Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.

Forums Forums Projects and Collaborations Projects Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    thepostess
    Participant

I like the idea of other people picking my shots. I know what I find interesting, because I shoot it, however it is a whole other perspective through someone else’s eyes.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I thought I’d already posted something in this thread, but going back I don’t see it. I guess it’s time to look into memory improvement meds, eh?

So, what I thought I’d already said is that I’d be more than happy to have any picture(s) of mine included in the project. And if other people are picking that seems like a cool twist to the process and I’m all for that too. The only caveat I’d add is that if the picture selected has people I know in it (family, friends, co-workers, etc…) then I’d have to make sure they were OK with it first. Other than that, anything goes.

olavf
    Participant

That sounds fair Choc-Ful-A. I’ve got a couple of pics that would fit that bill.
    /plus, we’re going to try and get them to buy them too, anyway, right? 😉

Also, anyone have thoughts on real names + fark handles, or just handles?

thepostess
    Participant

Real names and fark handles, IMO.

orionid
    Participant

I like Fark Handle + real name.

lokisbong
    Participant

I like Fark Handle + real name.

Works for me.

Kestrana
    Participant

There’s a couple things that probably should be decided if the community wants to proceed with this project:

1. Who or whom is going to be the leader(s) (i.e. the person coordinating and keeping up on any deadlines)?
    2. How many pictures do you want to include? This is directly tied to the size and quality of the book you are creating so all those questions kind of have to be answered together.
    For example, if you publish through blurb.com, a standard landscape size book is (10×8 in) 161-200 pages. The prices are for softcover: US $43.95 hardcover: US $56.95 imagewrap: US $60.95
    For a 200 page book, you might assume that 50% of the pages will have a single photograph on them, 35% will have 2, 10% will have 3 and 5% will be textual (table of contents, chapter pages, index etc). This gives you the opportunity to select approximately 300 shots total. If that’s too expensive or maybe the book isn’t as big as you want to go then obviously the number of pictures that can be included will change.
    3. What process should be used to decide which pictures make the cut? Critical mass consensus, voting, some mixture of methods, for example.
    4. Do you want input from the greater Fark community or just people who regularly contribute here?
    5. How is the book going to be organized?

I was a yearbook editor in high school and college, as well as publishing my own things through blurb.com so I’m somewhat familiar with this sort of process.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I was a yearbook editor in high school and college, as well as publishing my own things through blurb.com so I’m somewhat familiar with this sort of process.

Great!

Your in charge!

Thanks so much for volunteering!

😉

linguine
    Participant

Great!

Your in charge!

Thanks so much for volunteering!

😉

Well we’re off to a good start

Kestrana
    Participant

Hahaha, I’ll be happy to help for sure but as this is a community we definitely should have some community input.

Uranus
    Participant

Hahaha, I’ll be happy to help for sure but as this is a community we definitely should have some community input.

like money?

Kestrana
    Participant

I don’t think we need money for this project, just a donation of time.
    What I meant is that, as I’m a new contributor to this site, I don’t know much of the history of Farktography or who everyone is. I don’t know whether or not people are cool with just taking the project and running with it. Likewise, no one here knows me well; only my enthusiasm and a few sets of half-decent photographs.

Also there’s questions I would have about legality/copyright issues with some photographs (i.e. what do we do with some gorgeous pictures we’d like to publish but maybe the photographer cannot be contacted). As an editor you never work in a vacuum, you always have other sets of eyes look over your work. And while I might have one or several ideas to all the questions I posed above, it’s entirely likely that other people have different/better ideas or solutions. That’s what I mean by community input.

orionid
    Participant

This could almost use a forum of it’s own…. I’ve been scratching my brain on how to make an interactive database of “nominee photos” for a while, but I haven’t done any IT work in more than eight years. I doubt if I could code a hello world page right now without grabbing one of my old reference books.

I’m dumb. As I was typing above, I was thinking “something like a flickr pool…” We could just start a flickr pool, everyone could upload photos they’d like for consideration, and we could all vote theme-style. We could also do gallery or one of the other host sites, or find some other way to not exclude the non-flickr and/or yahoo-protestors.

Just kickin around some ideas. I still like my original suggestion of nomintate others’ photos, and then have them give the thumbs-up, but that would be a little more involved, logistically.

orionid
    Participant

Another idea, separate enough to warrant a separate post, is for everyone who gets a photo chosen, go one of two styles.

A) Photographer page, with Fark name, real name (or suitable nom de plume), short bio/blurb, and a small photo of the photographer Then all of that persons photos on the following pages.

B) Photos in some sort of flow so that as you turn through the book, you keep saying “wow” over and over again, and each photo labled with title, contest, and fark name. At the end of the book, have one or two pages with all the same info as option A, just having 8 or 10 (or more) photographers per page.

linguine
    Participant

Making a flickr group for this might be the easiest way, although a bunch of people would either have to sign up for flickr or just have someone else upload their pictures to the photostream of someone with a flickr account. As much as I like the idea of not being able to pick your own photos, it might be a lot easier for everyone interested to nominate 5 or so of their own photos, maybe 10 for u-man, and then start voting on photos from that pool with the limitation that you can’t vote for your own photos just to make it easier than telling people to pick 5 or 10 from the 35999 photos that have already been used.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 328 total)
  • The topic ‘Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.’ is closed to new replies.