02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

In the end, breaking out of your comfort zone is really hard in street photography. What I have learned is that 90% of the people don’t even know you’ve taken their photo unless you get right in their face to do it. I’ve been working at lot on shooting from the hip, carrying my camera by my side and shooting up, down and to the side as I walk past. I am starting to get better results after some months of practice.

Most of my shots, however, are by going to places where people know and don’t care about photographers. Parades of any stripe are rich meat for street photography and not the performers either, but the spectators.

Yeah, now I wouldn’t feel as creepy about it at an event type of thing where people expect pictures to be taken, yours of the parade(?) are really good. But, just shooting people going about their day isn’t for me.

I like to be ‘invisible’ when out & about and if someone takes a pic without asking, that would really bother me. I also think people should be told if it’s going to be used online or in any other public type of display.

lokisbong
    Participant

I would like to think I did a good job getting past my discomfort with asking people if I could take a few pictures of them. I only have three even decent choices for this week but I like to think they are pretty strong candidates for more than 3 votes each. we shall see. I asked more people who didn’t like the idea and even tried the sneaky method with some other people but never seem to get the focus right or frame the shot very well so I just swallowed my fears and asked a few people.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Farktographer I think that’s more so you don’t get sued by people when you take a picture of say, a street carnival with recognizable faces in it. The US actually has the same kind of law about “no expectation of privacy” when you’re in a public place.

Yes but I also believe (IANAL) that an individual has a right of ownership to their likeness in the US. It has been a while since I read through the material but it is why there are model releases. I think it comes down to money,.. if you are going to publish their likeness for money, you need their say so.

That having been said, I am not sure that a photographer is protected against someone whose likeness is published for no money, as in art, portfolio or contests with no purse (farktography). Examples of the money side gone wrong include photo subjects who did not like the way the image was presented or edited. I imagine that even if there was no money involved, someone could get huffy about subjective things like that, I just don’t know if they have a basis for dragging you into the court system

This is primarily why I am sitting this one out, that and I am a functional introvert.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

2 and 5 are sort of in-line with what I was thinking – moreso 2

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll sit this one out, then, since only one of my entries really fits.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I don’t shoot 1/2 as many random crowd shots as I should. When I was shooting for Backlash a few years ago, shooting the crowd was definitely mandatory because of the freakshow that followed them around.

kashari
    Participant

Just to clarify and avoid embarrassing myself, is the requirement for this theme that we talk to strangers and ask them to take a photo up close? Or just to take photos of strangers up close? I’ve got shots from street festivals, protests, etc… but I generally didn’t wind up talking to the people in the photos.

It’s a personal choice – I like to explain to most of the people that I’m doing it for a photo project, and if I get a good shot I’m willing to exchange e-mails so I can send them the edited photo after. If I just happen to capture someone in passing though, I won’t bother approaching them. It’s not necessary, but it’s nice.

/Also, found out yesterday that UK laws allow me to take photos of complete strangers and give me rights to publish them and even make money off them without a model release. WTF? I mean, nice for me as a photographer, but that sort of sucks for everyone else (not that I’m going to be selling these photos anytime soon).

I think the dividing line is if you’ll be using an individual’s image to promote a commercial product, then you need a release.

Most publishers will require one be sent or say that you need to have one on-hand, just in case. Even if they’re recognizable (in a public setting), technically I don’t think you need a release even to sell prints or whatever. If you’re going to use a pic you took of Joe Blow in an Ad to say your mama’s restaurant serves the best pie in town, then you need one.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just FYI: I did add the clarifying statement that non-street locations are fine.

Farktographer
    Participant

I actually ended up going out yesterday for some last-minute shots to see what I could get. Liked them more than the stuff I had going in beforehand. Some early B’s:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6803847895/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6803847333/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6803847079/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6803846807/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6803846651/

I’m having trouble choosing my final shot. Any suggestions between these two of the same guy?
    1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6803846529/
    2 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6803847687/

orionid
    Participant

Elsinore, I need a quick judgement. Are cartoon boobies kosher?

Throw Me Something, Mister! by Orionid, on Flickr

ravnostic
    Participant

farktographer I like #1 of the two better, YMMV.

This is the first contest in a while where I’m hopeful I might do decently. But you never know with the voters.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore, I need a quick judgement. Are cartoon boobies kosher?

Throw Me Something, Mister! by Orionid, on Flickr

It’s sorta sticking a toe up to the line, but I think it’s ok.

Farktographer
    Participant

farktographer I like #1 of the two better, YMMV.

This is the first contest in a while where I’m hopeful I might do decently. But you never know with the voters.

Thanks for the input – I was leaning towards that one, but wanted a little variety in my three sub’s and that was the only face-on headshot I took that turned out decently.

I’m hoping 2 of my photos do well…a little iffy on the third, but like you said, we never know with these voters.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

All this talk about festivals and such reminded me that I had a few that could actually qualify for this one. I was the “official” photographer (meaning I had the biggest camera and volunteered) for a BBQ festival, but they were all strangers and for all they knew I was just some dude walking around taking pictures.

Plus it was a pissy day at work and I needed an excuse to do something else. 😉

Farktographer, I actually like that last ‘B’ of the guy best (The Market).

A few early bees for those into BBQ competitions. Thought seriously about using the first B instead of the last A.

Kestrana
    Participant

Ok – model releases are great when you can get them and a must for studio work. But you *do not* need them for people you meet on the street or other places where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. Just think if paparazzi had to get releases from all the celebrities they take pictures of and then sell for profit…they don’t. And they don’t get sued for taking pictures in public, they get sued for harrassment and for doing things like peeping tom trying to photograph them in homes – where there IS an expectation of privacy.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Farktographer
    Participant

All this talk about festivals and such reminded me that I had a few that could actually qualify for this one. I was the “official” photographer (meaning I had the biggest camera and volunteered) for a BBQ festival, but they were all strangers and for all they knew I was just some dude walking around taking pictures.

Plus it was a pissy day at work and I needed an excuse to do something else. 😉

Farktographer, I actually like that last ‘B’ of the guy best (The Market).

A few early bees for those into BBQ competitions. Thought seriously about using the first B instead of the last A.

That first alternate…looks like he’s getting ready to cut himself a nice prime hand steak.

I liked that B, too, but I was torn between colour and sepia on different sides of the face. That guy was actually pretty photogenic, let me take shots for like 10 minutes, heh.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • The topic ‘02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange’ is closed to new replies.