12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Next issue, anyone know how I can figure out what the effective magnification is?

Magnification in this context is simply the ratio between the size of an actual object and the size of the image being projected by the lens. So, assuming a sensor width of about 22mm (normal for Canon), and projecting that un-vignetted you’d have about 66mm of ruler showing, that would give you a magnification of about 22/66 or 1/3x.

Zooming to 80mm should approx, double that to about 2/3x, but to get into real macro territory, you’d need to mount it onto a longer lens.

Incidentally, if you go by the rough rule of thumb that stacked lenses gives you magnification approximately equal to the ratio of the focal length of the lenses, that suggests the focal length of the darlot lens is somewhere in the vicinity of 135mm.

Good to know! I’ve used it with my 70-300mm at 300mm; at that mag., I can just fit in 1 centimeter, which makes it about a 2x by my reckoning.

SilverStag
    Participant

I went archive diving this week, to be absolutely sure everything I had was shot with a prime: all my shots are from “A time before Zooms” (ca. 1978)

I went with photos that have a story behind them, just in case anyone asks 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

Was kind of curious what that comment about a denoument referred to.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    SilverStag
    Participant

Was kind of curious what that comment about a denoument referred to.

Since you asked 🙂

You’ll notice what movie is playing at the theater in the photo; this is germane to the plot.

I spent all of 1977 out of the country, floating around Europe and North Africa, before lighting in Berlin, and I had, pretty much by chance, completely isolated myself from popular American culture at the time.

Fast forward to an autumn afternoon in 1978: I am probably the last American on the planet who has no idea or inkling of the Star Wars phenomena. I had literally never heard of the movie. I have the afternoon completely free: the kind of freedom that comes with an idea that it’s wrong not to use it productively. I’d been struggling with my conversational and colloquial German lately, and decided it would be a good idea to go to a German-language film to improve my skills in that area.

I was wandering around the city when I remembered seeing a theater near the Europa centre, so I grabbed a U-bahn from Oskar Helene-Heim to Wittenburgplatz and walked up the street to the theater.

I saw the posters: Krieg der Sterne. . War in the stars, I thought. This sounds like a 1950’s science fiction serial, and the picture of the silver robot looks kinda neat and sort of mindless fun. I paid my Dm4,50 and took a seat.

Now the Berlin Royal was like an IMAX before ther were IMAX’s: a huge screen that curved waaaaay up above you; they showed 70mm prints there. I remember thinking that this theater was kind of overkill for a science-fiction potboiler. I looked around, and I was literally almost the only person in the theater. (On a weekday matinee, so it made sense in retrospect)

The movie started, I jumped at the huge KRIEG DER STERNE logo, and then busied myself trying to read the scroll in German so that I’ll have a sense of the move. As the scroll receded, I thought Gee, I’ve never seen an effect quite like that before. Little did I know.

The screen panned down to the planet, and then the rebel ship comes blasting out of the top of the screen chased by laser fire. Wow, that’s pretty damn neat, I think. I wonder what’s chasing–

HOLY FUCK! I think I said it out loud- that Star Destroyer entering from the top of that 70mm screen was an overpowering, menacing, oppressive presence. I literally could not breathe and was in cold sweats. My fight-or-flight reflex went to full Red-Alert, and I felt a strong urge to whizz myself right then and there.

I think my brain went into a reset loop for the next minute or so. The next thing I remember was Darth Vader’s entrance. You think he sounded ominous all filtered and raspy like that? Try it in German.

The thing to remember about Star Wars, if you haven’t seen it in a while, is that quite a lot of the dialog is radio chatter and robots, etc for the first maybe 20 minutes or so. Lucasfilm also spent a lot of money to get the foreign dubs right, so they were very good, as well. German being my second language, I wasn’t as attuned to lip movements as I might have been, which contributed to the illusion as well.

I was sitting there in the theater, stunned, and drained, and it wasn’t even a half-hour into the movie yet. Where the fuck are all the people? I wondered. This is maybe the best movie ever made, and no one’s watching it?? I looked around at the empty theater. Is it because it’s not a big Hollywood picture? I was still under the impression that I was watching a German movie. (And how did the Germans get this far ahead of us in movies, anyway?)

Slowly, I twigged to the idea that this was, in fact, a dubbed film, and the credits confirmed it- it was a Hollywood movie all right. I felt somehow cheated- for those few minutes at the beginning of the move, I felt like Magellan, on a voyage of discovery, literally unable to wait and go tell my friends about what I’d found.

Before this episode, movies to me were just television writ larger, to be seen at the multiplex at the mall. I had had no real experience with movies like other folks had, it turned out, and my self deception led me to all the wrong conclusions.

So that’s the story of me and the Royal Theater in Berlin. Hope you enjoyed it.

U-Man
    Participant

Okay. That’s a damn good story. I especially liked the Vader “Try it in German” bit. LOL’ed at that.

LeicaLens
    Participant

A few B-sides:
    http://flic.kr/p/8ZyZt5
    http://flic.kr/p/8ZyZs7
    http://flic.kr/p/8ZyZqY
    http://flic.kr/p/8ZyZqj

Not sure I made the right choices. Oh well, we shall see.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Okay. That’s a damn good story. I especially liked the Vader “Try it in German” bit. LOL’ed at that.

Sie sind Teil der Rebellen Allianz und ein Verr?ter!

/yeah, OK, that is Babel’d, my D- High School German isn’t up to snuff

ravnostic
    Participant

I must say, I’m especially impressed with the entries thus far this week. Else‘s tilt shots, Kestrana‘s flowers, U-man‘s “Can haz? been good” (damn you for one-upping my Blerticus!!), Mopsy, Orionid, Morning Breath, I’m No Big Deal, Ranger Joe, zittle chick, zincprincess…oh, hell, it’s a much shorter list of what I DON’T like than what I do. Votes are flying out like crazy.

Well done, all! A most enjoyable viewing experience. I didn’t think I’d like this contest nearly as much as I do. There is SO much talent in this group. I hope we get many more entries.

Uranus
    Participant

You’re the rebel alliance’s penis, and a traitor ? 😛 Which Star Wars was that, nad where do i get a copy…?

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

another killer crop of photos. can’t wait to get home and check them out, sling some votes. (work monitor is crud…..)

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Good job everyone. I really like this weeks (and last weeks) contest.

I haven’t entered in a few weeks, I’ve been busy with ‘life’ and have been fairly unmotivated. I’ll be back next week for sure, I’ve got a few ideas for shots.

Elsinore, I really like the Optimus Prime shot. I laughed when I saw it.

Silver Stag, love the story. I was in Amsterdam when Episode I came out, I was going to see it until I realized it would be in Dutch and I don’t speak Dutch.

Ranger Joe, amazing shots. I’m always impressed with what you enter.

ravnostic
    Participant

You’re the rebel alliance’s penis, and a traitor ? 😛 Which Star Wars was that, nad where do i get a copy…?

😯 “nad”? rebel alliance penis? 😯

I thought this was a family contest 😆

Kestrana
    Participant

Star Wars: A New Hoe?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’ll have you know that line, like Han not shooting first, was changed in re-releases. You just don’t remember it because it was a long time ago. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘12-08-10 – Optimus Prime’ is closed to new replies.