Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.

Forums Forums Projects and Collaborations Projects Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Should we automatically consider every #1 & #2 picture as nominated already? Then ask from the pool of photos beyond that, each person could nominate up to 5 and vote for up to 5 more? I’m going to mess with a thing on my personal website and and see if I can get it to work as orionid is suggesting.

I think I would prefer as a reader to see photos in a flow with an index in the back containing the bibliographical information that has been submitted. That way photos with a particular style or theme can be grouped together in a meaningful way. That also means that people with more or less submissions don’t look like they’re hogging page time in the book or pathetically have only submitted 1 photo, etc.

Kestrana
    Participant

After messing with my website for a few minutes I think the easy way to go about what orionid suggested is to just create a dummy flickr account and have the password posted here so that anyone can log into it and add photos.

I just created a new Flickr account called Farkbook. http://www.flickr.com/photos/farkbook/
    You can upload the photo you want. In the tags section put the farktographer’s name. Then you can easily check before you upload to see if someone has already posted the picture by searching the tags. After the picture is posted, in the comments section you can put your own name and +1 if you’re voting for it. You could also then comment on any other pictures in the same manner.
    If you guys like this idea i will post the info.

Oooh another cool thing about this is that the blurb.com publishing engine can slurp from flickr or photobucket so the winning entries can be imported into the design portfolio automatically.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Ok, here is what I am thinking.

We make it a Farktography 2009 book. Use only photos from 2009. This will make getting permission from photographers much easier than trying to track down people from 2-3 years ago.

53 Chapters of photos
    Each chapter is 1 weeks contest, starting with Money Shots.
    1st page of chapter is the #1 photo.
    2nd page has 2&3 photo.
    3rd page 4 5 6
    4th page 7 -10
    5th page 11-15
    6th page 16-20
    7th 4 honorable mentions voted on by a committee that we form of regulars to this forum (volunteer)
    Obviously we would have to adjust page layout for ties and such.

Chapter 53 can be devoted to the best 10 photos of the year.Everyone who is interested can post their 3 best non top 20 shots from the year. We can post a Fark thread the last couple days of the year to vote on these.
    54th chapter will be photo credits.
    Playing with the Blurb bookmaker software this is a possible layout.
    10×8 layout. Softcover will be about 75 bucks.
    Trying our best to keep it under 400 pages.

anybody got any other ideas?

olavf
    Participant

I like it NBD. We’re going to have to address the multi-shot contests at some point (like Training Documents) but overall it seems pretty sound. @top-20 it should be pretty inclusive of most of the regulars too.

And, if it comes off well, we could make it a regular thing.

olavf
    Participant

Some additional thoughts: If we can’t contact the farktographer, we can’t use the image, plain and simple. I believe that Drew would have the right to use any of our images for promotion of Fark, because we had to agree to that when we signed up. Us mere mortals on the other hand…

To add to that legal mess, some of the shots are sure to require permission from the subjects, but that’s something we should ask the Farktographer to take care of, but it’ll have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis anyhow.

Kestrana
    Participant

That sounds like a great way to resolve many of the issues. However if we include up through photo 20, we have a lot of contests where we have multiple entries tied once you go past maybe #5 and certainly past #10. Also, 7 pages a chapter x 53 chapters = 371 pages + title page & index will probably rank in around 400 pages. That means if we self-publish, for a standard book it ranges between $76.00 – $94.00 depending on the type of cover you order.

I think it’s more realistic to include the top 10 photos for each contest, which reduces the page count to appx. 275, and $58 – $77 a book. (Using a formula of #1, #2-3, #4-5, #6-7, #8-10. Also allows for larger sizes of the pictures which does better justice to them imho).

nobigdeal
    Participant

Some additional thoughts: If we can’t contact the farktographer, we can’t use the image, plain and simple. I believe that Drew would have the right to use any of our images for promotion of Fark, because we had to agree to that when we signed up. Us mere mortals on the other hand…

To add to that legal mess, some of the shots are sure to require permission from the subjects, but that’s something we should ask the Farktographer to take care of, but it’ll have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis anyhow.

We definitely need permission from the photographer.

As for the human subjects,I believe this would fall under non commercial fine art. Model releases would be a good idea but I am not really sure we need them.

Not a laywer and don’t play one on TV

olavf
    Participant

As a thought: I like the idea of top 20 (or top 15) because it’ll include more Farktographers. Maybe we want to vet the images some, rather than reduce the number of places? For one glaring example, in Dragons I tied with myself for 3rd place, but I see no reason to put both pics in the book, especially since they’re very similar. Another thing that could be done would be to take only the best placing pic from any Farktographer in any given contest. So, if I got a 5th and an 11th place, only the 5th place one would be used.

Probably the best thing to do though, is to start culling through FSM and start getting an idea of how many pictures we’re dealing with (to date).
    /Schnee, is there any way you could give us a rough count for the year? # images in the top ten, 15, and 20?

olavf
    Participant

As for the human subjects,I believe this would fall under non commercial fine art. Model releases would be a good idea but I am not really sure we need them.

Not a laywer and don’t play one on TV

I’m not a lawyer either, by any stretch of the imagination. But, I’ve been reading enough about this crud in the past few days to make my head hurt, and I’ll probably need to re-read a lot of it before I can fully digest it. But the gist is, it would be a good idea to have the Farktographer get permission from anyone they’ve taken pictures of in a private, or intimate setting. In most cases it’s no big deal (no pun intended. well, maybe just a little) but in some cases, like QueenBee’s excellent shots of her nephew, it’d be in our (and her) best interests if she made sure it was okay with the kid’s parents.

Kestrana
    Participant

Maybe we want to vet the images some, rather than reduce the number of places? For one glaring example, in Dragons I tied with myself for 3rd place, but I see no reason to put both pics in the book, especially since they’re very similar. Another thing that could be done would be to take only the best placing pic from any Farktographer in any given contest. So, if I got a 5th and an 11th place, only the 5th place one would be used.

That sounds like a good filter to start with. Another suggestion is we could also use a % of the total. If 20 places is our baseline and most contests run about 200 entries, then we are including the top 10%. So contests with more total entries would go up to 20th place but contests with only say 70 entries might only include the top 7 pictures.

lokisbong
    Participant

All this “top ten” talk makes my pics a lot less likely to be in the book. I don’t think I have ever gotten above 15th place to date but I can’t wait to see the book either way.

nobigdeal
    Participant

All this “top ten” talk makes my pics a lot less likely to be in the book. I don’t think I have ever gotten above 15th place to date but I can’t wait to see the book either way.

Thats why I suggested top 20. Most of the regular participants have hit the top 20.

Also I had suggested an honorable mentions list because there are also many good shots that get submitted too late to catch up with the votes.

olavf
    Participant

I agree that we should have more than just the top ten. I’d like to include as many entries as possible and still have the book at a reasonable cost – this is eating into my lens budget you know 😉

Another idea might be to have a roughly fixed number of photos per contest? That might get us closer to a ‘fixed’ book size and allow a lot of entries. Or, come up with some weighted variable where the bigger contests get more pages versus the smaller ones.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I agree that we should have more than just the top ten. I’d like to include as many entries as possible and still have the book at a reasonable cost – this is eating into my lens budget you know 😉

Another idea might be to have a roughly fixed number of photos per contest? That might get us closer to a ‘fixed’ book size and allow a lot of entries. Or, come up with some weighted variable where the bigger contests get more pages versus the smaller ones.

I think top 20 works plus maybe 1-4 editors choice. Going back over the past few weeks I see that going top 20 will be between 20- 23 photos (ties).

Top ten would be ideal but then I am afraid it would be the U-man, Soosh, Elsinore book. (not that that wouldn’t be an awesome book);)

I’m not too keen on the idea of removing photos because someone will appear twice or three times. I mean, that’s the way the voters chose them that the way they should stay. I’m thinking of U-mans top three week, would you really want to pull any of those out?

I am going to play with the Blurb book maker software and make a dirty mock up of one chapter to see how it may look. I will email it to anyone who wants to download the software and look at it, add to it, bitch about it, or whatever.

olavf
    Participant

That’s a good point on removing photos. Just looking for ways to include as many people as possible…

If you’re going to play with blurb, I’ll see if I can’t get Kat involved, and between us figure out how many photos we’re dealing with.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 328 total)
  • The topic ‘Let’s Publish a Coffee Table Book.’ is closed to new replies.