02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

Well when we look historically at the photos we value the most, they pretty much fall in 2 categories

You forgot minimalist photos of the Rhine….

😉

ravnostic
    Participant

I didn’t have much difficulty with this one. I just went to the grand opening of the bar, said I was taking pictures of the event, and people posed–sometimes a lot of posing. Alcohol is a social lubricant! Whether they’ll get any votes or not I can’t say–the photographer was drinking also…

Farktographer
    Participant

I didn’t have much difficulty with this one. I just went to the grand opening of the bar, said I was taking pictures of the event, and people posed–sometimes a lot of posing. Alcohol is a social lubricant! Whether they’ll get any votes or not I can’t say–the photographer was drinking also…

Some of my photos I’m thinking of submitting were definitely influenced by booze – on both sides of the camera.

orionid
    Participant

I usually say that I have to take photos of people I don’t know for a “project”.

I like how you think.

orionid
    Participant

I don’t suppose anyone would notice if I used a photo of people I do know?

Submariners…. by Orionid, on Flickr

ennuipoet
    Participant

Damn. Now I have to choose a different photo to enter. I have one just like this. 🙂

Well, yeah, but it IS a self portrait 😛

ravnostic
    Participant

I don’t suppose anyone would notice if I used a photo of people I do know?

You simply gotta introduce me to your friends!!

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’d decided not to use performers this week for reasons of artistic purity. Then I realized this was Fark, and artistic purity goes out the window. So, performers are back in, along with hot girls, cute kids and giant stryofoam bras.

U-Man
    Participant

Well, yeah, but it IS a self portrait 😛

OK. That got me. 🙂 I guffawed.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

So yes, portrait-style close-up photos. Not just photos of “people” in general.

Okay, now I’m wondering if any of my possible entries will work. I do have pictures of strangers, but very few are at what I’d consider a traditional portrait (maybe one or two at most). Anybody care to take a look and let me know if any of these will be alright?

Farktographer
    Participant

2 and 5 are sort of in-line with what I was thinking – moreso 2

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Just to clarify and avoid embarrassing myself, is the requirement for this theme that we talk to strangers and ask them to take a photo up close? Or just to take photos of strangers up close? I’ve got shots from street festivals, protests, etc… but I generally didn’t wind up talking to the people in the photos.

Farktographer
    Participant

Just to clarify and avoid embarrassing myself, is the requirement for this theme that we talk to strangers and ask them to take a photo up close? Or just to take photos of strangers up close? I’ve got shots from street festivals, protests, etc… but I generally didn’t wind up talking to the people in the photos.

It’s a personal choice – I like to explain to most of the people that I’m doing it for a photo project, and if I get a good shot I’m willing to exchange e-mails so I can send them the edited photo after. If I just happen to capture someone in passing though, I won’t bother approaching them. It’s not necessary, but it’s nice.

/Also, found out yesterday that UK laws allow me to take photos of complete strangers and give me rights to publish them and even make money off them without a model release. WTF? I mean, nice for me as a photographer, but that sort of sucks for everyone else (not that I’m going to be selling these photos anytime soon).

Yugoboy
    Participant

2 and 5 are sort of in-line with what I was thinking – moreso 2

Good. Looks like I got it right.

I dumped a whole bunch in my flickr stream last weekend, and I’m pretty sure every one of them would satisfy you Farktographer.

As for the difficulty of this factor, there is definitely a psychological wall, and for relative introverts like many of us, that wall’s never going to go away, but like ennuipoet I’ve found some reward in punching little holes in that wall. It does become easier over time. Not always a lot easier… but easier.

I like what I’ve got this week, and I’m definitely looking forward to trying this again in 18-24 months.
    (Still gonna get outgunned by many of you, but that’s not the point…)

Kestrana
    Participant

Farktographer I think that’s more so you don’t get sued by people when you take a picture of say, a street carnival with recognizable faces in it. The US actually has the same kind of law about “no expectation of privacy” when you’re in a public place.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 168 total)
  • The topic ‘02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange’ is closed to new replies.