Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.

Forums Forums Projects and Collaborations Projects Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

True it would be a shame to lose Flavivirus’ pics but sclark5150 is also very important as they had 8 entries in the top 5. Really losing any picture would be a shame, but since I posted that 2 minutes ago I’ve already removed 2 from the list so I’m hopeful we’ll get most of them.

QueenBee
    Participant

True it would be a shame to lose Flavivirus’ pics but sclark5150 is also very important as they had 8 entries in the top 5. Really losing any picture would be a shame, but since I posted that 2 minutes ago I’ve already removed 2 from the list so I’m hopeful we’ll get most of them.

woo! that’s a start! hopefully more will be found or get their stuff together 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Melissa from Farkmodmin world has started contacting the remaining people we couldn’t contact!

evilzard
    Participant

Hey, Karen (Elsinore) said you want to use some of my photos? I don’t see my name on any list though. Maybe I was taken off? Anyway, if you do want to use one of my images, let me know which one so I can check if it’s okay to use or if it’s with my agency and we’d need to license it through them.

Thanks,
    -Jack (evilzard)

orionid
    Participant

Hey, Karen (Elsinore) said you want to use some of my photos? I don’t see my name on any list though. Maybe I was taken off? Anyway, if you do want to use one of my images, let me know which one so I can check if it’s okay to use or if it’s with my agency and we’d need to license it through them.

Thanks,
    -Jack (evilzard)

Kestrana (sitting next to me on the couch with a Pumkin Ale in her hand), is requesting that you email her at farktographybook (at) gmail (dot) com.

evilzard
    Participant

If I do, will she give me a Pumkin Ale or tell me where to purchase one in Santa Monica? I’m thirsty. And hilarious.

Kestrana
    Participant

Try your local Mr. P’s package store…oh wait California is a state whose alcohol laws make sense!

evilzard
    Participant

One of the few laws here that seems to make sense.

Kestrana
    Participant

http://www.kestrana.com/Farkbookv2.pdf

has been updated.

What’s new:

– Made corrections to names as requested
    – Caption info up to date as of this morning
    – Minor layout rearrangement
    – Found three photos that had been inadvertently left out and incorporated them
    – Completed index info layout and added space for biographies
    – Expanded horizontal 1st place photos to the bleed edges and customized the frames based on the individual picture sizes*

*I’m not sure I like the expansion to the bleed edges on these photos but it keeps horizontal 1st place photos consistent with vertical and square crops. Feedback?

ravnostic
    Participant

Okay, I like what I can see, but I still get error messages left and right–about 1/2 the pages don’t show up (error 20’s and 110’s and 10’s), a lot of the pics look like they were divided into parts and display monochromatic tones (yellows, reds, greens, blues) in each part, there’s a font I can’t get….

It’s frustrating, as I know you are working hard at this. I do have the latest acrobat reader, but it doesn’t help.

I can only assume that some of your toys aren’t compatible with mine, and I’m not getting the full picture, so to speak.

I also hope that my pic of Saturn looks a lot better in a working reader than it looks to me in my disfunctional system.

Kestrana
    Participant

What browser are you using? I have Chrome and it displays fine. I’ve also viewed in Firefox and it looks the same.

Are you using a mac?

Did you download the file and view it in your own Adobe Reader or are you viewing it through a browser plug-in?

millera9
    Participant

http://www.kestrana.com/Farkbookv2.pdf

has been updated.

What’s new:

– Made corrections to names as requested
    – Caption info up to date as of this morning
    – Minor layout rearrangement
    – Found three photos that had been inadvertently left out and incorporated them
    – Completed index info layout and added space for biographies
    – Expanded horizontal 1st place photos to the bleed edges and customized the frames based on the individual picture sizes*

*I’m not sure I like the expansion to the bleed edges on these photos but it keeps horizontal 1st place photos consistent with vertical and square crops. Feedback?

I like the expansion to the bleed edges, kestrana.

I have a couple separate questions for you.

1.) One of my photos appears to have been cropped to fit in with the layout (Backlit). I know that’s something you’re going to have to work around delicately, and I was wondering if I could re-crop the photo to the aspect ratio you are using. As it stands right now, I hate the way it has been cropped. Thoughts? If not, I can live with it and I don’t want to create any extra work for you if I don’t have to…

2.) I’m curious about the policy on zoo animals. I see at least 4 shots that include zoo animals in them that would be readily identifiable (one of them is acknowledged in the photo title). My local zoo has a “no profit” policy; meaning that photos of their animals can be published under certain circumstances, but never for profit. I assume that most other zoos have similar policies. How is that going to fit in with the book? We (the photographers) aren’t profiting from the photos, but the book is going to generate some proceeds.

Lastly, the .pdfs you are uploading are working fine for me. I’m downloading them and then viewing using my copy of Acrobat.

orionid
    Participant

If I do, will she give me a Pumkin Ale or tell me where to purchase one in Santa Monica? I’m thirsty. And hilarious.

http://www.shipyard.com/taste/ It’s a microbrew from Maine, and while I don’t see anything about mail order (every state has different laws and they have funny interactions), they do list the UPC numbers. You could probably talk to your local distributor about ordering some. I’ve had the VA ABC order stuff that wasn’t normally stocked for me with good results.

ravnostic
    Participant

Kes, Chrome, viewed via plugin, I downloaded it though and now it’s fine, so thanks for the suggestion. Something to look over on one of tonights breaks (yeay!–I get bored there.) Last name is Vall…, not Vill…

elsewise–looks good!

Kestrana
    Participant

1.) One of my photos appears to have been cropped to fit in with the layout (Backlit). I know that’s something you’re going to have to work around delicately, and I was wondering if I could re-crop the photo to the aspect ratio you are using.

Sure I’ll take a look at that particular photo. Some of the earlier pages didn’t get re-centered or adjusted properly because I was still learning the basics of InDesign, that might solve the problem right there.

My local zoo has a “no profit” policy; meaning that photos of their animals can be published under certain circumstances, but never for profit. How is that going to fit in with the book? We (the photographers) aren’t profiting from the photos, but the book is going to generate some proceeds.

To be honest I don’t have a complete answer for you on that. That’s really a problem for the publisher to deal with, but this is what I can tell you.

Technically none of the book proceeds are “for profit” as all the proceeds are going to either the public wing of fark or charity. As far as all the zoos I have shot at (Seattle, Tacoma, Chicago) none of those zoos had any restrictions on publishing their photos so I’m not sure how widespread it is.

For any place that is privately owned but allows public access, the general clause for “art’s sake” should cover most legal concerns unless you were taking pictures in an area designated with camera restrictions. The release form that was distributed does absolve me, Drew and fark.com from any legal issues associated with the photographs, meaning if a particular zoo did have a problem with a photo they would be directed to the photographer. Thus if you as a photographer have a concern about needing a property or model release for any of your photographs, it’s your responsibility to check that out and get what you need. I’m happy to pull any photos that would be questionable as I don’t want you getting in trouble.

The bottom line is, the publisher will probably take care of legal haranguing and have their own set of rules that may alter the contents of the book, but I don’t yet have any details on that.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 328 total)
  • The topic ‘Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.’ is closed to new replies.