot this contest, but I thought about both of those, too. I couldn’t figure out how to do The Distance, so good job there!

Here’s my “Another Brick In The Wall” from my b-sides:

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

… I couldn’t figure out how to do The Distance, so good job there!
    Here’s my “Another Brick In The Wall” from my b-sides:

Thanks! I tried about ten set-ups for that, using two different game boards … and still wasn’t entirely happy, so that’s why it’s a B. Is that wall of yours upside-down?

I want to comment on virtually every pic in the thread, but I’ll restrain myself for now and limit it to this:
    Queenbee, re “Black Hole Sun”: how did you do that effect – I can’t figure it out?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Is that wall of yours upside-down?

No, it’s just a normal zoomed shot of the side of the house, desaturated and contrast-boosted for effect. But now you’ve got my curiousity up – what made you think it might be upside-down (or what specifically gave you any indication of orientation at all, for that matter)?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

All my plans this week fell through, and I had to resort to some archive-diving. Wish I could have done this one:

Absolutely my favorite album these days. Sadly, I couldn’t get anybody to model for me.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Is that wall of yours upside-down?

No, it’s just a normal zoomed shot of the side of the house, desaturated and contrast-boosted for effect. But now you’ve got my curiousity up – what made you think it might be upside-down (or what specifically gave you any indication of orientation at all, for that matter)?

😯 WTF?! I swear when I wrote that the shadows were on top of the bricks, but it looks right side up now 😕

… and no I have not been drinking, but maybe I should start 🙂

Curious
    Participant

did not include the lion exhibit for my chance at ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’

best flash animation of that song you will ever see.

Curious
    Participant

having look at the contest to date it’s as great as i’d hoped.

and the money saying “derp” cracked me up. when i vote friday morning it will test the endurance of my clicking. unlike the last time we did this i found that immediate answers to the photos actually made me enjoy them more. so another “well done”.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

best flash animation … you will ever see.

Fixed that for you. 🙂 Seriously, though, thanks for that. I can’t believe I’ve never seen it. That was about the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while. Oh, to have that kinda free time…

orionid
    Participant

an hour’s worth of fun messing with Lord Nikon’s mind. 😀

Hackers?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Ennuipoet: Nice job on the Physical Graffiti. Really has the album’s look to it. I guessed it even before scrolling to the text.

Elsinore: I’ve had a couple of ideas lately that would’ve been enhanced by smoke but I wasn’t sure how to go about it. Any pointers you’d like to share on generating and photographing a good smoke wisp?

olavf: Nice beer selection, one of my favs. And forty’s not that bad, really. Now FIFTY, them dude’s is old! 🙂 (which I can only say in jest for a short coupla more years)

Curious: Your RS cover got an actual out-loud chuckle from me.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

For my smoke, I used resin incense with a charcoal disk in a swinging censer. Some resins smoke more than others; I used both dragons blood and amber, which both smoke a lot. Unfortunately, I was only down to a small chunk of charcoal that I’d broken off another piece, and it was too late in the game to get more when I took the shot this afternoon. It’s also old charcoal, so it didn’t light well, otherwise I would have had a lot more smoke. I really had to play with different swinging patterns to get a nice effect. The result is actually a combination of motion blur from the censer and the movement of the smoke coming out of it. The exposure was 4 seconds. You could also experiment with incense sticks, which would allow you to wave them where you want, but you may have to use multiple sticks to get enough smoke. I’d actually intended to use some stick incense, but I couldn’t find where I’ve stored it away. I’m sure I’ll find it tomorrow now that I’ve already shot that one. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 184 total)
  • The topic ‘12-01-10 – The Song Remains the Same’ is closed to new replies.